MLS - April 2 - Toronto (Away)

it's fairly straight forward. just need a good VPN provider (i use ExpressVPN), connect to a location outside the region, and then log into ESPN+. Sometimes you'll have to connect to different locations to find one with an IP that isn't blocked, but in the last 2 years, I haven't had any issues watching the game over VPN.

Yes, there is a cost involved for the VPN service, but I don't think it's too bad. There is a cost for ESPN+ too but well worth the subscription with all the soccer content on there these days (la liga, bundesliga, domestic cup games, etc). Definitely sucks that many of us have to go through this work around, but it is what it is.

Here's to a solid performance from the boys today. Hoping to see gabriel pereira today at least for 20 mins or something.
I use NordVPN and it works great.

The replays are usually there for a while on ESPN+.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
I'm going to be out from about 4:30 to 6. My plan was to watch the DVR when I got home, but I fear the Yankee rain delay mots that option. Does anyone remember the usual procedure when the Yankee game runs over into the start of a NYCFC game? Do they pick up at whatever point it is in the soccer game or do they start it from the beginning? Given there is a Nets game at 7:30 with pregame at 7, I am guessing they just show the partial NYCFC until the overnight replay.

ETA: Never mind. Yankee preseason game was called final after 6 innings, rain delay, and 10-0 score. We should appear as normal on YES.

Last edited:
Replays are usually one week i think .. once you can't select the day there isn't any way to get to it.
I've been able to access replays for a while afterwards.

I just checked now, the Vancouver game from 3/5 is still available on ESPN+. The LAG is not, because it was not provided on ESPN+ to begin with, but other league games from that Feb Saturday are still available.

Reactions: moogoo
Better for the first 30 and the last 30. The middle 30 lost the game.

They need to figure out this patchwork fullback mess. Perhaps playing time helps, but the Gloster + Acevedo combination leaves too much cover. If Chanot is healthy, I'd prefer three at the back, with offensive minded wingbacks ready to push forward consistently. If it makes it more vulnerable to the counter, so be it - win 3-2, not 1-0.

Toronto is not very good so a frustrating loss, but CCL and a long homestand await. I predict Toronto will struggle to make the playoffs, even with Insigne.

tough game. we seemed like the better team in the first half, but score just didn't reflect it.

PK should have stood. Fischer is a dumbass.

Acevedo is not good as a right back. If gray couldn't play, i'd much prefer jasson. He's quicker and more of an offensive threat. Acevedo is slow. If you're gonna give up defensive potential, might as well get some offense out of it. I don't think acevedo is very good at defending either.

Gloster on the left started out good but when he ran out of gas it showed in every way. Kid is out of shape and it shows. If he got himself fit enough to play a full 90 at this level, he'd probably play much better. That's a big IF though. Even ronny said he's got good technical skill but he needs to work on taking care of himself better and he was one who came to preseason not that fit.

Martins needs time to fit in and sync with callens and everyone but damn.. these last 2 games have been trial by fire for him. Not having an experienced right back to help him is definitely making it worse for him, I think. I think he'll be ok with more time but for now, there are going to be some growing pains for sure.

Pereira looked great... almost like how Santi looked when he first arrived last year. I think they have similar energies on the field, which is good to see.

I thought Parks and Morales were a bit outmatched in midfield today. Especially in the 2nd half. They just couldn't progress the ball forward very well.

Happy Heber got his goal. Hope it is the first of many this year.

I don't know what it is but despite the so so performance and the loss, i'm not all that angry. Guess it's because I know we are still alive and kicking in CCL and we are defending champs. We had a slump last year where I was losing my shit and we ended up winning MLS cup. lol. I will choose to trust in this team and coaching staff. Let's go crush Seattle!

What’s the point of VAR if the ref making the decision doesn’t get the right angles/pictures to evaluate the call? Are you really kidding me with this s*it?

Guess what happens - if you don’t have “the right pictures” then by definition it is not CLEAR AND OBVIOUS and the call on the field stands. Come on.

What’s the point of VAR if the ref making the decision doesn’t get the right angles/pictures to evaluate the call? Are you really kidding me with this s*it?

Guess what happens - if you don’t have “the right pictures” then by definition it is not CLEAR AND OBVIOUS and the call on the field stands. Come on.

why is VAR even calling for a review anyway if they don't have a clear pictures to make it CLEAR AND OBVIOUS to review/reverse the call. total amateur hour from PRO

Reactions: danger and canchon
tough game. we seemed like the better team in the first half, but score just didn't reflect it.

PK should have stood. Fischer is a dumbass.

Acevedo is not good as a right back. If gray couldn't play, i'd much prefer jasson. He's quicker and more of an offensive threat. Acevedo is slow. If you're gonna give up defensive potential, might as well get some offense out of it. I don't think acevedo is very good at defending either.

Gloster on the left started out good but when he ran out of gas it showed in every way. Kid is out of shape and it shows. If he got himself fit enough to play a full 90 at this level, he'd probably play much better. That's a big IF though. Even ronny said he's got good technical skill but he needs to work on taking care of himself better and he was one who came to preseason not that fit.

Martins needs time to fit in and sync with callens and everyone but damn.. these last 2 games have been trial by fire for him. Not having an experienced right back to help him is definitely making it worse for him, I think. I think he'll be ok with more time but for now, there are going to be some growing pains for sure.

Pereira looked great... almost like how Santi looked when he first arrived last year. I think they have similar energies on the field, which is good to see.

I thought Parks and Morales were a bit outmatched in midfield today. Especially in the 2nd half. They just couldn't progress the ball forward very well.

Happy Heber got his goal. Hope it is the first of many this year.

I don't know what it is but despite the so so performance and the loss, i'm not all that angry. Guess it's because I know we are still alive and kicking in CCL and we are defending champs. We had a slump last year where I was losing my shit and we ended up winning MLS cup. lol. I will choose to trust in this team and coaching staff. Let's go crush Seattle!
I'm down with all of this. Although I'm not sure getting Gloster straightened out is just a matter of burning off the beer gut. He shows flashes of technical skill for sure, but I'm not convinced he really has a complete, coherent game in his head.

But as to the rest, absolutely. I didn't see anything today which couldn't get put on the right track with a little work, time and fitness. Tough start to the year, but to be honest I'd rather start slow and get stronger than start strong and fall apart any day.

I’m less concerned with Gloster and Cacha, who aren’t starters where they played today, Than I am about Martins, who was ball watching on te first goal and just poor on the OG. He’s a DP and he has been positioned poorly a number of times already. Neither of the fails involved Cacha at all so that excuse doesn’t wash. Also, one would hope that pairing with Callens would offset his errors. Chanot in his minutes has been better than him. I hope he gets it together as the talent is clearly there and we need a long term Chanot replacement.

Gloster was pretty terrible. He just panicked on what should have been some simple balls in. IMHO that’s down to lack of composure rather than fitness. As for Cacha, let’s remember that last match it was Jasson who slept on both goals, so empirically Cacha did a better job today. That said I hope Grey comes back soon.

On A more optimistic note, we looked the better team for most of the game and Toronto really should feel that they stole the points. We looked very comfortable on the ball and it was GREAT to see Heber finally bag one.

Reactions: danger
Sigh.

That was clearly a penalty.

Happy Heber got his goal.

Move on.
We'll get our chances at redemption soon enough. Nice homestand between now and May Day, and of course the tie with Seattle in the CCL. Plus we only have two games on the road in May and one of them is the short trip to D.C.

So, it's there for us if we get our heads together. Which we will. #VayaPalomas

giphy.gif

It’s really all about the Champions League at this point. Today’s game was just another training session in my mind. Not the best training session, but also not one that should hinder a good performance from our best 11 later this week.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Seattle did look really good tonight and got a W on the road though in Minnesota.

NYCFC is definitely the underdog in the CCL round, especially if Chanot and Malte are out.

Reactions: moogoo
Pretty frustrating game where it felt like we had the better of play for a while.

Everyone else has said it. The VAR thing was a joke. Complete farce.

The fullback situation is a mess. Gloster is not good enough, and if Amundsen is unavailable it's a major problem. That needs to be a focus. Anton isn't back until summer, and odds are he won't be 100% until next year. We can't go the entire year with Gray, Jasson, Gloster, and Acevedo as our options over there. We're going to have to figure out a solution there.

Pereira looked like another exciting player, looking forward to seeing more from him.

So pumped Heber finally got his goal. Even if he's still not what he was in 2019, he knows where to be and makes the right runs. The goals will come. Now to get Taty off the schneid. Feels like he isn't getting anywhere near enough service, especially in the danger areas.

First time I’m really seeing all the players come out and calling it a penalty.