Home - 07/19 TFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel sorry for you, that you (and others here) are so obsessed with this guy that you think he should start at 38 over any one of our starters. The only way we lose this game is by making major defensive mistakes, so Pirlo actually makes the least sense of anyone to start.

better goals against average with pirlo in than without, but thats none of my business. keep sippin that haterade.

Last edited:
If you park in YS parking use the 161st Street garage which has the best access to the Deegan northbound from the lower level exit. If you park elsewhere pick somewhere north of the stadium and you might be better of taking surface streets. While at the NYC game, start checking google maps around halftime to see how long it says it will take to get from your spot to MetLife. Keep checking every 10 minutes or so, and leave when your comfort level says so, leaving time to pick up the car, etc.

Thanks for the advice. I actually found out that I am going to have to take the train - but I'll figure it out. I've done more with less time.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I could see us playing a 4-4-2.

Midfield of Ring, Herrera, Pirlo, and Maxi. Forwards consisting of Villa and Harrison.

Whoscored.com notes that a weakness of TFC is defending the through ball, which would place Pirlo in our 11.
I just don't see us changing formations at all, especially to a 4-4-2. Perhaps to a 3-3-4, but that doesn't seem necessary except for an in-game adjustment where we need a goal. I hope we stick to our normal 4-4-3 with TMac or JLew on the wing. I don't see any reason to sit Maxi/Ring/Herrera at all, unless there is some concern for fitness on Maxi or Herrera (I don't think there should be).

I definitely don't want to see Pirlo and TMac out there together. A starting XI with both of them would really give TFC's limited lineup a chance against us.

Reactions: mgarbowski
better goals against average with pirlo in than without, but thats none of my business. keep sippin that haterade.
Where did you get this stat?

By my quick, rough math:

Goals allowed average in games started by Pirlo: 1.3333 (12 goals in 9 matches)
Goals allowed average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 1.2 (12 goals in 10 matches)
*Did not include the US Open Cup match in this one, which would decrease the average in games not started by Pirlo

Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.015625 (11 goals in 704 minutes or 1.41 per 90')
Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.012922 (13 goals in 1,006 minutes or 1.16 per 90') - difference from 12 to 13 goals from previous stat is last goal against Vancouver

OMG..... just stop now. Since you didn't bother to present ANY backup to your statement, I took the time to do so because you're argument is transparently baseless.

With Pirlo starting, our Record is 3W 5L 1T with a Goal Differential of *ONLY* +2

With Pirlo not starting, our Record is 7W 1L 2T with a Goal Differential of +10

Even if we throw in the Open Cup loss, that only one less more goal allowed, but that lineup is a BS metric with the roster rules in place, so I left it out completely.

There is no logical way anybody can make the claim that the team is better off with Pirlo in the lineup. None. Zilch. Our record speaks volumes and we don't score anywhere enough to consistently win.

Last edited:
The info below has to do with the Barca/Juve game at MetLife on 7/22.

Thanks for the advice. I actually found out that I am going to have to take the train - but I'll figure it out. I've done more with less time.
The train will be fine. I had an easier time getting there on Mother's Day to see Metallica than I did on a weeknight during rush hour (with more trains) to see Ireland/Mexico. I barely made it in time for kickoff. I'm planning on leaving our game at the half. You can also take a bus down and back from Port Authority. My experience has been quick down but long, long wait afterwards to get back on. Also - open practice is this Friday in Harrison at 5pm.

By my quick, rough math:

Goals allowed average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 1.2 (12 goals in 10 matches)
*Did not include the US Open Cup match in this one, which would decrease the average in games not started by Pirlo

Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.015625 (11 goals in 704 minutes or 1.41 per 90')
Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.012922 (13 goals in 1,006 minutes or 1.16 per 90') - difference from 12 to 13 goals from previous stat is last goal against Vancouver
For shits and giggles, I decided to do this for goals scored as well:

Goals scored average in games started by Pirlo: 1.5556 (14 goals in 9 matches)
Goals scored average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 2.2 (22 goals in 10 matches)

Goals scored per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.014205 (10 goals in 704 minutes or 1.28 per 90')
Goals scored per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.025845 (26 goals in 1,006 minutes or 2.33 per 90')

Ulrich Ulrich already gave the goal differential in games started, but in minutes played, the Goal Differential is -1 with Pirlo on the field and +13 with Pirlo off the field.

The question we have is how to cover for the one guy that is missing - Wallace. Do we move Maxi there and have a Pirlo-Ring-Herrera mid? Do we leave Pirlo on the bench and use TMac or Lewis at LW?
I personally don't think there are many lineup questions for tomorrow. T-Mac will start at LW and the only real question mark is who starts out of Allen vs White. I do think it is an interesting question whether we are better with maxi at LW and T-Mac in the midfield or vice versa.

By my quick, rough math:

so using your own math.... im wrong

but to be fair the last time i checked it was before we had the 4 game win streak

including 2 of the first 4 of our win streak we had played 16 games of which pirlo started in 8

we had given up 9 goals with Pirlo and 11 without.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
so using your own math.... im wrong

but to be fair the last time i checked it was before we had the 4 game win streak
So in that regard, you are correct that in games started, if we go back to the New England game as the last one, our average per game, regardless of subs, that we allowed less goals. However, per minute, we were still better without Pirlo.

Goals allowed average in games started by Pirlo: 1.125 (9 goals in 8 matches)
Goals allowed average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 1.5 (9 goals in 6 matches)

Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.014587 (9 goals in 617 minutes or 1.31 per 90')
Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.013997 (9 goals in 643 minutes or 1.26 per 90')

Additionally, goals scored stats below:

Goals scored average in games started by Pirlo: 1.5 (12 goals in 8 matches)
Goals scored average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 2.2 (13 goals in 6 matches)

Goals scored per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.012966 (8 goals in 617 minutes or 1.31 per 90')
Goals scored per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.026439 (17 goals in 643 minutes or 1.26 per 90')

Goal Differential of -1 with Pirlo on field and +8 with Pirlo off field

So in that regard, you are correct that in games started, if we go back to the New England game as the last one, our average per game, regardless of subs, that we allowed less goals. However, per minute, we were still better without Pirlo.

Goals allowed average in games started by Pirlo: 1.125 (9 goals in 8 matches)
Goals allowed average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 1.5 (9 goals in 6 matches)

Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.014587 (9 goals in 617 minutes or 1.31 per 90')
Goals allowed per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.013997 (9 goals in 643 minutes or 1.26 per 90')

Additionally, goals scored stats below:

Goals scored average in games started by Pirlo: 1.5 (12 goals in 8 matches)
Goals scored average in games Pirlo doesn't start: 2.2 (13 goals in 6 matches)

Goals scored per minute with Pirlo on field: 0.012966 (8 goals in 617 minutes or 1.31 per 90')
Goals scored per minute with Pirlo off field: 0.026439 (17 goals in 643 minutes or 1.26 per 90')

Goal Differential of -1 with Pirlo on field and +8 with Pirlo off field

all this fine... but my point simply is that Pirlo is not as much of a defensive liability that everyone makes him out to be. weve given up the same amount of goals without him in 1 more game. its not that dramatic.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Pirlo makes a ton of sense for this game but the hate is gonna flow regardless.
Who do you sit for Pirlo? I mean, the midfield 3 should all be back, with Maxi, Herrera and Ring and there is no way you sit one of them for Pirlo. And you could probably make an argument for Pirlo over TMac, but not when TMac is going to play on the wing.

Reactions: The Toe
Who do you sit for Pirlo? I mean, the midfield 3 should all be back, with Maxi, Herrera and Ring and there is no way you sit one of them for Pirlo. And you could probably make an argument for Pirlo over TMac, but not when TMac is going to play on the wing.

wouldn't sit any of them... id play them all.

all this fine... but my point simply is that Pirlo is not as much of a defensive liability that everyone makes him out to be. weve given up the same amount of goals without him in 1 more game. its not that dramatic.
I'd argue that a difference of 0.25 of goals allowed per 90' is a pretty big difference.

But maybe you're right. Maybe we shouldn't be talking about the defensive liability he is, when in all actuality we should probably be talking about how big of an offensive liability he is. We score 1.05 more goals per 90' when he is off the field.

I'd argue that a difference of 0.25 of goals allowed per 90' is a pretty big difference.

But maybe you're right. Maybe we shouldn't be talking about the defensive liability he is, when in all actuality we should probably be talking about how big of an offensive liability he is. We score 1.05 more goals per 90' when he is off the field.

.25 over the course of a season equates to 8.5 goals (were he to play 34 games)... Agreed entirely it's a big difference. For us, it could be the difference between Supporter's Shield and finishing 4th in our own division

wouldn't sit any of them... id play them all.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in this system Pirlo it not effective. If we ran a 4 man midfield, I absolutely think he could be a player for us, being flanked by Herrera and Ring with Maxi as the CAM. In fact, one of the few times we ran a 4 man midfield was against Toronto last season I believe the first match, and it was his highest rated game by a large margin.

But Vieira has displayed we will never see a 4 man midfield again, and I don't necessarily fault him for sticking with his system.

Reactions: snugglefarts

which again includes a 4 game win streak against not so great teams, and im not trying to take anything away from those wins.

You guys are gonna call me crazy but id be playing a 3-4-3. We have dead weight in the LB position, right now and i think Ring is more than capable of playing back enough for us. Brillant hurts us way more than Pirlo, i want our best players on the field.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in this system Pirlo it not effective. If we ran a 4 man midfield, I absolutely think he could be a player for us, being flanked by Herrera and Ring with Maxi as the CAM. In fact, one of the few times we ran a 4 man midfield was against Toronto last season I believe the first match, and it was his highest rated game by a large margin.

But Vieira has displayed we will never see a 4 man midfield again, and I don't necessarily fault him for sticking with his system.
And to be honest, I have thrown a bunch of stats out that do not show well for Pirlo, but I'm definitely not a hater of his. I definitely don't think he deserves to be in our starting XI, but think he's more than a serviceable sub.

When that claim was thrown out and I decided to look into it, I've come out of this blown away with what the numbers say, especially from a goals scored standpoint. I definitely did not think it would be this drastic.

My last point on this to be completely frank. I'm not of the opinion that Pirlo is the black hole that several people make him out to be (though the stats I show above do kind of say that). I'm of the opinion that the other options are just that much better. When we have a healthy Maxi/Ring/Herrera, he should not see the field. I'm surprised that that is even a question at this point.

You guys are gonna call me crazy but id be playing a 3-4-3. We have dead weight in the LB position, right now and i think Ring is more than capable of playing back enough for us. Brillant hurts us way more than Pirlo, i want our best players on the field.

Ugh... Please don't make me defend Ben Sweat's great June in this thread too. RB is far more of a dead weight than LB

Reactions: Ulrich
Status
Not open for further replies.