Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Maxi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ring

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Pirlo

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Finishing is a concern right now. I looked at the guys that sit next to me today and said it reminded me of the Orlando match.

We have lots of opportunities. We lack finishing right now. That's troubling. We should have 9 points and 9 goals this year.

Sean Johnson and Alex Ring look like our two best acquisitions right now.

Could Pirlo have had a more lackluster game? And that opportunity to tee it up at the top of the box and he lobs it in???

Would have subbed Wallace off sooner for Okuli. Wallace looked dead tired at the 75th.

For the last two matches, I think Matarrita has been our worst player in the field. That says a lot about how far we've come (and also how far Ethan White has come). Much better team than last year, and somehow finished #2 in the conference last year.

- Vieira said "thank you for coming" to all the people in my section before the match. Very nice of him considering the weather and the attendance.
- Mark Geiger is a fucking tool. He may not be the worst ref in MLS or CONCACAF but his mistakes are so obvious for someone who was once considered the best ref. Patrick was really, really pissed that the 1st assistant referee missed two easy offside calls because she was not in place to make the call and didn't.
- Wallace and Harrison played great but them and Villa all looked gassed around the 80th.
- Maxi Moralez is a DP. Maxi Moralez MUST finish that shot. NO FUCKING EXCUSE. That's why we didn't come away with three points.
- JLew didn't look stellar like Jack did during his debut. When he goes inside, his touch is just too far from him and a defender steals the ball.
- I'm more in the negative boat than the positive. I can't see a lot of positives since we can't finish our chances, again.

Last edited:
Reactions: roxfontaine
Dude, we outplayed them. They got lucky/we were unlucky. Shit happens. If Ring could finish, he wouldn't be here, given the way he reads the game.

Our back line was fine. We spend $10 million a year on our whole team. We will give up chances, even against a Lincoln City.

I don't post much on the forums but my friends know me as the negative Nancy. I agree everything you and Dan are saying. We're a great team, but I've seen enough Man City games from the 90s and 2000s (my dads a manc) to know going forward isn't good enough. You need to defend and I truly believe we are still not strong enough. One goal and they park the bus. MTL is behind and they started pressing that second half. We had no answer. Still lots of growing pains to go through till November.

- Maxi Moralez is a DP. Maxi Moralez MUST finish that shot. NO FUCKING EXCUSE. That's why we didn't come away with three points.

This. He was wide open inside the 18 and needs to put that away. Game is over if he does. Montreal is the BEST in MLS at finishing chances against the run of play - I knew that they were going to get one (especially after Piatti missed at the end of the first half). 2 goals were needed to win this game.

You think Giovinco or Lodeiro are missing that? No way. A DP needs to finish that.

Also, now we know why Ring is not in the Bundesliga. Can't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

- I'm more in the negative boat than the positive. I can't see a lot of positives since we can't finish our chances, again.

Agree with you on Maxi -- that needs to be a goal. Needs to be. But that said, whether you finish or don't finish, there's a lot of luck in that. It's kind of like shooting percentage in hockey -- at some point, a team's luck is going to change over the full season and will even out. That's why, especially this early in the season, you have to look at the process just as much as the results. Frankly, the process on this team is really, really good right now. There's a lot of good stuff happening here.

TMac come in and makes our team worse, they didn't even have to man mark him. The guy is simply not athletic enough for what we are trying to accomplish, his touch is fine, his body is not.

One very encouraging thing about this game is that while Montreal was successful in forcing us to mostly play from the wings we still looked dangerous. Of course people are comparing it to the Orlando game but our chances this game were far better.

Maxi continues to puzzle me a little bit. He does seem to interact well with Villa and the players in front of him, but he really seems to lack awareness about who might be near to him "horizontally" or especially behind. He had at least two errant side/back passes today, just as against DC.

Possibly Harrison's best game for us, though they did do a better job bottling him up in the second half. He showed he can be dangerous either cutting inside or going to the endline, and it takes (at least) two defenders to take both of those away.

That was a genuinely bad performance from Pirlo - who I have defended in our last two games - that could have been even worse had he not received some protection from the ref.

I really like Wallace. He wasn't making the slightly rash challenges this game that had me a little concerned previously. If I had a complaint it might be that he could be a little more selfish when it comes to shooting.

Reactions: gbservis
ONce ring figures out how to finish, we're going to be so money. We're going to finish most of those chances than we aren't. Jack in the 3rd minute, Ring near the 20th, Maxi in the second half. We should have easily had 3-4 goals. Hopefully we'll be much better in the warmer weather.

I have to say, though, for as much shit as we get for playing in a sand box stadium, we are very skillful, beautiful and fluid when we really have no right to be. You hear that we ruin the game with the small pitch, but holy shit we find a way to make it look good.

Also tons of missed opportunities. We should of put this one away 3-0 in the first half.
Jack, Ring and Maxi all missed sitters today.
This should be the the entirety of this thread. Montreal righted the ship in the second half, but didn't have nearly as many - nor as dangerous - chances. They snatched a road point and fair play to them.

That game leaves me high on frustration but low on concern.

With that said, I don't care who he is, Pirlo should be instructed that he needs to take clear shots during the run of play. He is passing up shots that historically fell exactly within the Pirlo Zone. And he also should be instructed to no longer participate in set pieces. The sample size is immense and offers a very clear picture. Clear shots during the run of play, yes. Anything after a whistle, no.

- Vieira said "thank you for coming" to all the people in my section before the match. Very nice of him considering the weather and the attendance.
- Mark Geiger is a fucking tool. He may not be the worst ref in MLS or CONCACAF but his mistakes are so obvious for someone who was once considered the best ref. Patrick was really, really pissed that the 1st assistant referee missed two easy offside calls because she was not in place to make the call and didn't.
- Wallace and Harrison played great but them and Villa all looked gassed around the 80th.
- JLew didn't look stellar like Jack did during his debut. When he goes inside, his touch is just too far from him and a defender steals the ball.
You realize that Villa is also a DP and he missed the chip shot on the sliding keeper?

Eh, you can't win em all.

Definitely a lot of positives in terms of how the team is coming together and the overall improvement in defence. As people have already said, Pirlo was not at the races today - I might have taken him off as the first sub.

Good finish from Dave for a second of the season and on another day we might just have sneaked it. But, oh well.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Well the positive is we still suck in the beginning of the season... we're not close to being a finished product but this team is dangerous going forward. That being said we can't give away points.

Reactions: kkushalbeatzz
You realize that Villa is also a DP and he missed the chip shot on the sliding keeper?

Maxi inside the 18 straight on vs the keeper with space > David going for a chip shot

Gabriel Jesus was in the building today on crutches. He could have finished that.

Reactions: canchon and The Toe