Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
TBH, I don't care if we have a manager or not for this game. The team has played together for a while now, we have our own style, and managers tend to fuck up more than be successful in keeping things simple. I trust Maxi being a field general than basically anyone that could be on our sidelines.

If this is the worst manager hiring process you can think of, you're not thinking hard enough.

Two things to bear in mind:

1. Having a caretaker manager take charge of one game after a manager leaves is pretty typical. Every player on the squad will have probably seen this before. Some people on here are freaking out, but I somehow bet the players aren't.
2. Yes, yes, I get it, they had two weeks. Apropos of nothing, what's everyone's best estimate for how long a visa application takes for a Spanish guy, start to finish?
Between this and the Gio Reyna rumors, I am just surprised the forum freak out took so long to happen. I guess everyone is distracted by the World Cup.

Between this and the Gio Reyna rumors, I am just surprised the forum freak out took so long to happen. I guess everyone is distracted by the World Cup.
The Gio to Europe anger happened long ago.... the forums arelilely distracted by the WC, the 2week break, and also just fatigued from the seemingly endless PR gaffes by the club. They’re seriously starting to show they’re about as inept and out of touch as the original Metrostars were. And that’s a really low bar of ineptitude.

The club apparently made Ring and Johnson available to reporters specifically to address this issue, as MLS and The Athletic both had very similar stories yesterday with overlapping quotes.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...h-torrent-not-yet-town-business-usual-players

https://theathletic.com/402501/2018...isa-its-business-as-usual-for-nycfcs-players/

One item in the Athletic and not in the MLS story is that Ring said Torrent has not yet spoken to him (or presumably the other players). While my initial reaction to this was negative, I think it makes sense. If someone else is running the game Sunday, it makes sense I think not to have Torrent interfering with that in any way that reminds the players that the temp guy is not the real guy.

The club apparently made Ring and Johnson available to reporters specifically to address this issue, as MLS and The Athletic both had very similar stories yesterday with overlapping quotes.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...h-torrent-not-yet-town-business-usual-players

https://theathletic.com/402501/2018...isa-its-business-as-usual-for-nycfcs-players/

One item in the Athletic and not in the MLS story is that Ring said Torrent has not yet spoken to him (or presumably the other players). While my initial reaction to this was negative, I think it makes sense. If someone else is running the game Sunday, it makes sense I think not to have Torrent interfering with that in any way that reminds the players that the temp guy is not the real guy.
Didnt someone also post that he doesn't speak English?

Reactions: Kjbert
Didnt someone also post that he doesn't speak English?
Yes, but they will have to work through that when he gets here so it's not, I think, a reason, not to reach out now, even if a direct handset to handset phone call won't work. The way it was worded in the article (and it's a paraphrase not a direct quote) it appears there has been no contact whatsoever. No written statement saying "Hi I look forward to working with all of you," no group Skype with a translator. Nothing. I just think they want to affirm that right now Perez and Vartughian are in charge. My guess, anyway, and I'm good with that.

ETA: My prior post transferred the paraphrase as Ring hasn't spoken with Torrent, which probably over-emphasized the language issue. The article said that Ring said he hadn't heard from Torrent, and to repeat, that was not a purported quote. But I understand the phrase "didn't hear from" to include any method of communication, written or in person or telephone, or whatever.

Last edited:
Two months ago.

But otherwise basically correct. I will even raise you a bit. They didn’t need to create a shortlist when the rumors started. They need to keep one at all times. Competently run organizations need to be ready for events that can have a big impact, and this is one of the biggest.

Now, maybe they did have one, and they had more trouble than expected getting their preferred guy to say “yes”. But maybe they were just caught with their pickle in the wind.
Thanks - math is sometimes tough.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Are the people complaining that we took the "easy option" in a CFG assistant the same people complaining we didn't move fast enough? Do any of you people work or interface with recruiting and HR? *Internationally*?

There's 100 good discretionary reasons and another 100 reasons completely out of CFG's control why this process wasn't done overnight or perfectly on schedule. There's also 100 other things to complain about the way CFG doesn't business relating to NYCFC that are more important.

Are the people complaining that we took the "easy option" in a CFG assistant the same people complaining we didn't move fast enough? Do any of you people work or interface with recruiting and HR? *Internationally*?

There's 100 good discretionary reasons and another 100 reasons completely out of CFG's control why this process wasn't done overnight or perfectly on schedule. There's also 100 other things to complain about the way CFG doesn't business relating to NYCFC that are more important.
It’s optics. The club NEVER tells the truth regarding any sort of transactions. Had they said they were naming an interim manager while they worked on a permanent one, they’d be given more rope, but instead they said they expected Dome here last week. It’s completely disingenuous.

With the number of names that got floated from CFG for the job I wouldn't be at all surprised based on past experiences if things got slowed down for a number of different dumb bureaucratic reasons. Did they have a number of internal candidates that wanted the job and they burned weeks considering each of them or at least pretending to in order to keep people happy? Since we have seen that the decision making powers are anything but centralized was there disagreement internally that took time to sort out? Worst case to me still is that Dome was the pick and he was hesitant and they burned time talking him into it. All the other hypotheticals point to organizational dysfunction, but the latter points to a coach that may not be all in on the projects which to me is much worse.

It's also possible they did everything right and the US government processing the visa is the delay.

I know which of your two scenarios sounds simplest. Ockham's Razor, people!

Seriously guys, they announced the hire within HOURS of PV making it official with Nice. This ran like clockwork. The U.S. State Department does not. That's lame, but it's not on CFG.

Either way, I hope that by the time we're judging Dome's whole tenure as manager, the fact that he missed one game against Toronto in late June will be completely academic. If he's the right guy, he'll be here for years. No alarm bells for me just yet.

It’s optics. The club NEVER tells the truth regarding any sort of transactions. Had they said they were naming an interim manager while they worked on a permanent one, they’d be given more rope, but instead they said they expected Dome here last week. It’s completely disingenuous.

there is no "interim" though ....its Torrent permanent till 2020. It would make sense if someone would be named later if it wasnt him and they were waiting on someone from WC instead or someone outside of the CFG network.

i mean article did say "pending visa" so they are not flat out lying though. if anything they said this week since they perhaps thought they can fast track it and it failed? i dont know how long these things take, if i recall players it takes like two full weeks during the offseason/preseason.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

If they said "we don't know when he'll get his visa" people would complain about that too. They worked in the background to line up a coach, announced Vieira's departure, then immediately announced the new coach. When asked when he would be here, they said they "expected" him next week. Completely dependent upon the US government. Their expectation appears to have been off by about a week. Unfortunate, but ultimately nobody's fault.

The only optics I have a problem with was the snafu with the announcement going live on the MCFC site first, which appeared to be an accident in hindsight.

If they said "we don't know when he'll get his visa" people would complain about that too. They worked in the background to line up a coach, announced Vieira's departure, then immediately announced the new coach. When asked when he would be here, they said they "expected" him next week. Completely dependent upon the US government. Their expectation appears to have been off by about a week. Unfortunate, but ultimately nobody's fault.

The only optics I have a problem with was the snafu with the announcement going live on the MCFC site first, which appeared to be an accident in hindsight.
You’re acting as if he process was linear. It wasn’t - PV leaving and then CFG getting a replacement hired/processed were concurrent events. They could have started the visa process well before PV officially announced he was leaving because they damn well knew it was happening. Great organizations have emergency plans keyed up and ready to go - CFG with regard to NYCFC always seems to swinging off their back foot. It’s the norm, not the outlier.

ALTERNATIVE REALITY TIMELINE:

Monday June 11
Statement from Claudio Reyna: "The club and Coach Torrent are actively pursuing an expedited Visa and Work Permit. While we cannot control the speed of the process, it is our hope and expectation that Coach Torrent will be here in time to oversee final preparations for the June 24 game against Toronto and run the game from the sidelines. In the meanwhile, Assistant Coaches Perez and Vartughian will run practice, and prepare a game plan. Players are on break until Thursday of this week."

Thursday June 14
Reyna: "We still have no update on Coach Torrent's visa or work permit. As the players return from their break, as previously announced, Coaches Perez and Vartughian will begin running training sessions and preparing a game plan for Toronto. Javier and Rob know the team, know the league, and I have every confidence in their abilities to handle this situation. We also expect them and the team as a whole to maintain the positive atmosphere of both camaraderie and professionalism that were one of Patrick's signature achievements here at NYCFC."

Tuesday June 19
Reyna: "The possibility that Coach Torrent's arrival might come too late to have him in charge of the Toronto game is becoming more likely, as is obvious to everyone. Coach Perez will function as temporary Head Coach for the game. I have stopped by the workouts and they have been going well. I can also confirm, without any details of course, that our staff has put together a solid game plan. I have every confidence. Javi will be available to the press after Thursday's workout, as is our usual practice.

I am also happy to announce that though Coach Torrent has not been able to join us yet he has been active. He has successfully recruited _____, _____, _____, and _____ to round out the coaching and training staff. Bios of all 4 are included in the press packet and available on the team website. We are, of course, also actively pursing the necessary visas and work permits for all of them and look forward to welcoming them to New York City."

Thursday June 21
Perez: "Blah blah blah coachspeak."

Nobody has any damn reason to freak out. But in this reality the club holds back all information for as long as time and circumstances allow and I'm mostly damn tired about that.

Monday June 11
Statement from Claudio Reyna: "The club and Coach Torrent are actively pursuing an expedited Visa and Work Permit. While we cannot control the speed of the process, it is our hope and expectation that Coach Torrent will be here in time to oversee final preparations for the June 24 game against Toronto and run the game from the sidelines. In the meanwhile, Assistant Coaches Perez and Vartughian will run practice, and prepare a game plan. Players are on break until Thursday of this week."

Thursday June 14
Reyna: "We still have no update on Coach Torrent's visa or work permit. As the players return from their break, as previously announced, Coaches Perez and Vartughian will begin running training sessions and preparing a game plan for Toronto. Javier and Rob know the team, know the league, and I have every confidence in their abilities to handle this situation. We also expect them and the team as a whole to maintain the positive atmosphere of both camaraderie and professionalism that were one of Patrick's signature achievements here at NYCFC."

Tuesday June 19
Reyna: "The possibility that Coach Torrent's arrival might come too late to have him in charge of the Toronto game is becoming more likely, as is obvious to everyone. Coach Perez will function as temporary Head Coach for the game. I have stopped by the workouts and they have been going well. I can also confirm, without any details of course, that our staff has put together a solid game plan. I have every confidence. Javi will be available to the press after Thursday's workout, as is our usual practice.

I am also happy to announce that though Coach Torrent has not been able to join us yet he has been active. He has successfully recruited _____, _____, _____, and _____ to round out the coaching and training staff. Bios of all 4 are included in the press packet and available on the team website. We are, of course, also actively pursing the necessary visas and work permits for all of them and look forward to welcoming them to New York City."

Thursday June 21

Nobody has any damn reason to freak out. But in this reality the club holds back all information for as long as time and circumstances allow and I'm mostly damn tired about that.

Personally I want to see Claudio Reyna write daily updates with the kind of sincerity reserved only for Civil War soldiers writing back to their loved ones from the front.

"My dearest Cityzens....our coaching staff grows weaker by the hour, yet still the days pass with no sign of our new general. I fear we may never breach the Western Conference, and each day our midfield pivot seems to wither. On Sunday we must march on the wretched Canadians - yet I sit here in Orangeburg consumed by my failure to observe the sacred optics. O, my darling Cityzens! When will our scoundrel leaders truly respect the optics by which our great nation will live or die?"

Personally I want to see Claudio Reyna write daily updates with the kind of sincerity reserved only for Civil War soldiers writing back to their loved ones from the front.

"My dearest Cityzens....our coaching staff grows weaker by the hour, yet still the days pass with no sign of our new general. I fear we may never breach the Western Conference, and each day our midfield pivot seems to wither. On Sunday we must march on the wretched Canadians - yet I sit here in Orangeburg consumed by my failure to observe the sacred optics. O, my darling Cityzens! When will our scoundrel leaders truly respect the optics by which our great nation will live or die?"

Sullivan Ballou would be proud.

All joking aside, there’s something to be be said for not acting like you take your fans for granted. CFG clearly does.

Monday June 11

Thursday June 14

Tuesday June 19

Thursday June 21

The best thing about this alternative reality timeline is the unstated assumption that the media and people that aren't diehards give a shit about MLS or this team.

Reactions: adam and sundance