Home - 11/5 Columbus - 2nd Leg ECS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what it's going to take to win this match 3-0 or by +4 and advance in the series...

- David Villa needs to have the game of his NYCFC career. Better than the 3-2 RB win.
- Sean Johnson and the defense need to keep a clean sheet. No mistakes. Anywhere.
- I think Ben Sweat starts at CB alongside Brillant. He needs to have the game of his life at this position.
- Maxi Moralez needs to be selfish and shoot the ball when he has an opportunity. Not everything needs to be scored by Villa.
- Jack Harrison needs to get his touches right.
- Struna needs to start and make good crosses into the box.
- Herrera and Ring need to be smart defensively but know when to push forward.
- Vieira needs to the lineup right and more importantly put on guys earlier. If Lewis isn't starting for whatever reason, get him on at halftime, or the latest the 55'.
- Take our chances. Convert our chances.
- We have to quick, sharp, and assertive.

- Columbus will probably need to pickup a red card too before the 70' for us to get three goals or +4 advantage in this leg.

Here's what it's going to take to win this match and advance in the series...

- David Villa needs to have the game of his NYCFC career. Better than the 3-2 RB win.
- Sean Johnson and the defense need to keep a clean sheet. No mistakes. Anywhere.
- I think Ben Sweat starts at CB alongside Brillant. He needs to have the game of his life at this position.
- Maxi Moralez needs to be selfish and shoot the ball when he has an opportunity. Not everything needs to be scored by Villa.
- Jack Harrison needs to get his touches right.
- Struna needs to start and make good crosses into the box.
- Herrera and Ring need to be smart defensively but know when to push forward.
- Vieira needs to the lineup right and more importantly put on guys earlier. If Lewis isn't starting for whatever reason, get him on at halftime, or the latest the 55'.
- Take our chances. Convert our chances.
- We have to quick, sharp, and assertive.

- Columbus will probably need to pickup a red card too before the 70' for us to get three goals or +4 advantage in this leg.
I could see Chanot making a comeback for this. If he’s in the lineup, Ring doesn’t have to drop as deeply to pick up the ball.

I could see Chanot making a comeback for this. If he’s in the lineup, Ring doesn’t have to drop as deeply to pick up the ball.
Was just making the same point about to Chanot to a buddy at work. We don't know if they kept him back because he's not recovered, or if he could have played, but they knew they would go with the guys who have been playing and also that they would rather have a more offense-minded bench anyway.

Thankfully, Chanot and Callens were two of the guys that were cemented into the double game weeks earlier this year. I don't think he should have too much of a fitness issue, assuming he's been able to do a decent amount of full training over the last 2-3 weeks.

I see a Villa hat trick...but I also see us fucking up somehow and giving up cheap goal to end it.

I posted this same GIF after the 1st leg in 2016...
giphy.gif

Confed Cup 2009: US needed to win their final group game against Egypt by 3 goals AND Brazil had to wax Italy by 3 goals. It happened.

So there is s chance!!!!

I’m sorry, need to keep doing this to avoid reality. NYCFC is done folks, done done done.

This. 100%. My money is on Ben Sweat and/or Brilliant with the screwup.
Nah, if we claw back enough goals to advance, only to lose it in the waning moments, it’ll be of the Greek tragedy variety where Villa scores a hat trick (or more) to put us ahead, but he coughs up the ball for the losing goal. Or, it’ll be a replay of the missed PK and going from sure win to pure dismay. It’ll be something that utterly crazy that we’re all left shell shocked.

Reactions: JayH
Nah, if we claw back enough goals to advance, only to lose it in the waning moments, it’ll be of the Greek tragedy variety where Villa scores a hat trick (or more) to put us ahead, but he coughs up the ball for the losing goal. Or, it’ll be a replay of the missed PK and going from sure win to pure dismay. It’ll be something that utterly crazy that we’re all left shell shocked.
It would have to involve the use of VAR in the last minute to award Columbus a penalty on a foul that was to be missed by the naked eye. After Columbus buries it to advance on away goals, the ref walks over to PV with a smile and asks "So, how do you like VAR now?"

So why do it again?

Because we're in the exact same place, needing to win 3-0 to advance. But don't worry, I have some more believe gifs in store the rest of the week. If the Soccer Gods won't help us maybe the GIF Gods will.

Status
Not open for further replies.