MLS - March 19 - Philadelphia (Home)

Ehhhh, I just watched the press conference that had these comments and didn’t think much of them.

He was asked about the rematch and he said that nycfc were the deserved champs, but they didn’t play us at our best. There’s nothing unfair about it or anything and nycfc still took care of business, are a great team, etc etc. and did mention again looking forward to Philly with a better lineup.

I didn’t for one second find his comments salty or anything. Now his postgame comments last year about “New York oil money locker room” on the other hand…
Yeah. Jim’s recent comments are very diplomatic. If we had been forced by what many feel are irrational health protocols to field an inferior team in a conference championship we’d have hard feelings about that. The union are still a bunch of whiners in my book though and I hope we give them a thorough beatdown.

Yeah. Jim’s recent comments are very diplomatic. If we had been forced by what many feel are irrational health protocols to field an inferior team in a conference championship we’d have hard feelings about that. The union are still a bunch of whiners in my book though and I hope we give them a thorough beatdown.
Yup, I think the way the team and coach have handled the actual “losing while missing so many players” ordeal has been fine.

And I’d be fine with most of the fan reaction to it as well, except for nearly everyone assuming that Philly would have won it all, discounting NYCFC’s other playoff wins, forgetting they couldn’t beat nycfc up a man (and up a goal) before, the Yankee stadium hate, etc etc.

This is why in my tweet a few days ago I made sure to say “congrats to the Philadelphia Union fans” and not “congrats to the Philadelphia Union”. Wanted to designate fans from the team

Prepare yourself for something spicy…

REF: Ted Unkel
AR1: Frank Anderson
AR2: Kathryn Nesbitt
4TH: Luis Arroyo
VAR: Jon Freemon
AVAR: Tom Supple

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: moogoo and canchon
Prepare yourself for something spicy…

REF: Ted Unkel
AR1: Frank Anderson
AR2: Kathryn Nesbitt
4TH: Luis Arroyo
VAR: Jon Freemon
AVAR: Tom Supple

giphy.gif

Ronny on the rematch with Philly after the playoff game and Curtin's "oil money comments":

"I don't think about that at all, we want to win. It's always tough when you play Philadelphia. It's a physical team, they run a lot. We are the same. It's gonna be a tough battle. We are ready to beat them again, it's what we want. We need a top performance to do that.

What's been said before, I'm sure he was not very happy after the game and it's easy to say things you are not happy about afterwards. I know how those kinds of situations are straight after a game and an important game like that and a final and lose, it's easy to be angry."

gray still out. jasson will battle with wagner (i think that's their left back). the way philly plays, i expect many many fouls on jasson.

hope fans show out tomorrow despite the rainy forecast..

i need to find my poncho...

Sorry to say that the long-sleeved inaugural season Lampard jersey has finally run out of mojo.
Also, the size of the crowd is horrendous and this club might not survive here to see a stadium built.

Sorry to say that the long-sleeved inaugural season Lampard jersey has finally run out of mojo.
Also, the size of the crowd is horrendous and this club might not survive here to see a stadium built.

That is concerning. To come back from a Championship year, in a day with nice weather against an attractive opponent and not be able to bring fans to the stadium is quite bad. What makes me feel worse about it is that this has been a consistently very good team that has no solid fanbase to speak of, whereas shitty teams like Cincy keep their loyal, suffering fans. And teams that promise to be shitty like Charlotte break attendance records. Absent some miraculous turnaround (like the USMNT making it to the final in 2026 and playing said final in a shiny new stadium in NYC) the future doesn't look promising. It breaks my heart.

Just watched the “fight” replay. I understand why Blake doesn’t like Taty grabbing the ball but that clearly was over the line for a corner and by holding on he should have had a yellow for time wasting.

Meanwhile Santi has now twice been burned by inadvertent handballs when clear on goal.

That’s all I got for this snoozer.

That is concerning. To come back from a Championship year, in a day with nice weather against an attractive opponent and not be able to bring fans to the stadium is quite bad. What makes me feel worse about it is that this has been a consistently very good team that has no solid fanbase to speak of, whereas shitty teams like Cincy keep their loyal, suffering fans. And teams that promise to be shitty like Charlotte break attendance records. Absent some miraculous turnaround (like the USMNT making it to the final in 2026 and playing said final in a shiny new stadium in NYC) the future doesn't look promising. It breaks my heart.
I was surprised at the low turnout and also disheartened. I was telling a fellow STH friend about how the sound of a Timbers home match gives me a body sensation and flashback to being there for the MLS cup. The specific acoustic print of that stadium resonates in me now.
Yankee stadium is just way too quiet especially when the team is down and needs a boost. Providence park for example has the acoustic feel of a Game of a thrones battle. The stadium felt like a lazy day in Central Park. I’m not talking about the bleacher section, I am sure they brought it.

But today made winning the Cup feel kind of wasted. As phenomenal as the fan base of NYCFC is, it’s minuscule compared to other teams.

No criticism of the team or Los Templados or Third Rail or the dedicated fan. I just wish this team had an army at home matches to be the “twelfth man”.

BTW, Unkel is poo.