MLS Cup Playoffs - December 11 - Portland (Away)

View attachment 11657
I don’t know why I find it so funny that this post on Facebook doesn’t match the 11 in the article that Greg Steltzer put out in his article. It’s just very dumb and inconsistent for a league trying to build a reputation.

It's hard to argue against Blanco usually, but with his hamstring injury and lack of playing time in the playoffs, and Santi Rodriguez's quality of play in the playoffs (and perhaps a little bias), I'd have to have Santi there.

Reactions: moogoo
time for the old "champion teams get it done and know how to win" cliche

doyle literally sums up the analysis with “NYCFC is a nightmare matchup for Portland.” One paragraph later, picks Portland to win based on the “they’ve been there before and knows how to get it done”. And he’s supposed to be the tactical analyst.

Does portland have any MLS-winning-player on their team that is apparently required every year to win mls cup? nycfc doesn't right?

Reactions: Kjbert
doyle literally sums up the analysis with “NYCFC is a nightmare matchup for Portland.” One paragraph later, picks Portland to win based on the “they’ve been there before and knows how to get it done”. And he’s supposed to be the tactical analyst.
Truth is, the last 4-5 years of Doyle on NYCFC has always been "they're better than mostly everyone and play beautiful soccer but I'm not going to believe they get it done in a big spot until they do." And sadly, that has served him well. I would have been disappointed if he said or wrote anything different for this game. He's been right every year about NYCFC because he hasn't tried to predict the end of a streak.

Truth is, the last 4-5 years of Doyle on NYCFC has always been "they're better than mostly everyone and play beautiful soccer but I'm not going to believe they get it done in a big spot until they do." And sadly, that has served him well. I would have been disappointed if he said or wrote anything different for this game. He's been right every year about NYCFC because he hasn't tried to predict the end of a streak.
But there are 24 teams in MLS, and from the west only two have made it to the final in the past 7 years. So it's easy to pick any of the other teams and say "but I won't believe it until they win mls cup" and you'd be fine because they just won't.

But there are 24 teams in MLS, and from the west only two have made it to the final in the past 7 years. So it's easy to pick any of the other teams and say "but I won't believe it until they win mls cup" and you'd be fine because they just won't.
Basically how I picked my bracket this year lol, I had Portland and Seattle in the western conference because they are destined to be there

View attachment 11657
I don’t know why I find it so funny that this post on Facebook doesn’t match the 11 in the article that Greg Steltzer put out in his article. It’s just very dumb and inconsistent for a league trying to build a reputation.

The big difference between these two is that one lineup gives 3/5 of the defensive spots to the team that gave up 52 goals (Portland) and the other gives 4/5 to the team that gave up 36 goals (NYC).

Also, if you are looking for consistency, note that not a single article mentioning Taty’s Golden Boot fails to tack on at the end “presented by Audi.”

lol

timbers army already harassing our guys when they arrived at providence park to train..

chants of "go home new york, go home new york, go home.." lol
I mean why not? This is classic sports bantering and I'm perfectly fine with them doing that

I mean why not? This is classic sports bantering and I'm perfectly fine with them doing that

I am too. I like it and respect their dedication. If only we had demand like portland does. even when we get our stadium, will we have thousands of fans on a wait list for season tickets?

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
No. I think it's different when a team has the best record in the league over 6-7 years and only wins 1 playoff round in that entire time, while also never going far in any tournaments. Orlando has no real playoff success, but is that because they don't win elimination games or because they just haven't been that good mostly?

Last edited:
Agreed. But how do you feel about supporter sleep deprivation measures like late night visitor's club hotel chanting, fireworks, and fire alarms? I hope Portland supporters are not that sophisticated, as our boys need their sleep!

Agreed. But how do you feel about supporter sleep deprivation measures like late night visitor's club hotel chanting, fireworks, and fire alarms? I hope Portland supporters are not that sophisticated, as our boys need their sleep!
Fireworks are illegal in Oregon

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
No. I think it's different when a team has the best record in the league over 6-7 years and only wins 1 playoff round in that entire time, while also never going far in any tournaments. Orlando has no real playoff success, but it that because they don't win elimination games or because they just haven't been that good mostly?
I hear it, but playoff success doesn't come from regular season success. Perennial playoff teams haven't made it to MLS cup in a long time, and while they don't have the most points over X amount of seasons, they are perennial contenders and yet have the same problem. I'm not saying we count orlando here because they're frankly only good since last year, but other teams like Philly, Atlanta, NJ, KC (barring last year's fluke 11th)

I think if there's home field advantage, there's nothing you can do about it. Or you find a hotel for the team that's a bit of a ways out so fans can't get there to bother them. (And besides, I think it's hilarious when it's done, even if it's bad sportsmanship)

Reactions: JayH
I think if there's home field advantage, there's nothing you can do about it. Or you find a hotel for the team that's a bit of a ways out so fans can't get there to bother them. (And besides, I think it's hilarious when it's done, even if it's bad sportsmanship)

everyone gets ear plugs or ANC headphones!

• Haha
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Maybe an event at City Hall followed by a rally at Yankee Stadium?
Is there a Subway direct from Gracie Mansion area up to Yankee Stadium. Ceremony at City Hall followed by a supporter train with the team up to YS

Is there a Subway direct from Gracie Mansion area up to Yankee Stadium. Ceremony at City Hall followed by a supporter train with the team up to YS

Closest direct subway to YS from gracie mansion is the 4, which is a few avenue blocks away. the 4 does go all the way down to city hall so technically it is possible. but doubtful they would have a dedicated supporter train :)

4 train at 86th St and Lex is closest to Gracie Mansion (I'm just two blocks away from Gracie Mansion).