MLS Cup Playoffs - December 11 - Portland (Away)

Last night they allowed buying up to 4 tickets and prices were $10 for City Members and $58 for non-City Members. Today they switch to 2 tickets and all prices at $58. This should have been coordinated a lot better on the front office's part, intern.
Could have been handled better? Yes.

But I'm also pleased that the reason is that they underestimated the market for cross-continental travel on less than one week's notice.

I would love to know (1) the ratio of demand for this game compared to regular season west coast games, (2) ratio of this game to non-Final playoff games in closer locations (like New England and Philly), and the ratio of other teams for similar games.

They saw the demand and are now trying to make more cash off of it. Kinda sucks
I don't think they're making a penny on these sales. The tickets are actually sold by the Timbers and they are required to allocate a certain amount at the "away day" rate, but no more than that.

$58 for a Championship game in a small stadium is the bargain of a lifetime.

Could have been handled better? Yes.

But I'm also pleased that the reason is that they underestimated the market for cross-continental travel on less than one week's notice.

I would love to know (1) the ratio of demand for this game compared to regular season west coast games, (2) ratio of this game to non-Final playoff games in closer locations (like New England and Philly), and the ratio of other teams for similar games.
I was told they had >2000 requests for Philly tickets.

On the ride back home after getting back from the bus trip to Philly, I was looking at the city and the people and thought to myself, nobody cares enough about this team or this league. How many people in the city at that time even knew what had just happened. When the Yankees/Mets make it to the World Series, when the Giants/Jets make to the Super Bowl, when the Knicks/Nets make it to the NBA Finals, when the Rangers/Islanders/Devils make it to the Stanley Cup you're either living under a rock or blissfully ignorant. We're still so niche in the greater landscape of sports in America and culture of this city. No way does a parade happen. What were would be is an event outside City Hall with a few hundred or so people.
You had me until Devils. They won three Stanley Cups and nobody gave a rat's ass!

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah -- back then they would NEVER build a major league baseball stadium in that shape or with those ridiculous dimensions:

View attachment 11632
OK I realize that's the Polo Grounds, but it just gave me a fun idea. If NYCFC had a mascot, next time Portland visits, I would set him/her/it/whatever up with a poster showing a photo of the Portland stadium in it's baseball configuration, and the text "It's called 'baseball'." Then put it on an easel where the visiting players come out onto the field with the mascot standing next to it.

But we don't have a mascot (not a bad thing actually) or a playfully funny/aggressive culture.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
On the ride back home after getting back from the bus trip to Philly, I was looking at the city and the people and thought to myself, nobody cares enough about this team or this league. How many people in the city at that time even knew what had just happened. When the Yankees/Mets make it to the World Series, when the Giants/Jets make to the Super Bowl, when the Knicks/Nets make it to the NBA Finals, when the Rangers/Islanders/Devils make it to the Stanley Cup you're either living under a rock or blissfully ignorant. We're still so niche in the greater landscape of sports in America and culture of this city. No way does a parade happen. What were would be is an event outside City Hall with a few hundred or so people.

club should pay for a billboard in times square to celebrate. that'd be cool.

should also advertise that we're in MLS CUP

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Last night they allowed buying up to 4 tickets and prices were $10 for City Members and $58 for non-City Members. Today they switch to 2 tickets and all prices at $58. This should have been coordinated a lot better on the front office's part, intern.

not a terrible ticket price, i think it was $50 for an away ticket in 2016 when nycfc went there for the first time for a regular season game.

OK I realize that's the Polo Grounds, but it just gave me a fun idea. If NYCFC had a mascot, next time Portland visits, I would set him/her/it/whatever up with a poster showing a photo of the Portland stadium in it's baseball configuration, and the text "It's called 'baseball'." Then put it on an easel where the visiting players come out onto the field with the mascot standing next to it.

But we don't have a mascot (not a bad thing actually) or a playfully funny/aggressive culture.

i thought that guy with the pigeon mask was our unofficial mascot?

Looks like prices went up? that's sad.

Dear City Members,

We cannot thank you enough for your support and enthusiasm as NYCFC advances to the Audi 2021 MLS Cup for the first time ever. We’re sharing an update on incremental away ticket allotment and when they’ll go on sale to City Members.

Please see below for important information. Please note that tickets are extremely limited and are sold on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Away tickets will go on-sale for City Members starting tomorrow, December 7 at 10:30 am
  • The price for these tickets will be $58 per ticket.
  • A maximum of two (2) tickets can be purchased for the match.
As always, thank you for your support!

LET’S GO YOU BOYS IN BLUE!!!

Talking to my rep today, she thought that founding members may get an early access at 10:00. Not sure if that's coming to fruition or not, but it may be a late notice some of us will get.

Yeah -- back then they would NEVER build a major league baseball stadium in that shape or with those ridiculous dimensions:

View attachment 11632
Well, technically, the Polo Grounds was built for, well, polo.*

* Well, technically, only the first Polo Grounds was built for polo. Versions 2 and 3 were designed with baseball and football in mind. And version 4 is the one most people nowadays are thinking of when they say "Polo Grounds." It's complicated!

* Well, technically, only the first Polo Grounds was built for polo. Versions 2 and 3 were designed with baseball and football in mind. And version 4 is the one most people nowadays are thinking of when they say "Polo Grounds." It's complicated!

like madison square garden. I think the one now is also like the 4th version of it. although the others were in different parts of city but same name.

Reactions: Kjbert and Seth

The first one was was basically in Central Park!

For some reason thought the tickets would be released today. Pricing isn't too bad though was hoping for the $10 tickets. Anyone that's a Third Rail member have extra tickets?

like madison square garden. I think the one now is also like the 4th version of it. although the others were in different parts of city but same name.
Exactly!

The first two Gardens were both on Madison Square, hence the name. v3 was on 8th and 50th though, and v4 is the one we know today.

The first two were actually on Madison Avenue (and 26th). The third, and the one where it made its name, was on 50th & 8th where Worldwide Plaza is. That's where the classic Knicks and Rangers teams played, as well as most of the really big fights.

The one that exists now is, in my eyes, most famous for being such an architectural disaster that replaced such an architectural masterpiece (the old Penn Station) that it spurred the creation of the Landmark Commission in NYC.

Yes -- I love NY history!

Look at these pictures:
1638829103931.png1638829133884.png1638829192190.png

I don't think they're making a penny on these sales. The tickets are actually sold by the Timbers and they are required to allocate a certain amount at the "away day" rate, but no more than that.

$58 for a Championship game in a small stadium is the bargain of a lifetime.
Fair enough. Agreed that $58 is still fantastic for a finals game.