MLS Cup Playoffs - December 11 - Portland (Away)

It's time to have the weather discussion.

Current forecast from the National Weather Service has the following conditions at kickoff:
  • 46 degrees, wind chill 39
  • rain between 3/4" and 1" over the day
  • winds of 23 mph, gusting to 33
In short, a mess.

So, whom does this favor?*

I think the two biggest potential factors are the combination of rain/turf and wind.

The rain could be pretty heavy. I have heard Portland's artificial surface is about the best there is for the fake stuff, but I don't know how well it deals with rain and how that will affect how the ball moves on it - e.g. whether it will be more prone to skipping quickly across wet turf. I do think Portland will be more familiar with how it plays.

The wind could be an even bigger factor. Portland's stadium, however is fairly vertical and well enclosed, so perhaps that will block its worst effects. The winds are supposed to be out of the south-southwest, or basically straight from the goal on the athletic club end. There are openings on either side that could allow the wind to get in and swirl around. In the end, I think this is a push - a random element that might impact either team on long balls & switches.

----
* - other than the fans who have elected to watch from home
Updated weather, more rain, maybe a little less wind.

Current forecast from the National Weather Service has the following conditions at kickoff.
  • 48 degrees, wind chill 42
  • rain between 1" and 2" over the day
  • winds of 14 mph, gusting to 24

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Updated weather, more rain, maybe a little less wind.

Current forecast from the National Weather Service has the following conditions at kickoff.
  • 48 degrees, wind chill 42
  • winds of 14 mph, gusting to 24
Updated weather, bad at kickoff, but the worst of it is before that - overnight and very early morning.

• 48 degrees, wind chill 43
  • winds of 10 mph, gusting to 20

So Portland wants to play on the counter. We want to keep the ball on the ground and walk the ball into the goal. Wouldn’t bad weather conditions and a slick surface play more into our hands than theirs? Am I missing something

And then a question for everyone…

If you didn’t get to watch the game and didn’t see the final score, if there was one stat or metric that you could look at to give you a sense of what happened in the game, what stat or metric would that be? I’m thinking time of possession, xG etc

For me, it would be a heat map of Maxi Moralez. If his heat map is very advanced into the opposition third, I think it means we’ve absolutely taken the game to them and put them under considerable pressure

Reactions: JCMore

If you didn’t get to watch the game and didn’t see the final score, if there was one stat or metric that you could look at to give you a sense of what happened in the game, what stat or metric would that be? I’m thinking time of possession, xG etc

For me, it would be a heat map of Maxi Moralez. If his heat map is very advanced into the opposition third, I think it means we’ve absolutely taken the game to them and put them under considerable pressure
Duels won/Tackles won

One stat or metric? "Goals scored" ;)

...jokes aside, I really don't know. maybe player positioning heatmap? Might give a sense of what the players were doing over the course of the game, which in turn can show you if we were attacking or defending?

Portland's shot location map. If they're shooting well inside our box then their counters are getting past our defense. If mostly from the perimeter then we're controlling them.

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
One stat or metric? "Goals scored" ;)

...jokes aside, I really don't know. maybe player positioning heatmap? Might give a sense of what the players were doing over the course of the game, which in turn can show you if we were attacking or defending?
My thought too. I think the two most interesting heat maps are Maxi and Tayvon.

Reactions: Shwafta
Portland's shot location map. If they're shooting well inside our box then their counters are getting past our defense. If mostly from the perimeter then we're controlling them.
Love this answer. Keep them coming

I know it's a joke but they likely have the stock ready in multiple places so that depending on which team wins, they can shove out the stock ASAP. And then the loser ships off all the bad clothing to underprivileged peoples. https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/losing-team-championship-merchandise/

they do this all the time for every sport. this is why people after wards say that that the shirts of the losing team are sent to another country as a donation. i mean im pretty sure they had philly hats ready in case they won the eastern conference championship

Reactions: Shwafta and Kjbert