MLS Week 2 - 2017

If Minnesota wanted to meticulously build the squad from bottom up instead of going full hog from day 1, I agree with that because its a smaller market than Atlanta. But they at least have to sign MLS caliber players. I did wonder since they brought back a lot of their NASL players, how they would fit in MLS.

Reactions: adam
Has anyone watched an MLS team play more attractive and effective soccer than NYCFC this year? We are all biased so this isn't the best place to ask this question, but I have watched most of the teams in the league for at least 15 minutes at a stretch and I haven't watched any team and thought "they are better than NYCFC and will definitely beat us out for the Supporters Shield".

BTW, even if we had a Champions League match on Tuesday, we never would have played as cynically as FC Dallas did this past weekend. Maybe I can be convinced Dallas is better than we are when Mauro Diaz is back, but not after that stinker of a match. Ugly ugly ugly.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
Has anyone watched an MLS team play more attractive and effective soccer than NYCFC this year? We are all biased so this isn't the best place to ask this question, but I have watched most of the teams in the league for at least 15 minutes at a stretch and I haven't watched any team and thought "they are better than NYCFC and will definitely beat us out for the Supporters Shield".

BTW, even if we had a Champions League match on Tuesday, we never would have played as cynically as FC Dallas did this past weekend. Maybe I can be convinced Dallas is better than we are when Mauro Diaz is back, but not after that stinker of a match. Ugly ugly ugly.

Tooooooo early for this but Atlanta looks good. Others I think are having slow starts such as Seattle and Toronto so that may be it. And of course RB still 2-0 but haven't seen how they play really

Tooooooo early for this but Atlanta looks good. Others I think are having slow starts such as Seattle and Toronto so that may be it. And of course RB still 2-0 but haven't seen how they play really
Of course its too early, but what else are we going to do between games. I have just seen the condensed Atlanta games and one of those was on a field covered with snow. Toronto has looked really stagnant and unimpressive. Seattle has looked good, but they don't possess the ball as cleanly as we do. The little bit of NJRB I saw wasn't that impressive.

Houston and Chicago are both much better than last year but aren't at our level of play.

Its a long season, but my first impression is that there is no reason a healthy NYCFC cant win the Supporters Shield.

Houston and Chicago look much better than last year also
They do both look much better.

And I know they have a new look and new coach this year, but I'll pause for judgement on Houston at least for a little bit. If I remember correctly, they got out to a hot start at the very beginning last year and then came crashing back down.

Reactions: Sabo and Ulrich
They do both look much better.

And I know they have a new look and new coach this year, but I'll pause for judgement on Houston at least for a little bit. If I remember correctly, they got out to a hot start at the very beginning last year and then came crashing back down.
Houston had one win in its first 8 last year. Their record was even worse than ours (we also had one win). Houston was 1W1T in the first 2 last year, which is respectable.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Houston had one win in its first 8 last year. Their record was even worse than ours (we also had one win). Houston was 1W1T in the first 2 last year, which is respectable.
I think I was thinking about how they scored a lot, and automatically translated that to better results. They scored 11 goals in their first three matches last season.

I definitely agree they (and Chicago) won't be the same dumpster fire they have been lately.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I think I was thinking about how they scored a lot, and automatically translated that to better results. They scored 11 goals in their first three matches last season.

I definitely agree they (and Chicago) won't be the same dumpster fire they have been lately.
Chicago has a very good coach. He did wonders when leading the Serbian U20 to a Cup Victory. Seems like he needed to do wholesale changes with the Fire, from team philosophy to tactics to completely overhauling the roster. He had less support to work with than Vieira, so he's a little behind, but things are clicking after three transfer windows. And he's got the biggest on-field prick marshaling his midfield, so that alone is paying dividends towards his results. I expect a very flowing game when we play them, perhaps the most "European" of overall look with two very technical and flowing styles; we could conceivably get beat at our own game.

Chicago has a very good coach. He did wonders when leading the Serbian U20 to a Cup Victory. Seems like he needed to do wholesale changes with the Fire, from team philosophy to tactics to completely overhauling the roster. He had less support to work with than Vieira, so he's a little behind, but things are clicking after three transfer windows. And he's got the biggest on-field prick marshaling his midfield, so that alone is paying dividends towards his results. I expect a very flowing game when we play them, perhaps the most "European" of overall look with two very technical and flowing styles; we could conceivably get beat at our own game.

i thought that was kljestan?

I've been pretty high on Vjelko for awhile now.

I just find it hilarious that I keep getting laughed at on reddit for saying the Fire are going to be good this year. I swear the longer term MLS fans just cannot accept that a European coach can be good over here. Europe never sent their best coaches, they were sending their rejects and criminals.

My bet is by the end of the season were going to have a narrative about how you can build a "smart" team on a budget with Chicago. And by the middle of next year Taylor Twellman will finally catch up to reality and call Vjelko good. Though that might actually be a three year project, since I don't believe that Twellman has ever directly complimented Vieria.

Its always "NYCFC has had amazing success with Vieria," or questioning Vieria's playing out of the back. Its always an oblique compliment at best.

If someone can prove me wrong please do, I'd rather not think less of Twellman as a person. I think little enough of his commentary style already. (YOU NEED TO TEACH AMERICAN AUDIENCES THE GAME TAYLOR, NOT JUST BE AN ADHD HYPE MAN)

I've been pretty high on Vjelko for awhile now.

I just find it hilarious that I keep getting laughed at on reddit for saying the Fire are going to be good this year. I swear the longer term MLS fans just cannot accept that a European coach can be good over here. Europe never sent their best coaches, they were sending their rejects and criminals.

My bet is by the end of the season were going to have a narrative about how you can build a "smart" team on a budget with Chicago. And by the middle of next year Taylor Twellman will finally catch up to reality and call Vjelko good. Though that might actually be a three year project, since I don't believe that Twellman has ever directly complimented Vieria.

Its always "NYCFC has had amazing success with Vieria," or questioning Vieria's playing out of the back. Its always an oblique compliment at best.

If someone can prove me wrong please do, I'd rather not think less of Twellman as a person. I think little enough of his commentary style already. (YOU NEED TO TEACH AMERICAN AUDIENCES THE GAME TAYLOR, NOT JUST BE AN ADHD HYPE MAN)
Your first problem is getting into disagreements on Reddit. Leave it be. :)

Twellman is version 2.0 of the Lalas/Wynalda syndrome to taking former facey players and putting a mic in front of them while listening to them be hypocritical of current players. They all suffer from understanding what a color-guy needs to do and how to do it neutrally. All of them should really be sent to Sky Sports for a 4 year internship that starts with getting coffee for the commentators, includes watching from the wings all weekend, and includes fashion tips on how to properly wear a suit and which tie works with which collar. Graduation only takes place when you drift toward being more critical/self-deprecating of you/your former team than taking pot shots at the game of the day.