General MLS Discussion

I love how hard we are speculating about next year. When you are calculating DP opportunities in December when you should be calculating and sending in your taxes, the year’s not off to a great start.

There's little to no chance they hire a guy like Arena.
When Cushing gets axed the new guy is going to be another CFG underling and not a guy who is going public when he asks the front office for striker help and gets the 8th or 9th guy on his list or *gasp* another 18 year old.

I love how hard we are speculating about next year. When you are calculating DP opportunities in December when you should be calculating and sending in your taxes, the year’s not off to a great start.

According to the Athletic article, these changes go into effect for the summer transfer window. Not sure why they change the rules mid-season but it's not the first time.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Messi's goal last night was nice enough, but come on, long goals are not super rare. And I hate seeing tens of thousands of should be opposing fans erupt when he scores.

Reactions: Shwafta
It's especially delicious when the Union get robbed. Tee hee hee.
Not having seen the game, I would have thought the Union would be happy to get a point after going down 2-0 on the road at '63. But your comment plus some Curtin quotes have me wondering - did they get a very unlucky bounce or bad ref call?

Not having seen the game, I would have thought the Union would be happy to get a point after going down 2-0 on the road at '63. But your comment plus some Curtin quotes have me wondering - did they get a very unlucky bounce or bad ref call?
They had a goal waved off for offside which would have put them up 3-2 late. I thought he was played on, but admittedly, the angle may have been a little deceptive. But as it is, the ref never went to the sideline to take a look and it was close enough, he should have.

But I'm sure what really had Curtin steamed was the ref blowing the whistle right in the middle of a Union attack late in stoppage time. They were literally just about to shoot. Like, a second from taking a rip at goal. Philadelphia lost their minds, and rightfully so.

Reactions: mgarbowski
They had a goal waved off for offside which would have put them up 3-2 late. I thought he was played on, but admittedly, the angle may have been a little deceptive. But as it is, the ref never went to the sideline to take a look and it was close enough, he should have.

But I'm sure what really had Curtin steamed was the ref blowing the whistle right in the middle of a Union attack late in stoppage time. They were literally just about to shoot. Like, a second from taking a rip at goal. Philadelphia lost their minds, and rightfully so.

never understood why people lose their minds when time is up. it might be customary to let an attack play out before blowing the final whistle, but when do you decide when that attacking play ends? it could literally keep going on if it just keeps getting passed around the 18 with no real "clearance". the ref did nothing wrong if time ran out. it is what it is.

that being said - philly fans being upset is always nice to hear!

new jersey drawing at home was also nice to see as well.

never understood why people lose their minds when time is up. it might be customary to let an attack play out before blowing the final whistle, but when do you decide when that attacking play ends? it could literally keep going on if it just keeps getting passed around the 18 with no real "clearance". the ref did nothing wrong if time ran out. it is what it is.

that being said - philly fans being upset is always nice to hear!

new jersey drawing at home was also nice to see as well.
Honestly, it was pretty awful. Even the Atlanta fans were confused.

I just checked and the highlights haven't been posted to YouTube yet, but they should go up later tonight. They'll definitely be up tomorrow. It's worth checking out.

I occasionally lurk in the r/Referees sub in reddit and this issue comes up every few months. The overwhelming consensus is you blow the whistle when time is up. Allowing a phase of play to continue is at the ref's discretion but should not be overdone because it is not fair to the team without the ball to just let the attacking team keep going. You should probably let a fast break or a chaotic sequence in front of goal play out, but don't extend the game just because one team has possession near goal.
It's seemingly counter to what fans and players expect and what we often see in pro games but this really is the strong consensus among the refs there.
I went back to watch the end of the ATL-PHI game. Philly had the ball in the last third but there was no urgency or numbers. Inside the box there were five defenders against 2 attackers. A Union player in the corner passed the ball backwards past the 18 yard line when the whistle blew. Philly was being methodical. Time ended. So it goes. It's not like a delayed penalty in hockey where the whistle won't blow until the other team gets possession. When time ends if you're passing the ball 20 yards backwards you cannot complain.

FYI, the refs in that sub even advise you can call time before a corner. Not always, but sometimes. If time is up and the ball goes out, time is up. You're not entitled to the corner, especially if the ref already extended to let your attack play out.

I occasionally lurk in the r/Referees sub in reddit and this issue comes up every few months. The overwhelming consensus is you blow the whistle when time is up. Allowing a phase of play to continue is at the ref's discretion but should not be overdone because it is not fair to the team without the ball to just let the attacking team keep going. You should probably let a fast break or a chaotic sequence in front of goal play out, but don't extend the game just because one team has possession near goal.
It's seemingly counter to what fans and players expect and what we often see in pro games but this really is the strong consensus among the refs there.
I went back to watch the end of the ATL-PHI game. Philly had the ball in the last third but there was no urgency or numbers. Inside the box there were five defenders against 2 attackers. A Union player in the corner passed the ball backwards past the 18 yard line when the whistle blew. Philly was being methodical. Time ended. So it goes. It's not like a delayed penalty in hockey where the whistle won't blow until the other team gets possession. When time ends if you're passing the ball 20 yards backwards you cannot complain.

FYI, the refs in that sub even advise you can call time before a corner. Not always, but sometimes. If time is up and the ball goes out, time is up. You're not entitled to the corner, especially if the ref already extended to let your attack play out.

exactly what i think it should be. even if a ref were to blow the whistle during a fast break, there really is no room to complain. it is at the ref's discretion. I've never seen it happen though and if philly played it backward instead of attacking the goal, final whistle is definitely fair. suck it philly!

exactly what i think it should be. even if a ref were to blow the whistle during a fast break, there really is no room to complain. it is at the ref's discretion. I've never seen it happen though and if philly played it backward instead of attacking the goal, final whistle is definitely fair. suck it Philly!
Highlights are up:

Highlights are up:

yea i just came to comment. philly should have lost. their 2nd goal could have easily been chalked off if the ref wanted to. the throw-in was foul since the player stepped foot into the field. It's not often that foul throws are called at this level but I would have loved it if they took away philly's goal for it.

the offsides call was very close. but i think it's fine. the call on the field stood because there was no CLEAR AND OBVIOUS reason for VAR to intervene. could be argued that his shoulder was leaning offsides, which is sufficient.

final whistle was fine for me. haha no one looked like they were interested in attacking. SUCK IT PHILLY. lucky to get the draw

yea i just came to comment. philly should have lost. their 2nd goal could have easily been chalked off if the ref wanted to. the throw-in was foul since the player stepped foot into the field. It's not often that foul throws are called at this level but I would have loved it if they took away philly's goal for it.

the offsides call was very close. but i think it's fine. the call on the field stood because there was no CLEAR AND OBVIOUS reason for VAR to intervene. could be argued that his shoulder was leaning offsides, which is sufficient.

final whistle was fine for me. haha no one looked like they were interested in attacking. SUCK IT PHILLY. lucky to get the draw
I'm no Philly fan, but I disagree on the offside and the final whistle. I'm not too sure about the foul throw, but at the time I didn't notice anything.

The highlights don't really do the final whistle justice. If the clip had included the 15-20 seconds leading up to it, you might think differently. Philadelphia was in full-blown attack and Atlanta was retreating to the point of being routed. The Union had every right to be steamed.

As to the offside, I can see why VAR wouldn't intervene. It was close. But I thought the original call was wrong.

Anyway, it worked out great for us. Now, we have to get ourselves in gear.

1000006818.jpg

All-time great quote from Curtin.

My 80-something father loves that program and tried to get me to watch it once. I zoned out after three minutes.

I haven’t seen the “foul throw” but as long as the thrower had at least one part of one foot on the line, he’s fine. A player can step as far into the field as he wants as long as he is touching the line.