LAFC - Postmatch

Overall i didnt think we looked good and were lucky to get away with a point. It took practically a PK and then another miracale goal from Shradi. Thats not how i want to win games, and is not sustainable going forward and does not inspire confidence for the playoffs.

I generally kind of agree with this, but it's also worth noting that their goals were rather fortunate too. Overall, it was an evenly played game on the road, in a ridiculous atmosphere, against a really good team.

It's also worth nothing that we have now played all of our away games against the other 4 teams Doyle has in the Elite: Atlanta, NJ, LAFC, Sporting KC. We are 1-1-2. If these were the away legs of a two-game series, we would feel really good coming home in 3 of the 4.

I still think the Villa criticism is completely unwarranted. Thought he had a really good game got a goal and should have had an assist if Burger didnt totally flub it (make excuses all you want, that should have been a goal). Hes also currently rocking 5 goals and 2 assist with only 6 starts (8 total appearances). Calling for him to not make the 11 is pretty absurd.

Berget is not very good. Aside from that obvious goof, hes clumsy and does a very poor job at winning 50/50 balls. A lot of times he doesnt even jump for them. He tries making off balanced crosses/passes that go nowhere good and just gives up possession too often.

Yes the own goal was unfortunate but Tinnerholm needed to a better job marking his man on that header. Overall i thought he had a fairly poor game aside from maybe 15-20 minutes.

Overall i didnt think we looked good and were lucky to get away with a point. It took practically a PK and then another miracale goal from Shradi. Thats not how i want to win games, and is not sustainable going forward and does not inspire confidence for the playoffs.

Totally agree with you on Villa, who did a good job finding the ball and doing dangerous things with it in this game.

I disagree about Berget. He was dangerous today, and that pass from Villa only looked as good as it did because of a sublime first touch from Mt. Joe. If he made a mistake it was hesitating a split second too long to pull the trigger, allowing Zimmerman to put a toe on it.

Yes the own goal was unfortunate but Tinnerholm needed to a better job marking his man on that header. Overall i thought he had a fairly poor game aside from maybe 15-20 minutes.
Agreed, I thought the own goal was mostly on Tinny there. I know Zimmerman has a height advantage on him, but he could have done better. Or maybe someone else should have been marking him?

Oooohhhh, let me play this game from LAFC's vantage point.

Overall, we played a great first half but allowed NYCFC to have several chances in the second that they flubbed (Villa and Maxi shots wide, Berget and Medina misses). It practically took an own goal and a fluke loose ball in the box to come away with one point at home.

ETA: I realize my last part of this post could come across dickish, but I'm not intending it that way. Basically, we often look at things from our vantage point, but sometimes need to look at things from the opposite side as well. I'm sure LAFC fans are saying a bunch of similar things that we are today.

Last edited:
Agreed, I thought the own goal was mostly on Tinny there. I know Zimmerman has a height advantage on him, but he could have done better. Or maybe someone else should have been marking him?

Overall, we played a great first half but allowed NYCFC to have several chances in the second that they flubbed (Villa and Maxi shots wide, Berget and Medina misses). It practically took an own goal and a fluke loose ball in the box to come away with one point at home.

ETA: I realize my last part of this post could come across dickish, but I'm not intending it that way. Basically, we often look at things from our vantage point, but sometimes need to look at things from the opposite side as well. I'm sure LAFC fans are saying a bunch of similar things that we are today.

all that really tells me is we couldnt even beat a team that also didnt look very good. which again, doesnt inspire confidence.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
2PSVVd2i.jpg

We don't mark players on corner kicks, we strictly play zone. So other teams are able to exploit height advantages/disadvantages based on their runs and where the ball is aimed. It may be the single biggest mistake our coaching staff makes because it's not a valid tactic to defend of corners.

I’m sure LAFC fans would more say “we dominated the second half and should have scored two goals” - ciman’s kick that hit the post and Blessing’s whiffff of the open net.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
We don't mark players on corner kicks, we strictly play zone. So other teams are able to exploit height advantages/disadvantages based on their runs and where the ball is aimed. It may be the single biggest mistake our coaching staff makes because it's not a valid tactic to defend of corners.

Yup if I am playing NYCFC I’m watching who plays where in zone and then sending my 3 tallest players in Maxis zone and serving the ball right there

I’m sure LAFC fans would more say “we dominated the second half and should have scored two goals” - ciman’s kick that hit the post and Blessing’s whiffff of the open net.
I thought LAFC were better than us in the first half, I don't think quite as much in the second. Ciman did have that deflected FK that went off the outside of the post and Blessing did royally F up his wide open chance. But again, I thought we created a ton of chances in the second half as well as some I noted above.

I thought LAFC were better than us in the first half, I don't think quite as much in the second. Ciman did have that deflected FK that went off the outside of the post and Blessing did royally F up his wide open chance. But again, I thought we created a ton of chances in the second half as well as some I noted above.

The last 15-20 minutes of the second half we couldnt keep them out of our box