Kreis Out

There are few people in MLS that know more about the intricacies of the league than Kreis. From league structure to the financial restraints the league operates under. This is not to mention his success as both player and MLS cup winning manager. You want to argue his tactics, team selection and what seems to be loyalties to his former RSL players? Fine there are points to be made there but let's not run him out of town after a season that had so many moving parts least of all a roster of cast offs and I would say 2 DP'S that were forced on the team.]

In spite of all his knowledge, he can't muster a good win. So let's stop talking of his inside knowledge of MLS. what value does it bring really? It's like arguing a career long politician should be voted in because he knows the DC politics inside out. Maybe exactly because of that we should vote him out? Maybe Kries knowledge of MLS is limiting his coaching and team potential? There are universal caching capabilities/competency that transcends beyond league intricacies. If a league is so unique that only the coaches who knows the league well but who can't otherwise do well in any other leagues in the world can do well, then maybe it's the leagues that needs to upgrade and change. You may be pointing out an issue beyond NYCFC. But I don't think it's the case. Kries' throwing the entire team under the bus while making himself sound like the only good guy out there is inexcusable. Kris is failing his duty of building a team ( and at this point, we are not even asking for a winning team). He is acting like a politician blaming others and starting class warfare in sole attempt to paint himself in good color in order to survive. Right there, lack of confidence and team dividing. If he thinks his strategy and tactics should build the team well for the next season, he should come out declare that, saying things are not what it seems and and he believes in a winning season next year blah blah blah, which is what world class and headstrong coach would do.

Last post my comment got bundled in the quote section:

In spite of all his knowledge, he can't muster a good win. So let's stop talking of his inside knowledge of MLS. what value does it bring really? It's like arguing a career long politician should be voted in because he knows the DC politics inside out. Maybe exactly because of that we should vote him out? Maybe Kries knowledge of MLS is limiting his coaching and team potential? There are universal caching capabilities/competency that transcends beyond league intricacies. If a league is so unique that only the coaches who knows the league well but who can't otherwise do well in any other leagues in the world can do well, then maybe it's the leagues that needs to upgrade and change. You may be pointing out an issue beyond NYCFC. But I don't think it's the case. Kries' throwing the entire team under the bus while making himself sound like the only good guy out there is inexcusable. Kris is failing his duty of building a team ( and at this point, we are not even asking for a winning team). He is acting like a politician blaming others and starting class warfare in sole attempt to paint himself in good color in order to survive. Right there, lack of confidence and team dividing. If he thinks his strategy and tactics should build the team well for the next season, he should come out declare that, saying things are not what it seems and and he believes in a winning season next year blah blah blah, which is what world class and headstrong coach would do.

I am frustrated beyond belief with Kreis and the way the team has performed this year...but I think that showing him the boot after this year is short-sighted, given everything that has gone on this season. The only reason I could see his firing justified is if there is a full-scale mutiny from the players (i.e. they stop showing up to practice) or there is a major blow-up with CFG. The Kreis "mic-drop" on the last press conference was probably more frustration than anything else.

I have the funny feeling that if Kreis gets the boot, he goes to Seattle (who boots Sigi after they lose again in the playoffs this year), reunites with Lagerwey, and wins a Cup there.
If there is a mutiny among a bunch of send offs and DP,s with one year left on their contracts then they can all walk. Leadership is not only with the manager but in the locker room as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
Last post my comment got bundled in the quote section:

He can't muster one good win? When did he take the pitch and play? This roster is not as good as the sum of its parts and many of its parts stink to begin with.
Name me a situation in any sport where someone as respected and accomplished as Kreis is in MLS, walked into a similar situation with an expansion team, no players, poor field conditions, a front office bent on marketing rather than player chemistry and quality, and is given the ax before even getting a proper time to imprint his philosophy. Come off it man.

I don't think he will be let go. I don't think he should be let go based solely on us missing the playoffs.

However, if he has lost the confidence of the locker room and influential players (Mix, Villa), then he has to be let go. You don't come back from that. Mix I have a feeling is gone this winter. Villa has nowhere to go.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Mourinho has had a bad start. Hopefully he leaves in December and signs with us.

Wow, some people really need to get a grip. Mourinho, Pelligrini, any top tier European coach is not coming to "the" MLS. To be fair, you don't want them here, anyway. You need a coach who understands the ins and outs of the byzantine MLS rules and regulations and can work with a limited budget.

Mourinho/Pelligrini goes to the owner and says: "I need a left back!" The owner says: here's XX million, go find one. In MLS, they say "I need a left back!" and the FO says: ok, but you only have $200k because that's the room we have in our cap, and it has to be a US player since we don't have any international roster spots left (or we need to trade either money/player for one), and by the way if the player you want is on any of these lists, we either need to move up the allocation order, file a discovery claim/pay off the team who has a discovery claim, etc..."

There is a reason why international coaches consistently flop in MLS. It's built unlike any other league worldwide.

Wow, some people really need to get a grip. Mourinho, Pelligrini, any top tier European coach is not coming to "the" MLS. To be fair, you don't want them here, anyway. You need a coach who understands the ins and outs of the byzantine MLS rules and regulations and can work with a limited budget.

Mourinho/Pelligrini goes to the owner and says: "I need a left back!" The owner says: here's XX million, go find one. In MLS, they say "I need a left back!" and the FO says: ok, but you only have $200k because that's the room we have in our cap, and it has to be a US player since we don't have any international roster spots left (or we need to trade either money/player for one), and by the way if the player you want is on any of these lists, we either need to move up the allocation order, file a discovery claim/pay off the team who has a discovery claim, etc..."

There is a reason why international coaches consistently flop in MLS. It's built unlike any other league worldwide.
I thought the sarcasm was evident in my statement.

Kreis has had some issues, but most of the team's issues stem from expensive players who have contributed nothing. Nemec, Calle, Iralo, Pirlo, Lampard, Mena, etc. I'll blame Kreis for the RSL rejects and his reluctance to drop them from the lineup, but when we went on that winning streak, he did that. Then the team got blown up with a bunch of new players that haven't been successful. There's no chemistry which is not surprising considering you got a brand new team in late July.

Look I know CFG is patient buts that's because man city finished 2nd in the PL not at the bottom of the table! I think kreis isn't the right man for the job and will be in Seattle next season when sigi gets sacked

Actually, I was thinking more of the way that Melbourne City finished rock bottom of the table in the A-League in 2013-14, but because they decided the manager (John van't Schip) hadn't had long enough to shape his team, so they gave him a new 3-year contract when many Melburnians were predicting him to be sacked. They also didn't sack him a year later, when after some very uninspiring football and a lot of recruiting, he only managed to finish 6th (of 10) despite the club being tipped to win the league. Melbourne City's third season under CFG has not yet properly started, but they're finally looking like they could be turning into a very handy side, despite the fans having exactly the same attitude towards JVS that we all have to Kreis.

It's worth pointing out that in the 11 seasons of football around the world that CFG have overseen - 7 in Manchester, 2 (well, 1.5) in Melbourne, 1 in NYC and 1 in Japan - they have only got rid of a manager on three occasions so far - and the sacking in Japan was probably not their decision. CFG seem to actively be trying to prove a point that they are not the revolving door type of owners that they were portrayed to be with the dismissal of Hughes and Mancini in Manchester. In fact, I have a suspicion that those two sackings actually made them reconsider their attitudes and become a lot more willing to give managers time. That was my point.

Actually, I was thinking more of the way that Melbourne City finished rock bottom of the table in the A-League in 2013-14, but because they decided the manager (John van't Schip) hadn't had long enough to shape his team, so they gave him a new 3-year contract when many Melburnians were predicting him to be sacked. They also didn't sack him a year later, when after some very uninspiring football and a lot of recruiting, he only managed to finish 6th (of 10) despite the club being tipped to win the league. Melbourne City's third season under CFG has not yet properly started, but they're finally looking like they could be turning into a very handy side, despite the fans having exactly the same attitude towards JVS that we all have to Kreis.

It's worth pointing out that in the 11 seasons of football around the world that CFG have overseen - 7 in Manchester, 2 (well, 1.5) in Melbourne, 1 in NYC and 1 in Japan - they have only got rid of a manager on three occasions so far - and the sacking in Japan was probably not their decision. CFG seem to actively be trying to prove a point that they are not the revolving door type of owners that they were portrayed to be with the dismissal of Hughes and Mancini in Manchester. In fact, I have a suspicion that those two sackings actually made them reconsider their attitudes and become a lot more willing to give managers time. That was my point.

I'm not sure why firing managers has to be a philosophy thing. We should use all the information we have at hand to constantly evaluate whether our manager has the potential to lead us to an MLS Cup. I don't care if that evaluation says "fire him" after 6 months, 2 years, or a decade, you pull the trigger at that point.

When we hired Kreis, we based our faith in his past success in the league, likely among other personality factors. How much do those things matter anymore? Success is contextual more than just "it was in the MLS." NYCFC are in a different city, different org structure, different roster maturity, different GM, different team ambitions, etc. Kreis seems to be failing quite spectacularly in many of these new contexts.

Reactions: jaycrewz
I'm not sure why firing managers has to be a philosophy thing. We should use all the information we have at hand to constantly evaluate whether our manager has the potential to lead us to an MLS Cup. I don't care if that evaluation says "fire him" after 6 months, 2 years, or a decade, you pull the trigger at that point.

When we hired Kreis, we based our faith in his past success in the league, likely among other personality factors. How much do those things matter anymore? Success is contextual more than just "it was in the MLS." NYCFC are in a different city, different org structure, different roster maturity, different GM, different team ambitions, etc. Kreis seems to be failing quite spectacularly in many of these new contexts.

The thing is, managers often take time to bed, just like players. A manager who is doing badly one season can turn it around the next, just because they've had time to get used to their surroundings, get a few more players who suit their system in, re-evaluated their tactics and tried something new, maybe even just got a bit lucky. I agree that some of Kreis' selections have been baffling, but as they say, "you don't become a bad manager overnight". He proved he had something in Salt Lake, and even if that will always go down as the pinnacle of his career, he must still buried somewhere have the kind of nous which can get a team moving. Let's not forget that this team is an expansion team, and every expansion team always does badly in its first season. You can't throw 30 players into a squad an expect squad harmony after even a full season. The more players who come together at once, the longer they take to gel. The effect is compounded by the fact that the Americanisms of the system (drafts, central contracts etc) mean that expansion teams are by very nature the unwanted dregs of the rest of the league.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and say "I'm not going to make a decision this year. Let him prove himself in the second season".

The thing is, managers often take time to bed, just like players. A manager who is doing badly one season can turn it around the next, just because they've had time to get used to their surroundings, get a few more players who suit their system in, re-evaluated their tactics and tried something new, maybe even just got a bit lucky. I agree that some of Kreis' selections have been baffling, but as they say, "you don't become a bad manager overnight". He proved he had something in Salt Lake, and even if that will always go down as the pinnacle of his career, he must still buried somewhere have the kind of nous which can get a team moving. Let's not forget that this team is an expansion team, and every expansion team always does badly in its first season. You can't throw 30 players into a squad an expect squad harmony after even a full season. The more players who come together at once, the longer they take to gel. The effect is compounded by the fact that the Americanisms of the system (drafts, central contracts etc) mean that expansion teams are by very nature the unwanted dregs of the rest of the league.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and say "I'm not going to make a decision this year. Let him prove himself in the second season".
Did any of those managers routinely disparage their players?

The thing is, managers often take time to bed, just like players. A manager who is doing badly one season can turn it around the next, just because they've had time to get used to their surroundings, get a few more players who suit their system in, re-evaluated their tactics and tried something new, maybe even just got a bit lucky. I agree that some of Kreis' selections have been baffling, but as they say, "you don't become a bad manager overnight". He proved he had something in Salt Lake, and even if that will always go down as the pinnacle of his career, he must still buried somewhere have the kind of nous which can get a team moving.

Perhaps Lagerway played a much bigger role in putting that RSL team together and Kreis was never really that great / rode his coattails to success.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
What's all this about "Kreis calls out the players" ???. This isn't little league, they're grown men. They can handle hard criticism from their coach

Problem is did they deserve it? Far more a lack of leaderships, tactics, and meritocracy then the players performances.