NYCFC Confirm Departure of PV. Nice Confirm Arrival of PV as Manager.

This is more evidence of a swoop in by CFG to retain PV, for example Patrick meets with Nice, even goes to France to keep talks going...then CFG (maybe even Mubarak) comes in and says “Patrick, I get you want the job, but here’s our plan for you with us” - and basically lays out the plan for him to take over for Pep, as well as giving him a blank check/choice of jobs within CFG when this contract ends.

Then CFG says, ok? In order to do this, you come out and shut down any of this Nice talk. Keyser Soze it. You’re with us.
What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't this conversation happen before this situation happened? Last season, teams had legit interest in PV and you would think that with the European season over that any competent front office type should have been able to foresee this happening again.

What doesn't make sense to me is why doesn't this conversation happen before this situation happened? Last season, teams had legit interest in PV and you would think that with the European season over that any competent front office type should have been able to foresee this happening again.
It's like the Jack situation. See what the market is like then swoop in and salvage the situation. They probably recorded the Khaldoon clip ages ago, with all the lines about how much CFG supported him and how much of a future he had with them, etc.

It's a far fetched conspiracy theory, but if they can be that underhanded and long-view, then it increases the likelihood of us winning something, so it's a conspiracy theory I'm happy to deposit my hopes in.

Here's the other similarity between Zidane and PV - the Clubs themselves are the recruitment tool - not the manager.

Whose to say they didn't. I'm willing to believe anything (and nothing) at this point. My best guess is that PV really wanted to know where he stands in the CFG hierarchy vis a vis Arteta, but that's simply a guess.

I think the possibility of Man City promoting either Arteta or Vieira after Pep leaves is realistic. There is an expectation that a club of that stature will select from a small group of established manager/coaches with a body of work and a record of winning at the same level. But, that is an extremely small pool to choose from, and when one coach leaves or is fired, those big clubs often have limited options as many of those candidates already have jobs where they are happy. Which is one reason why sometimes such clubs have to hire a Zidane, or Pep (at Barcelona), just to open up the field.

But CFG has a further problem, in that as an organization they are committed to a specific style of play, and if they limit Man City to world class, established coaches who have won trophies and are both capable and want to coach to that style, that's a tiny, tiny reserve.

So they are growing them in-house.

Last edited:
FWIW, rumors that Ernie Stewart is the front runner for the USMNT GM job, not Claudio. (Does that have its own thread?)

still not sure what this GM position is exactly supposed to do....and if earnie stewart makes decisions like in Union...lol oh man. though to be fair to him i think its more the union ownership being more the problem

Reactions: Kjbert
I think the possibility of Man City promoting either Arteta or Vieira after Pep leaves is realistic. There is an expectation that a club of that stature will select from a small group of established manager/coaches with a body of work and a record of winning at the same level. But, that is an extremely small pool to choose from, and when one coach leaves or is fired, those big clubs often have limited options as many of those candidates already have jobs where they are happy. Which is one reason why sometimes such clubs have to hire a Zidane, or Pep (at Barcelona), just to open up the field.

But CFG has a further problem, in that as an organization they are committed to a specific style of play, and if they limit Man City to world class, established coaches who have won trophies and are both capable and want to coach to that style, that's a tiny, tiny reserve.

So they are growing them in-house.

There is some interesting discussion on this Man City thread how it will play out: https://old.reddit.com/r/MCFC/comments/8lihl3/arteta_to_stay/

I think if Arteta want to be a manager, he should go to Girona. Vieira stays at NYCFC. Whoever after Pep leaves is best to manage Man City gets the job. With the other hopefully staying within the City family.

Last edited:
This is more evidence of a swoop in by CFG to retain PV, for example Patrick meets with Nice, even goes to France to keep talks going...then CFG (maybe even Mubarak) comes in and says “Patrick, I get you want the job, but here’s our plan for you with us” - and basically lays out the plan for him to take over for Pep, as well as giving him a blank check/choice of jobs within CFG when this contract ends.

Then CFG says, ok? In order to do this, you come out and shut down any of this Nice talk. Keyser Soze it. You’re with us.

Motion to make this a full-time contract negotiation fanfic thread. The more Sorkin hallway tracking shot dialogue the better.

still not sure what this GM position is exactly supposed to do....and if earnie stewart makes decisions like in Union...lol oh man. though to be fair to him i think its more the union ownership being more the problem
I would imagine that the manager would pick the players and the tactics. GM hires the manager and oversees the youth system. Federation president picks the GM and runs the business aspects of US Soccer.

I would imagine that the manager would pick the players and the tactics. GM hires the manager and oversees the youth system. Federation president picks the GM and runs the business aspects of US Soccer.
I'd assume that to be the case, but I envision a major power struggle ensuing once all persons are in place, possibly sinking our next cycle with even more turmoil. Hopefully they get the right parties in place and they operate smoothly.

I'd assume that to be the case, but I envision a major power struggle ensuing once all persons are in place, possibly sinking our next cycle with even more turmoil. Hopefully they get the right parties in place and they operate smoothly.

It's really not clear, and apparently the initial job description wasn't fulsome enough to attract good candidates.

What derek_villa described is the Technical Director job that already exists (kind of). I think the GM job was supposed to be more of a day-to-day manager of the program so that the President is not full time. That could/would also include things like running the business side of the Federation as well as the soccer side.

Remember that the President is unpaid and was originally a Chairman of the Board type. We had years of Sunil Gulati getting involved in the everyday minutiae of the Federation. Whatever you think of how his tenure ended, that was probably a good thing. There are stories of him literally driving equipment around in the early days, and he did tons of work and grew the Federation and the sport for no compensation. Meanwhile, he had a full time job as an economics professor at Columbia.

When Cordeiro ran, he was the leading proponent of hiring a full time GM to do the kind of day-to-day work that Gulati had been doing and making the President's role more about oversight and setting goals. That's a good approach. The job had become too big for the President to do everything, much less on an unpaid basis.

That said, the first job of the new President is to set up and define this job and get someone to take it - and so far that's not really been happening.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
Teams, including our own, separate their business and sporting sides fine all the time. Like you said, if you get the right people it will work fine.

2 thoughts.

The original ida of GM was an all encompassing role where they were involved in the selection of a manager, involved in scouting and involved in recruitment. Essentially what Mexico has.

Since the USSF election at least two candidates that I know of have come out and said that Cordeiro has watered down the role and they weren't interested (Lagerway and a former NT guy - I forget which one). If they're right, that's too bad and it sucks.

Now - Earnie Stewart would be s good choice. I can get behind that. He was good in Holland. I live in Philly. The problems with the union have NOTHING to do with Earnie or Jim Curtain. Their owners can't compete in MLS. It's very simple.

If CFG want Vieira to manage Man City at any point in the next 10 years, it doesn't matter whether he's managing New York, Nice or Nairobi - he's taking the job if it's offered. This move changes nothing.

If that's the long term plan, there's no incentive for CFG to keep him 'in the family', unless they either think it's better for his development to stay here (narrator: they don't), or they care enough about our immediate term future enough to block an upward move (they don't).

Reactions: Kjbert and dummyrun