Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
A lot to be excited about. We have a winning team, playing winning football and looking good doing it.
Lost the game on another misplayed ball by Mata...

Wallace 1-0

Also tons of missed opportunities. We should of put this one away 3-0 in the first half.
Jack, Ring and Maxi all missed sitters today.

Have to tip my cap to White, he played solid today.
Have to wait 2 weeks before we see them again. Going to be a long wait given the result today.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Don't understand how you can be positive with this dan (and I'm sure others). Sure it's march and there is a long way to go. Sure we had our opportunities. Butttt we still should have won. Maybe I'm old school American football but defense wins championships. We can look pretty all we want, but the back end is still scary. Maybe this makes sense, maybe it doesn't, but teams will look to exploit us at the back waiting for our one mistake. Orlando and now Montreal. 4 points dropped.

It's nice our league has playoffs so anything can happen, but supporter shield wise? I just don't see it. To many points dropped already.

A lot of positives:
  • Harrison looked great–for long passages had Oyongo on toast
  • Ring is the "silent assassin" midfielder we needed—he reads off the ball play very well and anticipates opposition intentions better than most of his counterparts in the MLS
  • Maxi keeps us ticking and helps nullify the opposition press; he is going to be an key pass/assist machine
  • Wallace's work rate and knack of being in the right place at the right time is really starting to show—he built on his performance against DC and improved some of his shortcoming against Orlando
  • We are much, much more solid with Chanot, Callens, and Johnson at the back—night and day from last season and actually leads to the expectation of chances being snuffed out, rather than the blind hope for it
  • Villa, Wallace, Harrison, and Maxi are starting to build a rapport and the goals/assists will flow as they get more comfortable with each other
A few negatives, of course:
  • Pirlo was well off today—he is usually the "get out of jail" pass but today he was "how is pop at the home", which caused problems for us
  • Mata was not bad in the first half but was woeful in the second, not only making the mistake that lead to their goal but breaking down attack after attack later on; it looked like his confidence went to bits
  • Our finishing—nothing else needs to be said there
Overall I am very encouraged and cannot wait until we really begin to gel as a unit. We could use more depth across the back line but Reyna, Vieira, and co have come a long way to fixing the mistake of the Kreis camp. We need to improve our finishing and concentration but I think we will see that as the season progresses.

Onward and upward!

Don't understand how you can be positive with this dan (and I'm sure others). Sure it's march and there is a long way to go. Sure we had our opportunities. Butttt we still should have won. Maybe I'm old school American football but defense wins championships. We can look pretty all we want, but the back end is still scary. Maybe this makes sense, maybe it doesn't, but teams will look to exploit us at the back waiting for our one mistake. Orlando and now Montreal. 4 points dropped.

It's nice our league has playoffs so anything can happen, but supporter shield wise? I just don't see it. To many points dropped already.

We let up 1 goal in two games and the problem is the defense? Chanot and Callens look great, both excellent on ball. Even White seems improved. SJ stops shots and swallows up everything that comes his way. Seriously have we seen him give up a single rebound? Not sure if they track this stat but we must be -12 keeper rebounds per game compared to last year and it's saved us a bunch of goals. The team looked great, we missed a few chances, we got unlucky which happens in soccer. If you had to complain about something I could see complaining about finishing but defense? Come on we gave up 1 goal.

Sorry mate, but it doesn't make sense. If all the opposition has is looking to exploit our one mistake a match, I think we have an outstanding defensive setup. We look much better than we did last year and, aside from Mata's mistakes, we wouldn't have conceded any goals so far.

Improve that bit and we will be well on our way to far more clean sheets than the last two years.

We let up 1 goal in two games and the problem is the defense? Chanot and Callens look great, both excellent on ball. Even White seems improved. SJ stops shots and swallows up everything that comes his way. Seriously have we seen him give up a single rebound? Not sure if they track this stat but we must be -12 keeper rebounds per game compared to last year and it's saved us a bunch of goals. The team looked great, we missed a few chances, we got unlucky which happens in soccer. If you had to complain about something I could see complaining about finishing but defense? Come on we gave up 1 goal.

But that's what teams want. You act as if giving up golden opportunities to Montreal was a good thing bc SJ made great saves? Despite possession they had plenty of possession. Go to a MTL forum and I'm sure they say they could have stole this one. Sure SJ made great stops, but the fact he had to make multiple great stops vs the best team we have played so far is concerning. He didn't have much to do vs ORL and D.C., but today? Vs a better team? They had too many chances for me. Ignoring our back line would be naive honestly. Teams will park the bus and wait for their opportunties. One game like this during the playoffs and we're cooked.

EDIT: Should say MTL had plenty of opportunities despite our possession.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, but it doesn't make sense. If all the opposition has is looking to exploit our one mistake a match, I think we have an outstanding defensive setup. We look much better than we did last year and, aside from Mata's mistakes, we wouldn't have conceded any goals so far.

Improve that bit and we will be well on our way to far more clean sheets than the last two years.

"Better then last year" is like saying RJ or T Mac are stars bc they are better then what we are use too the first 2 years like this forum has been saying. I just don't think the back line is good enough.

But that's what teams want. You act as if giving up golden opportunities to Montreal was a good thing bc SJ made great saves? Despite possession they had plenty of possession. Go to a MTL forum and I'm sure they say they could have stole this one. Sure SJ made great stops, but the fact he had to make multiple great stops vs the best team we have played so far is concerning. He didn't have much to do vs ORL and D.C., but today? Vs a better team? They had too many chances for me. Ignoring our back line would be naive honestly. Teams will park the bus and wait for their opportunties. One game like this during the playoffs and we're cooked.
Dude, we outplayed them. They got lucky/we were unlucky. Shit happens. If Ring could finish, he wouldn't be here, given the way he reads the game.

Our back line was fine. We spend $10 million a year on our whole team. We will give up chances, even against a Lincoln City.

Discount the opening game and we have 4 out of 6 points at home to start the season. I'll take that to start the season with limited training time in preseason and still limited training time so far into the season due to weather.
We look good and we're playing good and that's enough to pump the brakes and let it all come together. Felt differently after the first match but this team has shown they are much improved and have a winning formula and I'm okay with giving them time to perfect it.
Also we've looked better week after week. There's nothing to be worried about here. Mata didn't have the best game but we were literally beat by a ball that fell between him and an attacker.
Last year we had to look at the schedule and guess from which matchops we could possibly get points, not so much this year. Every game is winnable.

Last edited:
If we play like that all season, we're going to be one of the top teams in the league. Maybe THE top team in the league.

We've faced three teams so far, and none of them have been able to slow this team down, we've just beaten ourselves. The bad luck of missing those chances will turn at some point.

Ring is really going to be the most underrated player on this team. He is the engine. He creates so many turnovers in midfield and starts us on attack, makes great passes, and generally does the thing you don't see on a statsheet. He's great.

Maxi and Villa are starting to get their rapport together, those two are going to be a delight to watch.

We're going to win a hell of a lot more games than we lose this season if everyone stays healthy.