CCL - March 8 - Comunicaciones (Home*)

that ref basically let all sorts of contact go last night. Best was when about four minutes in, Jasson attempts to go past a defender and just gets put down, and the ref says play on. set the tone for the night.

i still can't believe there was no VAR review of the obvious, malicious elbow into morales early in the game. he was rolling on the ground holding his back. you would think refs would at least take a look at that. it was clear and obvious to me he cocked his elbow before jamming it into morales, yet VAR seems to think that wasn't clear and obvious enough for even a monitor review.

however, the unclear and non-obviousness of whether the defender or santi touched the ball last to put Talles in on goal was sufficient for a review.

concacaf is absolute shit when it comes to refs.

Going to split my thoughts into two posts. One about the match and one about our squad.

I sat in Section 120 because I'm a fancy boy that needs to sit midfield. I was in the middle of the Crema fans. They were fantastic and brought it for most of the match. They were all around and above me in the upper deck. When they scored, they went fucking nuts and beer showered the 8 sections they were sitting in. Well done, Crema Fans. The ones I met were fantastic and friendly. That's the best experience I have had at a match in the US outside of our historic first home game.

They were set up for tailgating pre-game and the chochkey peddlers were out post-game as well. They were great.

Food selections were great. Beer was cold but overpriced. Poor value. Getting into the stadium was a nightmare. Do better Rentschler Field.

Confirmation that they are trying to play in RBA if we advance. That is their preferred location. But RBA hasn't acquiesced...if not RBA, they will be back in East Hartford. No other locations under consideration.

15,700 announced crowd. That's really good I think. 90% Crema fans easily. I don't see us winning in Guatemala. That's a decent time. One of the fans told me they are the best team historically in Central America. I would have guessed a team in Costa Rica, but maybe it's true (Mexico not included).

Reactions: Schwallacus
This reminds me to add a short post explaining the GIF of the Game in another thread - perhaps the most obscure one yet.

giphy.gif

Wikipedia also reports that the Club Mascot for Comunicaciones F.C. is the ghost "Gasparin" - which upon further research is what we call "Caspar the Friendly Ghost".
So you posted the wrong movie!

I don't see us winning in Guatemala.

it's definitely not going to be easy. I'm not so worried about the hostile crowd but the elevation on already tired legs is going to make a huge impact on performance.

Reactions: JCMore
tchotchke

definitely not "chochkey" though, it's a yiddish word

Coming from Mr "crap chute", I know I know...
One of the rarer Yiddish words that derives from Russian (tsatska, meaning toy or trinket), not German.

Reactions: Shwafta and JayH
That's something we've been doing a lot more of - certainly going back to last season. And it's not just Callens. Chanot has started doing so too. Basically, the CBs have a green light to advance the ball, and it is on another player to stay back. Typically, that's the CDM (last year, Sands; this year, Morales), but it can also just be the other two CBs.

i still can't believe there was no VAR review of the obvious, malicious elbow into morales early in the game. he was rolling on the ground holding his back. you would think refs would at least take a look at that. it was clear and obvious to me he cocked his elbow before jamming it into morales, yet VAR seems to think that wasn't clear and obvious enough for even a monitor review.

however, the unclear and non-obviousness of whether the defender or santi touched the ball last to put Talles in on goal was sufficient for a review.

concacaf is absolute shit when it comes to refs.

The announcers started in on the "CONCACAF is just more physical, the refs let a lot go, players, need to be ready for it....." total nonsense. Why do we have to accept this tradition of shit reffing and allowed physical play? CONCACAF follows the same rules as every other association in the world, call the game based on the rules you stupid goons.

The announcers started in on the "CONCACAF is just more physical, the refs let a lot go, players, need to be ready for it....." total nonsense. Why do we have to accept this tradition of shit reffing and allowed physical play? CONCACAF follows the same rules as every other association in the world, call the game based on the rules you stupid goons.

I don't mind physical play. I don't like too many whistles either. But dirty plays must be punished. A cocked elbow into someone's back during a set piece is as dirty as it gets and should be punished accordingly. Something like that is exactly why VAR was created. Shame they missed something so obvious.

different places just apply rules differently. In South America copa libertadores they have legit kicks flying and connecting and its a yellow. England applies VAR differently than the rest of europe. each region/ country has their own way of applying the rules.

for now it is something that needs to be prep for and dare i even say scouted? scout the refs see what their tendencies are etc.

Reactions: FootyLovin