Man City Discussion

Man City at West Brom just starting on channel 420 on my Time Warner system in case you can't find it.

You probably picked the worst game of the season to watch with no atmosphere at all which is the norm for the UK now.
How did you rate you etihad experience on the whole city square etc .I think the stadium would come across as impressive ?
Daft question but did you realise you were sat underground ?

I didn't fully ken to that but I did notice how the field sloped downward out of bounds from my vantage point to that makes sense. Atmosphere was good enough for me as a Yank. Better than most of what I'm used to and frankly I'm more concerned with what's happening on the field. My disappointment is that I caught them mid mini slump and for the second time that I've gone all the way to Manchester had to watch City held to a draw by inferior opposition.

I didn't fully ken to that but I did notice how the field sloped downward out of bounds from my vantage point to that makes sense. Atmosphere was good enough for me as a Yank. Better than most of what I'm used to and frankly I'm more concerned with what's happening on the field. My disappointment is that I caught them mid mini slump and for the second time that I've gone all the way to Manchester had to watch City held to a draw by inferior opposition.
The whole of the first level of seats is underground.when the ground was converted from the commonwealth games they dug the running track out and put the seats in below ground level.
I'd been going about 8 years till I realised .
Surprised you thought it was a good atmosphere ,must of been good for you to see a game in a built for purpose stadium a half size etihad style stadium 27:000 word be fine for nycfc
Manchester city centre is a bit rough bet you felt safer in the Bronx than there :+)

Sterling with a yellow for simulation that is a clear penalty.

Barcelona score. Man City score. 1-1 at halftime, Man City threatening.

Sterling with a terrible first touch that should have made it 2-1 a minute after the 2nd half.

DE BRUYNE GOAL. 2-1 CITY!

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Sterling with a yellow for simulation that is a clear penalty.

Barcelona score. Man City score. 1-1 at halftime, Man City threatening.

Sterling with a terrible first touch that should have made it 2-1 a minute after the 2nd half.

DE BRUYNE GOAL. 2-1 CITY!
De Bruyne is sick. For me, current best players are Messi, Ronaldo, De Bruyne

What a game. What a win for City. It's incredible what they've achieved under Pep. They wouldn't have dreamed of playing attackingg football against Barcelona. And here they are taking it to them for 45 minutes. They definitely lost the first half but that second was great to watch.
Even the first game they threatened but beat themselves in the end.

What a game. What a win for City. It's incredible what they've achieved under Pep. They wouldn't have dreamed of playing attackingg football against Barcelona. And here they are taking it to them for 45 minutes. They definitely lost the first half but that second was great to watch.
It wouldn't be wrong to say that Pep abandoned his philosophy a good bit with what they did to get back. Really interesting to see if he continues to evolve or if this was some function of him calling it equivalent to a title match for his club and acknowledging Barca are basically through already.

Either way, good win for MC, for sure. I think they could make the last 8, maybe semis, if he shows more pragmatism such as he did today.

Taurus Taurus , holy shit. Hold up a bit there, cowboy. DeBruyne is City's best player in this system (2nd best player overall), but you're skipping a whole lot of people to reach that conclusion that he's 3rd in the world. I assume this is post match excitement.

Even in the PL, lots of professional observers rate Coutinho over DeBruyne. I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Great player, of course. He's just not done enough yet to even warrant mentioning in the same sentence.

Yeah, also Barca's first goal was very much against the run of play and knocked the stuffing out of City. Must have been some locker room talk at the half!

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
It wouldn't be wrong to say that Pep abandoned his philosophy a good bit with what they did to get back. Really interesting to see if he continues to evolve or if this was some function of him calling it equivalent to a title match for his club and acknowledging Barca are basically through already.

Either way, good win for MC, for sure. I think they could make the last 8, maybe semis, if he shows more pragmatism such as he did today.

Taurus Taurus , holy shit. Hold up a bit there, cowboy. DeBruyne is City's best player in this system (2nd best player overall), but you're skipping a whole lot of people to reach that conclusion that he's 3rd in the world. I assume this is post match excitement.

Even in the PL, lots of professional observers rate Coutinho over DeBruyne. I wouldn't put either in the top 10. Great player, of course. He's just not done enough yet to even warrant mentioning in the same sentence.
Curious what your read was on the change in philosophy. I was trying to do work at the time so wasn't completely tuned in. Looked like they hummed up the center and gave Aguero more support. Very narrow too. But pressing high and winning the ball high up the pitch is very Pep. So is positional awareness and generating overloads.

So I read evolution, not revolution.

Curious what your read was on the change in philosophy. I was trying to do work at the time so wasn't completely tuned in. Looked like they hummed up the center and gave Aguero more support. Very narrow too. But pressing high and winning the ball high up the pitch is very Pep. So is positional awareness and generating overloads.

They came out playing MUCH higher up the pitch and didn't cave in when Barca had possession as they did in first half. Left themselves more exposed when Barca played through but also allowed for very fast counter attacks when they won the ball back.

I think Midas is right, though. Pep himself said the same after the game - that it was a tactical concession made because his players aren't yet ready to play the full system he wants.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37843126

In other news, I wonder how the game would've gone if Sterling had been given the penalty earlier in the game.

Basically, it's what Falastur said. I just wonder how pragmatic he'll be in CL & PL going forward.

Like, would he have made the changes if Bravo were in the team? If he mixes some pragmatism into that team, I reckon they'll easily win PL.

Basically, it's what Falastur said. I just wonder how pragmatic he'll be in CL & PL going forward.

Like, would he have made the changes if Bravo were in the team? If he mixes some pragmatism into that team, I reckon they'll easily win PL.
When playing Spurs again you have to take a similar approach. The speed which Spurs pressed them with was more than the defenders could handle which led to tons of giveaways. Similar to how Barca started yesterday. They decided to play long and win back balls in the midfield and it worked wonders.

I knew it was a bold statement to put De Bruyne in that lot and would get a comment, but I think it's an interesting debate to have. I still stick by my opinion. When simply just watching him play, for me he has it all. The first touch, speed, free kick ability, goals, passing ability in the box and awareness of the game.

He has not won all the accolades yet, but i'm putting him up there before the rest of the "professional media" makes it known. I have confidence if not this year, perhaps next year he will be part of the top group of players named as FIFA or UEFA player of the year, and I'd say finish above Coutinho.

Certainly not the best attacker, but as all round player, he's in top 3 for me and I would pick him as starting XI on a World all start team.

We'll come back to this thread for "kicks" in about a year.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I knew it was a bold statement to put De Bruyne in that lot and would get a comment, but I think it's an interesting debate to have. I still stick by my opinion. When simply just watching him play, for me he has it all. The first touch, speed, free kick ability, goals, passing ability in the box and awareness of the game.

He has not won all the accolades yet, but i'm putting him up there before the rest of the "professional media" makes it known. I have confidence if not this year, perhaps next year he will be part of the top group of players named as FIFA or UEFA player of the year, and I'd say finish above Coutinho.

Certainly not the best attacker, but as all round player, he's in top 3 for me and I would pick him as starting XI on a World all start team.

We'll come back to this thread for "kicks" in about a year.
Hey sooner then I thought, FIFA announced the 23 finalist for player of the year today. Looks like De Bruyne is still on the list.

Sorry Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan looks like they forgot Coutinho. :(

http://www.fifa.com/the-best-fifa-f...847943.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_news_top

Reactions: Ulrich
Totally understand. haha, like I said, they haven't caught up to me yet.....:)
Or...maybe you haven't caught up to reality ;)

Like I said, I wouldn't put either one in the top 10 players in the world. But based on this year's performance, I would not trade Phil for DeBruyne.
Philippe Coutinho Kevin De Bruyne
M(CLR) AM(CLR),FW
Apps 9(1) 8(1)
Mins 756 672
Goals 4 2
Assists 4 5
Yel 1 1
Red - -
SpG 4.1 3.2
PS% 84.5 82.1
AerialsWon 0.1 0.4
MotM 4 1
Rating 7.97 7.63

Or...maybe you haven't caught up to reality ;)

Like I said, I wouldn't put either one in the top 10 players in the world. But based on this year's performance, I would not trade Phil for DeBruyne.
Philippe Coutinho Kevin De Bruyne
M(CLR) AM(CLR),FW
Apps 9(1) 8(1)
Mins 756 672
Goals 4 2
Assists 4 5
Yel 1 1
Red - -
SpG 4.1 3.2
PS% 84.5 82.1
AerialsWon 0.1 0.4
MotM 4 1
Rating 7.97 7.63
Well the jury is still out on that. Plus, I did give myself a year, just happen to have some leading "professional" opinions now. We're all entitled to opinions. Nothing will change that. I would trade him because I feel he is better now and even if you don't now, I believe he will be over his entire career. Anyway, he is number 3 for me. Curious, who is number 3 for you?

Some will say Neymar, which is is valid, but for me I'm defining on all-around player.

Well the jury is still out on that. Plus, I did give myself a year, just happen to have some leading "professional" opinions now. We're all entitled to opinions. Nothing will change that. I would trade him because I feel he is better now and even if you don't now, I believe he will be over his entire career. Anyway, he is number 3 for me. Curious, who is number 3 for you?

Some will say Neymar, which is is valid, but for me I'm defining on all-around player.
Suarez. He's the best striker in the world.

Reactions: Ulrich and Taurus