General MLS Discussion

i thought the whole RSN was done. that was the whole point of them venturing out and trying to get a "better deal" as a league. i dont know well see i guess but i dont like where this is heading.
While the RSN's may be done, as far as we know the league only asked teams not to have contracts beyond this year. It's possible that they simply wanted flexibility in the national negotiations without having some local conflicts hanging over for the next couple seasons. I'm sure they are trying to sell the whole enchilada, but I'm guessing they are leaving open a contingency to maintain local rights to some extent.

I think (without looking it up) it was the Galaxy and maybe another team or two that had hangover deals with Nike or other suppliers back when they did the league-wide Adidas deal. They were excluded until their deals expired.

Yes. They played very well last year and did not get the results they deserved. It's certainly possible the coach is to blame for that but based on one season it's more likely bad luck. Given how much rope they extended to Olsen, this move by DC United comes off as panicky and poor judgment.

Reactions: danger and moogoo
Still no official announcement or story on MLS website. But those reporters are generally reliable.

ETA - official

Last edited:
Some Twitter chatter that he wasn't getting along with the players.
Not just Twitter chatter, it was reported in the article by Maurer/Tenorio/Stejskal but they don’t really go into details:

“Sources indicated that Losada has had a tenuous relationship with some players as well as members of the club’s front office, including sporting director Dave Kasper and GM Lucy Rushton, as well as with ownership.”

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Last edited:

that is a scam deal in Miami. To really appreciate this David Sampson and Billy Corgan are strange bed fellows to get together to oppose public funded stadium. https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...termiami-stadium-deal-in-viral-video/2740949/

As a Met fan I hate listen to his podcast Nothing Personal, but he had a great explanation on public financing of stadiums. Still not a huge fan of him or public financing of stadiums.
The entire project is to be privately funded. Don't believe everything you see, hear, or read online.

that is a scam deal in Miami.
The entire project is to be privately funded. Don't believe everything you see, hear, or read online.
I haven’t followed this more than casually but I don’t think the issue—whether it’s true or false—is over financing the deal (eg with bonds like Marlins). It has to do with what terms they lease the land and whether it’s re-appraised or not. Those two guys say it won’t be and it will be leased on the cheap, mayor says their video is riddled with inaccuracies. They said he said.

What I don’t get is why NBC can’t actually report on the story with some independent analysis of the deal/terms. But I guess the only people who do that kind of thing aren’t paid journalists (we all know who our guy in NYC is)

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
The video does not impress me. It has almost no facts in it, except for the guy who's getting a job, which might be corrupt, or not, especially as don't see how that guy forces the 5-person commission to vote a certain way for his one "six-figure" job. That's the big payoff? One city manager gets a position paying $110k as assistant to the traveling manager of Inter Miami?

The other supposed scam is that they want to enforce terms negotiated in 2018. That's how deals work! You don't get to renegotiate just because the market moved a certain way. Since the video does not state that the time for the 2018 deal expired, I have to infer those terms are still enforceable. Too bad. Suck it up.

I know close to nothing about this deal and have no opinion on it. I think this video tried to make me dumber.

The video does not impress me. It has almost no facts in it, except for the guy who's getting a job, which might be corrupt, or not, especially as don't see how that guy forces the 5-person commission to vote a certain way for his one "six-figure" job. That's the big payoff? One city manager gets a position paying $110k as assistant to the traveling manager of Inter Miami?

The other supposed scam is that they want to enforce terms negotiated in 2018. That's how deals work! You don't get to renegotiate just because the market moved a certain way. Since the video does not state that the time for the 2018 deal expired, I have to infer those terms are still enforceable. Too bad. Suck it up.

I know close to nothing about this deal and have no opinion on it. I think this video tried to make me dumber.
Yeah, at first I had eyebrows raising, but the video really seems disingenuous at best. But it is a good example at the type of shit you could expect when a NYCFC stadium gets into the public stage.

A couple of things:
  • As Lion noted, they don't explicitly state it, but it seems very implied that this project is receiving a ton of taxpayer dollars to build this and that isn't true.
  • They keep calling the land as public parkland as if it's green space for people to just go hang out in "Miami's single largest piece of public property". It's a golf course. Doesn't bring up the difference in jobs that the two different properties would bring (golf course vs stadium, office park, shopping mall, etc.) (also should add I haven't read explicitly that it will bring more jobs, just seems like the development would bring a ton more jobs than the golf course).
  • The whole, "Miami is one of the poorest cities in America, we need help, instead we get..." Classic whatboutism. Apparently nothing should be developed until poverty is solved. (I will add though, one way that Inter Miami could help themselves here, is to include development of affordable housing, or other community initiatives similar to the South Bronx deal)
  • As Mark noted, the terms were established in 2018, you can't just renegotiate because the market has changed. And the way it's phrased in the video is so disingenuous "Rents have shot up 60% in the last year". Note that he didn't compare to 2018 because it would be much smaller I 'm sure. I'm sure rents have gone up that high in the last year because in most cities around the country, they dipped in 2020 due to the pandemic and now they are resetting to pre-pandemic figures plus probably typical YOY/inflation increases.
  • Finally, this dude is shitting on the Marlins park deal and he notes that he was involved in that and how shitty that was. Ok, I get that. You could have helped push that through and after the fact realized that it wasn't right, was a shitty deal, etc. But then don't wear your humongous ass Marlins World Series ring during the only 10 seconds your hands are shown on camera.
I also don't know much about this deal and whether or not it is a good project for the city of Miami and the local communities. But those items above rubbed me the wrong way.

I did however, enjoy their "Don't #BendOverforBeckham". That was pretty good.