Home - 8/22 New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense is the real issue with that player availability. We have a decent starting 4, but the only reserve is a 15-YO right back with no MLS appearances. There is no natural CB on the bench.

I think Wallace needs to train at FB so that we at least have the option to move Sweat into the middle if one of our starting CBs gets hurt.

Hountondji plays 1 minute in San Jose. Starts in the US Open Cup and plays 5 minutes before being injured for the rest of the season.

He was a free signing so we have him under contract next year I believe. The team is just not healthy.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Referee: Ted Unkel
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski, Brian Dunn
4th Official: Christopher Penso
VAR: Mark Geiger

Ted Unkel refereed 1 NYCFC in 2018, a 3-0 loss in Portland where 2 yellow cards were issued, both to NYCFC. 0 red cards. 0 penalties.

Ted Unkel refereed 0 NYCFC matches in 2017. In 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at home to RSL where 1 penalty was issued for NYCFC and four yellow cards (1 NYC, 3 RSL). Also in 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at Columbus where 1 penalty was issued to NYCFC four yellow cards (3 NYC, 1 CLB) and 1 DOGSO red card that resulted in to the penalty to Columbus (which would not be a red card in 2018).

Having Unkel, Penso, and Geiger at this match means a lot of big officials with eyes on this match. Also, they fucking suck.

Referee: Ted Unkel
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski, Brian Dunn
4th Official: Christopher Penso
VAR: Mark Geiger

Ted Unkel refereed 1 NYCFC in 2018, a 3-0 loss in Portland where 2 yellow cards were issued, both to NYCFC. 0 red cards. 0 penalties.

Ted Unkel refereed 0 NYCFC matches in 2017. In 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at home to RSL where 1 penalty was issued for NYCFC and four yellow cards (1 NYC, 3 RSL). Also in 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at Columbus where 1 penalty was issued to NYCFC four yellow cards (3 NYC, 1 CLB) and 1 DOGSO red card that resulted in to the penalty to Columbus (which would not be a red card in 2018).

Having Unkel, Penso, and Geiger at this match means a lot of big officials with eyes on this match. Also, they fucking suck.

So basically...
Unkel the head ref isn’t ready for a match of this physicality
Penso also has a crap sheet a mile long
And when all else fails who’s on the VAR??
Fucking Geiger.

Gonna be a long long night on Wednesday.

Reactions: adam
What are the chances we see a 3-5-2? 0%, I assume? Because I wonder if that wouldn't be worse against a team like RB if we overload the midfield and front. Leaving lots of gaps in our defense yes, but we already do that with a 4-4-2 anyway.

Reactions: gbservis

I don't much care for either one. But I'm old. Do you guys like this?

Rivalry and loyalties aside, is either one of these interesting or appealing? The NYCFC one has King Kong apparently knocking over the Empire State building, which, why?, and a demon soccer ball pumpkin-head thing. The Kong is well done, fwiw. The Red Bull side features an aggressive looking bull surrounded by odd stylized faces with triple-bangs, except one has the bangs for a nose, and disturbing lips that neither smile nor open.

Last edited:

Rivalry and loyalties aside, is either one of these interesting or appealing? The NYCFC one has King Kong apparently knocking over the Empire State building, which, why?, and a demon soccer ball pumpkin-head thing. The Kong is well done, fwiw. The Red Bulls features an aggressive looking bull surrounded by odd stylized faces with triple-bangs, except one has the bangs for a nose, and disturbing lips that neither smile nor open.

Honestly, I think they're both crap. Don't understand the use of only black sharpies to make either. It's blue vs. red. That's a sticking part of the derby. The only highlight is the pigeons on our side near the Empire State Building. I have no idea how King Kong became the theme for our banner. When has King Kong or monkeys ever been associated with this team? Pigeons, pineapples, chicken buckets, the NYC monogram. Come on.

At the very least, ours has NYCFC somewhere on it. And one of the fans on the Red Bulls side is wearing a Villa 7 jersey.

I think this is a great example of design by committee. It never turns out well.

Last edited:
Reactions: mgarbowski
Don't understand the use of only black sharpies to make either. It's blue vs. red.
I think this is a great example of design by committee. It never turns out well.
I think these are related. Creating an image using 3 artists simultaneously makes color matching and contrast absurdly complicated. I don't love the B&W either but it makes sense given the setup.
Plus this did us a favor. Put red and black against baby blue and white on some pseudo-graffiti street art murals, and the latter comes off as weak ass indeterminate shit. God I hate our colors. That shirt they gave away recently with the white lettering on super pale blue? Instant rag.

Reactions: Regulator
I think these are related. Creating an image using 3 artists simultaneously makes color matching and contrast absurdly complicated. I don't love the B&W either but it makes sense given the setup.
Plus this did us a favor. Put red and black against baby blue and white on some pseudo-graffiti street art murals, and the latter comes off as weak ass indeterminate shit. God I hate our colors. That shirt they gave away recently with the white lettering on super pale blue? Instant rag.
It's just inauthentic. The artists might be fine doing their own stuff. I wasn't there or haven't read much about it, but I doubt that either of them would have done it for free.

I think this game comes down to finishing one of our chances inside of 30'. We have this recent dreadful tendency to miss 2-3 good chances before teams figure us out and wear us down, and then sit back their back 7 and press the other 3 while our midfield gets stuck too high trying to find a goal. Tell me if you've heard this before, but I really think getting the infield side going and getting a slip as Isi cuts inside -- or whoever it is -- could set up an early goal, especially if it's supposed to rain for parts of the day before the game. No Murillo is big for them, and they should be a little bit gassed from the cross-continental flight.

Big questions for us are:

Are we going to hoof it to Berget? If only there were a way to play Villa and Maxi behind Berget to distribute to Isi and Lewis on the wings after getting possession upfield. You get the sense that Dome will use what worked last time, though, but lets hope that doesn't mean Wallace starts (can you believe he started the last game vs. NJ???)

How will Ibeagha and Chanot mesh? I think this is actually a great pairing for this game, since NJ likes to cross a lot to BWP. Their physicality and height will hopefully take away that aspect of their offense, including on set pieces, which we seem to have been much better at defending this year.

Rivalry and loyalties aside, is either one of these interesting or appealing? The NYCFC one has King Kong apparently knocking over the Empire State building, which, why?, and a demon soccer ball pumpkin-head thing. The Kong is well done, fwiw. The Red Bull side features an aggressive looking bull surrounded by odd stylized faces with triple-bangs, except one has the bangs for a nose, and disturbing lips that neither smile nor open.
Yeah, I don't really care much for either. This is just one of those silly, league-driven things that really has nothing to do with either fanbase at the end of the day.

Also, interestingly, in reading the thread on the tweet you linked, it appears as though there were rules put in place for this "competition" that included not using images and no sketching. And then there is a photo of one of the NJ artists drawing while having the image of the bull up on his phone.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I mean don't like 95% of people wear blue anyway? Sure some people wear other jerseys, but the vast majority are wearing blue.
I would actually say it’s closer to 25% or less. Not even close to a cohesive unit of blue.

I wonder if we will have coherent tactics in this game - by that meaning doing something more than clearing the ball upfield at every opportunity. Last time, that approach at least got us a coin toss that we won, but I would hope that Domé is ready for more in this match.
There were coherent tactics last time. Sure they hoofed it when in danger, but they specifically did full-field crosses to an open wing that changed the point of attack. RB was collapsing space with their press, really over-committing bodies to small areas, and the cross field switches turned them inside out.

I think this game comes down to finishing one of our chances inside of 30'. We have this recent dreadful tendency to miss 2-3 good chances before teams figure us out and wear us down, and then sit back their back 7 and press the other 3 while our midfield gets stuck too high trying to find a goal.

Usually it's Maxi who gets into great goal scoring positions early on, and then blasts a five ft high shot at keeper's hands. I wonder if anyone's told him the goal is not disallowed even if the ball is put into a bottom corner...

Do you guys like this?

Yes.

Crash is a Bronx writer that came up in the era of whole car pieces. He's a REAL street/graffiti artist. He worked with Stickymonger and Dragon 76 who are Japanese street artists. Crash was quite possibly the perfect pick for our wall. The only other person I could possibly see for us would be Cope2, but that's beside the point.

Bliss is a commercial and fine artist. He did the GTA covers for Rockstar Games. He is a very good artist but he is not a street artist and he was quite upset that I know the difference.

Our wall kicks the shit out of that paint by numbers shit on their side. The goofies can't even draw a proper Telstar and their lead artist had to draw from his phone.

There were coherent tactics last time. Sure they hoofed it when in danger, but they specifically did full-field crosses to an open wing that changed the point of attack. RB was collapsing space with their press, really over-committing bodies to small areas, and the cross field switches turned them inside out.
While using the touchlines to the inch, and also strategically exploiting height differences. I thought that these were clever on short lead time.

Status
Not open for further replies.