Matarrita Deal Finalized?

Technically Mattarita is earning a DP salary. Players 21-23 years old can be DPs with a salary over 200k. His salary plus transfer fee (divided over the his contract) puts him over that 200k threshold so we could use TAM. I imagine that all of our allocation money is going to Mix and the trade for Harrison.

Is that the way it works? Here's the rule:

The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed the maximum budget charge[.]

A Designated Player 20 years old or younger** is charged $150,000 against the club’s salary budget and a Designated Player 21-23 years old** is charged $200,000 against the club’s salary budget.

** Age of player is determined by year (not date) of birth.

By a plain reading of the rule, it seems like a player can only be a DP if they are above the maximum budget charge, which is $457,500 this season, which applies to all players at any age.

But if they are 21-23 years old, as Matarrita is, the player will only be counted $200k against the cap.

It also makes sense considering the league would want to incentivize younger DPs. If they made younger players more easily count as DPs, it would disincentive their signing.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Good example if you guys are interested is Fabian Castillo. He is 23 and a DP and makes under 200k. He's been a DP since 2011.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
All that says is that no player can be charged more 436k on the salary cap...nothing to do with age and charges which is addressed later in the rules.
The way the rules are written on that site, I don't see how it can be interpreted the way which you are:

"The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed the maximum budget charge". The maximum budget charge was previously defined as "The maximum budget charge for a single player is $436,250."

To me, the above means that DPs are those whose salaries are above $436,250.

Buttttttt

Good example if you guys are interested is Fabian Castillo. He is 23 and a DP and makes under 200k. He's been a DP since 2011.
This is a very valid point. I see Castillo's salary well under the maximum budget charge and he is considered a DP. So, even after applying the above logic as I do, I cannot argue with you here.

Edit: Why is he actually considered a DP at all? Is there some benefit to Dallas for doing so? The roster rules state the DP charge for someone 21-23 is $200k, but Castillo per the player's union list is only making $145k.

Reactions: sbrylski
The way the rules are written on that site, I don't see how it can be interpreted the way which you are:

"The Designated Player Rule allows clubs to acquire up to three players whose salaries exceed the maximum budget charge". The maximum budget charge was previously defined as "The maximum budget charge for a single player is $436,250."

To me, the above means that DPs are those whose salaries are above $436,250.

Buttttttt

This is a very valid point. I see Castillo's salary well under the maximum budget charge and he is considered a DP. So, even after applying the above logic as I do, I cannot argue with you here.

Edit: Why is he actually considered a DP at all? Is there some benefit to Dallas for doing so? The roster rules state the DP charge for someone 21-23 is $200k, but Castillo per the player's union list is only making $145k.

Extremely strange. Transfer fees don't explain it either, as wikipedia says Castillo's original transfer fee was $800k, which would have been spread over his initial 3-year contract. But he has since signed a 5-year extension, so the transfer fee no longer factors in.

Dividing the transfer fee over 3 years definitely has him over the 200k threshold so idk mls for you.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm glad there are a bunch of people willing to keep track of, attempt to understand, provide links to, and explain the vagaries and intricacies of all these foolish MLS rules. They make my head spin. As long as I know who is theoretically available or already here and if/how they fit into the complex structure, that's all I care about. Just know that many of us appreciate the effort of those of you with a Masters in MLS.

I'm glad there are a bunch of people willing to keep track of, attempt to understand, provide links to, and explain the vagaries and intricacies of all these foolish MLS rules. They make my head spin. As long as I know who is theoretically available or already here and if/how they fit into the complex structure, that's all I care about. Just know that many of us appreciate the effort of those of you with a Masters in MLS.

Agreed. They should offer MLS rules 101 in college as the rule book itself is probably an ever changing textbook that's already on its 8th edition.

I appreciate everyone's effort here to break down the rules for us.

Would be good to start a good relationship with Batica. He is the agent or Joel Campbell and Celso Borges among others.

his twitter profile says he is an agent licensed by the french FA, maybe a french connection with PV ?

Reactions: BxLio91