Matarrita Deal Finalized?

I guess the PR department is taking an extra long weekend? This seems done af. Was expecting a press release today.

Reactions: Kjbert
I guess the PR department is taking an extra long weekend? This seems done af. Was expecting a press release today.
No idea what's going on at NYCFC HQ..... I tried calling my rep this morning and was on hold for 15 minutes.... went numb listening to the music and called back after lunch.

That interview was right before he got on the plane. They want to give him a day's rest before all the hoopla tomorrow morning.

I would assume we'll get the official press release and pictures of him holding a scarf once he arrives in NYC in a few days

“In Matarrita, we are getting a young, motivated and versatile player at the perfect stage of his career,” said Reyna. " He has already broken through as an international and can help strengthen our squad immediately and at only 21, we know he will develop into an even more important player in the future”

Head coach Patrick Vieira echoed what Reyna had to say and also praised Matarrita’s versatility.

"We are very happy to bring in a young player of Ronald’s quality into the squad, said Vieira. "He’s a versatile player that can play in a number of different positions, for a coach it’s great to have players like that in the group. I’m especially looking forward to having Ronald with the team during preseason, it’s an important moment for new signings to integrate to the squad and get to know their teammates better."

He definitely *is* versatile, having played a lot of midfield and some left back. But it's a little strange to me that we are valuing that so highly. He should be entrenched at left back to fully learn and develop into the position.

I think the only way we want him seeing the field at anything other than LB is if it turns out that he is a lot rawer than we expect and isn't ready to start full-time. In that case, maybe he is a change of pace guy on the wing the same way Angelino was late in the season. But, given the hole at LB, I am really hoping he is ready to go from the outset.

TAM used to get him

Is it possible that we actually couldn't afford both Matarrita and Teixeira? We know we didn't have a ton of cap room this offseason, yet we've already made a few moves now. Both of those players would have cost transfer fees, which can really eat into the cap and TAM. And if we have extremely limited cap room, it wouldn't be as easy as buying a player down to $400k, we would probably have to take him all the way down to the minimum of $150k to fit him under the budget.

That wouldn't bode well for the idea of us moving on to a new CB target. I'm going to start expecting an Adarabioyo loan or similar CB, I think.

A backline of [Matarrita - Mena - Adarabioyo - Iraola] at least has potential to be sufficient, but we'd still be razor thin with Hernandez and Allen behind them and have an average defense at best.

Also, that's an expensive backline for "average at best." Three guys making probably $1 million between them, or 30% of the entire cap. Yikes. After next season we are probably going to make some tough choices on our more expensive players (e.g. Mena, Mix, Iraola, etc.)

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Is it possible that we actually couldn't afford both Matarrita and Teixeira? We know we didn't have a ton of cap room this offseason, yet we've already made a few moves now. Both of those players would have cost transfer fees, which can really eat into the cap and TAM. And if we have extremely limited cap room, it wouldn't be as easy as buying a player down to $400k, we would probably have to take him all the way down to the minimum of $150k to fit him under the budget.

That wouldn't bode well for the idea of us moving on to a new CB target. I'm going to start expecting an Adarabioyo loan or similar CB, I think.

A backline of [Matarrita - Mena - Adarabioyo - Iraola] at least has potential to be sufficient, but we'd still be razor thin with Hernandez and Allen behind them and have an average defense at best.

Also, that's an expensive backline for "average at best." Three guys making probably $1 million between them, or 30% of the entire cap. Yikes. After next season we are probably going to make some tough choices on our more expensive players (e.g. Mena, Mix, Iraola, etc.)
Wingert's salary should be gone next year.... him and Hernandez are pricey bench players in the current proposed lineup.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gavin23
Technically Mattarita is earning a DP salary. Players 21-23 years old can be DPs with a salary over 200k. His salary plus transfer fee (divided over the his contract) puts him over that 200k threshold so we could use TAM. I imagine that all of our allocation money is going to Mix and the trade for Harrison.