LAFC - Postmatch

LAFC scouted and went down Berget and Sweat’s side the whole night. They know what we all know.
Bradley also played Garber and blessing on the right side and played Beitashour on his non-dominant foot. Very telling.

Berget’s shot was saved and still nearly went in. And that was after taking a tough pass in stride from Villa. Don’t think he can be blamed.
Berget's first touch does let him down a lot, but in that instance, his first touch was amazing. I think he should have shot it one touch before he did, but what a run by him.

Yeah, he's a bit clumsy, but I don't get the massive hate for him.

Villa is becoming a liability, which is tragic but must be recognized. He didn't play badly, in fact he played well, but we line up better without him. We need to start deploying Berget properly at CF and flanking him with Medina and Isi.

PV is giving Maxi far too much freedom to roam, which is not a new problem. If he's our #10, keep him available in the middle to be that. I don't want to see him trying to press the oppo keeper or back by our 18 to pick up the ball.

We were lucky to get out of there with a point, and we really needed three to help pad our table position through the World Cup.

Berget's first touch does let him down a lot, but in that instance, his first touch was amazing. I think he should have shot it one touch before he did, but what a run by him.

Yeah, he's a bit clumsy, but I don't get the massive hate for him.

I agree. He has good movement, thinks fast and makes very good decisions but he sometimes fails to execute because of his poor first touch. But he's a great improvement compared to Okoli or Shelton. He's not worth 800K but he doesn't make us bad.

Man we really going to turn on Medina the second he hits bad form?
I thought he was pretty poor tonight, and I'll call that out when I see it. But I'm not ready to close the door on him.

I thought his chance that was saved was actually well taken, but just a great save by Miller in timing coming off his line.

I thought he was pretty poor tonight, and I'll call that out when I see it. But I'm not ready to close the door on him.

I thought his chance that was saved was actually well taken, but just a great save by Miller in timing coming off his line.
Other than that one chance, he was invisible tonight. And he’s kinda been invisible for a few games now.

Other than that one chance, he was invisible tonight. And he’s kinda been invisible for a few games now.
True for the most part, he had a few other nice attacking plays in the second half. But overall, I agree that he was pretty much missing tonight.

Villa is becoming a liability, which is tragic but must be recognized. He didn't play badly, in fact he played well, but we line up better without him. We need to start deploying Berget properly at CF and flanking him with Medina and Isi.

PV is giving Maxi far too much freedom to roam, which is not a new problem. If he's our #10, keep him available in the middle to be that. I don't want to see him trying to press the oppo keeper or back by our 18 to pick up the ball.

We were lucky to get out of there with a point, and we really needed three to help pad our table position through the World Cup.
Yeah...it’s true. I was banging that drum in shout box.

I don’t know it’s true. But if the same team performances came with a guy who wasn’t rocking #7 at CF, it would be a lock that Medina came central at will and Isi played every minute he could. #7 would be competing with Berget.

Now, we can’t really do that. Because we probably need to figure out how to play all of them together to win MLS cup. And mostly, because we can’t rely on our manager to not be out coached in clutch matches.

ETA: yeah, that isn’t an entirely logical rationale on the last point. I just wanted to get that jibe in there.

Anyone else see LionNYC quickly get the ball back for a throw in on the attack? Fun game to watch. Now let’s get 3 points next week at home.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Villa and Medina seemed to play really well together in the first two games of the season, so it’s not like they can’t play together.

I would still like to see a front three of Shradi, Villa and Medina before we decide to kick Villa to the curb.

I don't know if this will make sense, but tonight Villa looked like a star who was part of a good team instead of a star on a good team. I was happy with how he was playing within the context of our style and he seemed to make us noticeably better overall going forward.

I absolutely loved seeing ITS come off the bench and not miss a beat after injury tonight. Let's face it, Villa is getting old. The season is long, and even longer if we can make a USOC run. He's gonna need to sit. With ITS being a goal scoring machine, we'll have a much better chance to be productive while giving our captain some much needed rest.

No major complaints from me. Own goals happen and tonight it was us who were unlucky with one. We looked dangerous, Ring seemed surprisingly quiet (though my wife and I celebrated Mother's day with a bit too much wine, so I wasn't exactly focused), and we put a few good chances off target (Maxi and Villa off the top of my head) that go in on other days.

We now get 7 of 9 at home. If we play like we know we can over that stretch we may be coasting to a playoff spot before our World Cup hangovers wear off.