NE Postmatch

lol I can't stop laughing at Shelton on Villa's goal... what a clown
giphy.gif
My buddy and I both thought Shelton was boxing out his defender for it to get to Villa. The way he turned his body with his arms spread into the defender was a classic basketball boxout.

For the first 45, we deserved a boring tie. For the next 30 we were losing but didn't deserve to be (still boring as shit), for the last 20min we created a lot of opportunities (albeit with only a few shots on goal) and we clearly outplayed NE. The first 75 was a stalemate but then we deserved the win. Not pretty, but it's a win.

Every time we go with 4 spread in the front, the other team can't defend it and we get goo looks. Villa drift left in the formation and he had a ton more space to receive passes and take defenders on for his cut in/patented right footed shot. He really is better there than dead center. I'm not advocating starting a game in a 334, but could be very valuable to go to it with the first sub. And with the way Brillant was spraying passes cross field to the left to Villa, it may be an apt formation to attack Toronto with (out man their back three and bypass the middle 5)???

One of the negatives of Yankee Stadium is the seating configuration on that side of the field. My friends told me that they thought the stadium was going to break the fans went crazy after JLew's goal, but you don't really get to see the crowd reaction on the tv angles. Does anyone have any personal videos from that goal? Or see a better fan shot?

Reactions: Kjbert
For the first 45, we deserved a boring tie. For the next 30 we were losing but didn't deserve to be (still boring as shit), for the last 20min we created a lot of opportunities (albeit with only a few shots on goal) and we clearly outplayed NE. The first 75 was a stalemate but then we deserved the win. Not pretty, but it's a win.

Every time we go with 4 spread in the front, the other team can't defend it and we get goo looks. Villa drift left in the formation and he had a ton more space to receive passes and take defenders on for his cut in/patented right footed shot. He really is better there than dead center. I'm not advocating starting a game in a 334, but could be very valuable to go to it with the first sub. And with the way Brillant was spraying passes cross field to the left to Villa, it may be an apt formation to attack Toronto with (out man their back three and bypass the middle 5)???

I agree. When people say "we didn't deserve to win" they seem not to realize that, short of a tie, somebody has to win. We clearly did more than NE and had a few crappy chances at least. They had none. If the difference is somewhat clear, even with two teams playing really bad, and one of them (ours) quite disappointing vis a vis individual quality, well, the team that creates the few chances deserves the W.

Agree that it was a pretty boring game - the players seemed tired/distracted/not giving 100%. (I put this down to an emotionally exhausting racist week in America, but who knows).

Harrison was not great, but replaced by an empty slot on the field; Villa was tightly marked and his passes weren't coming off, good on him for persisting as he does and getting the goal though.

Ben Sweat was MOTM for me, because on a night when so many players were getting yelled at for walking, not following up after losing the ball, not stepping up that little bit, he did his same thing of bounding up the wing, putting the leg out to win the ball back/deflect it after losing it, trying little pieces of skill and had a hand in two goals.

Also, damn that goal coming so late - I assumed it was going to finish 1-1, so finished the last of my beer just before, so no beer for throwing around in celebration :(

EDIT: OH! Agreeing with the bad officiating too - wtf is up with Geiger... The play acting and falling around from the NE players, he fell for it every time. And what seemed like very bizarre yellow cards for us... #geigerout

Ben Sweat will be taking Jonathan Lewis out to dinner for saving his crap shot that turned into a wild pass for a goal. Fortunate for Sweat and his league minimum salary, Lewis won't get to order a nice expensive bottle of wine.

I think however the Ugo shot over the bar was a huge miss. He was two feet farther from goal than Villa's goals. He was wide open and you should side foot it with it clear into net as the keeper was on the wrong angle. But he struck it over the bar.
If I find some time, I may go back and look at his "assists" to see what was really there, because you know some MLS "experts" are going to start calling for him to come up to the USMNT just like some were last year for RJ and TMac.
  • Assist last night, missed shot so poorly falls to JLew's feet
  • Assist to JLew against LAG. Passes it to him, JLew dribbles for 30 seconds from nearly midfield and floats a shot in.
  • Assist to Callens against Minnesota - actually have to give him props for the run into the box, great run, but then he just loses the ball and thankfully Callens is there to put it in

A couple quick notes that haven't been brought up. The touch that Villa had to bring down the cross from RJ that ended up leading to the JLew goal was phenomenal. Then the touch that JLew had to settle the "pass" from Sweat was great. Then the quick trigger and blast that followed was not something I expected out of a 19 year old rookie.

Lot of shitting on Geiger and for good reason, but I do want to go back and re-emphasize the point made by LionNYC LionNYC Why did it take so long for that yellow to be issued to Yangel? It took forever and I honestly feel as though he was fed other information potentially from VAR that led to it, and that should not happen.

did I get into a verbal altercation with a fellow NYCFC fan? yes, yes I did

this aggro fuck (complete with sunglasses at 8pm) was screaming, cursing, and taunting a NE fan that was in our section (132) for no reason - the dude and his friends were not a problem the entire time and even kept their celebration when NE scored to a minimum (literally a single whoop and maybe two claps) - I chatted with them before at halftime and they were down to earth

then cue this douche cruise (because a douche canoe cannot possibly contain his amount of douchiness) after NYC took the lead - he was simply going too far and beating his chest like a drunken gorilla, hands-outstretched yelling "this is New York City motherfucker, fuck you, NYC, fuck Boston" etc (I didn't catch everything he said) - so I told him to "calm the fuck down, relax, it's just a game" etc - to which he turned on me, pointed, and started yelling over and over "fuck you!" - eventually Securitas came and asked me to stop and went down to tell the guy the same

he started to leave before the final whistle and stood at the top of the section and kept digging into the NE fans until two Securitas started giving him a hard time so naturally, he started in with them saying nice things like "I pay for you" while holding his season ticket badge - they eventually walked away with him, but not sure if he was ejected or what

I normally don't get involved in this kind of shit, but this guy was an embarrassment and the fact that he's a STH bothers me even more - now I know what he said wasn't that bad, but the way he said it was in a threatening manner and it was unprovoked - and yes, I understand this is sports and sometimes it's fun to give the other team a hard time, but banter is one thing - this was another

[ end rant ]

did I get into a verbal altercation with a fellow NYCFC fan? yes, yes I did

this aggro fuck (complete with sunglasses at 8pm) was screaming, cursing, and taunting a NE fan that was in our section (132) for no reason - the dude and his friends were not a problem the entire time and even kept their celebration when NE scored to a minimum (literally a single whoop and maybe two claps) - I chatted with them before at halftime and they were down to earth

then cue this douche cruise (because a douche canoe cannot possibly contain his amount of douchiness) after NYC took the lead - he was simply going too far and beating his chest like a drunken gorilla, hands-outstretched yelling "this is New York City motherfucker, fuck you, NYC, fuck Boston" etc (I didn't catch everything he said) - so I told him to "calm the fuck down, relax, it's just a game" etc - to which he turned on me, pointed, and started yelling over and over "fuck you!" - eventually Securitas came and asked me to stop and went down to tell the guy the same

he started to leave before the final whistle and stood at the top of the section and kept digging into the NE fans until two Securitas started giving him a hard time so naturally, he started in with them saying nice things like "I pay for you" while holding his season ticket badge - they eventually walked away with him, but not sure if he was ejected or what

I normally don't get involved in this kind of shit, but this guy was an embarrassment and the fact that he's a STH bothers me even more - now I know what he said wasn't that bad, but the way he said it was in a threatening manner and it was unprovoked - and yes, I understand this is sports and sometimes it's fun to give the other team a hard time, but banter is one thing - this was another

[ end rant ]
I'm glad you called him out. That kind of nonsense has no place in our stadiums. I love banter between opposing fans, but there's never any reason to make it personal, attack someone, or use unnecessary vulgar language (I really only support clever vulgar language).

There will always be people like this, and every team has them, but its good to call them out on it.

Ben Sweat was MOTM for me, because on a night when so many players were getting yelled at for walking, not following up after losing the ball, not stepping up that little bit, he did his same thing of bounding up the wing, putting the leg out to win the ball back/deflect it after losing it, trying little pieces of skill and had a hand in two goals.

Sweat received a lot of information from Vieira during the course of the game on the sideline to communicate with the backline. Since he's the guy closest to the sideline (and well, is fluent in English) he's the best guy to do this. But yes, he was on his game yesterday.
Lot of shitting on Geiger and for good reason, but I do want to go back and re-emphasize the point made by LionNYC LionNYC Why did it take so long for that yellow to be issued to Yangel? It took forever and I honestly feel as though he was fed other information potentially from VAR that led to it, and that should not happen.

So there are two possible points here of consideration, both hypothetical without the facts of the case. One, Geiger is looking out for the safety of the New England player and make sure he's okay and gets medical attention. He walked away from the player when they were checking him out yet did not give Herrera a yellow card at this time. Only after the player left the field did Herrera get a yellow card. So the timing on this point is odd.

Two, the VAR checked the "foul" on Herrera to see if it was red card worthy which is one of the four checks that the VAR can do. The VAR said no it was not a red, but possibly worthy of the yellow. Geiger did no go to the screen to look at him himself but heard what the VAR saw and remembered what he saw and gave Herrera a yellow. Really questionable and an odd sequence of events. Any now anytime someone is accidentally slapped in the face, there will be a concussion check.

Sweat received a lot of information from Vieira during the course of the game on the sideline to communicate with the backline. Since he's the guy closest to the sideline (and well, is fluent in English) he's the best guy to do this. But yes, he was on his game yesterday.

So there are two possible points here of consideration, both hypothetical without the facts of the case. One, Geiger is looking out for the safety of the New England player and make sure he's okay and gets medical attention. He walked away from the player when they were checking him out yet did not give Herrera a yellow card at this time. Only after the player left the field did Herrera get a yellow card. So the timing on this point is odd.

Two, the VAR checked the "foul" on Herrera to see if it was red card worthy which is one of the four checks that the VAR can do. The VAR said no it was not a red, but possibly worthy of the yellow. Geiger did no go to the screen to look at him himself but heard what the VAR saw and remembered what he saw and gave Herrera a yellow. Really questionable and an odd sequence of events. Any now anytime someone is accidentally slapped in the face, there will be a concussion check.
There shouldn't have even been a yellow on that. Hererra cleanly goes up for the header, while Fagundez doesn't, and Fagundez is hunched over in an unnatural position while Hererra is facing the other direction with his hands down. It's unfortunate that contact was made, but this is so vastly different from a player "protecting" themselves on a header with elbows out.

MLS and Pro need to get their shit together. If Maxi doesn't draw a yellow every time his Achilles gets deliberately whacked, then there's no reason an unintentional pat on the head should be called. If Hererra really wanted to hit Fagundez, his orbital socket would be in pieces.

And Sweat technically passed the ball to Villa for his goal but it went through like 4 players so it was not counted as an assist.

Reactions: Kjbert

Sweat is best when he plays within his abilities and doesn't try to do anything extra. He's a serviceable back up but it goes south for him when he starts believing he can dribble through people or do back heel flicks. It gets worse when he starts not tracking back as if he's some type of offensive juggernaut that can't be bothered to play D. Each game he's improved in these areas and it has to be attributed to PV in the coaching staff. The coaching staff appears to be very good at defining roles for players and teaching them to play within them.

The same influence is apparent with Mikey as well. The guy has the skills of a $6ok a year backup and it was difficult to see him stunt the start of the offense last night but you can tell he has a very simplified role and he been coached to stay within it. Discipline is something I'd never have expected Lopez to be capable of but he's done it this year. We shouldn't be in the position of needing to start him but that's the front offices fault, PV should get some credit for mitigating the disaster that should result from having to play Mikey as your holding defensive mid.

I think Jack Harrison isn't only going through tired legs but a tired head. After the Red Bull game, there's the international break so he'll get a well needed rest.

There was a 2 v 1 fast break and Jack should have passed to Mikey Lopez who was clear on goal but waited too long and the defender stopped the attack.