Nycfc In Talks Kv Oostende For Defender Frédéric Brillant.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

So he's been a consistent starter every year until this one. Why the change? Did he dip? Or did the team upgrade talent/get younger?

No yellow/red card history to be concerned with.

A goal every 11 games or so. (With that, he alone would triple the goal output of our whole defensive line.)
Team has been upgrading slowly, they're pushing for a good finish since they're fourth now after being mid table the last few years so they're bringing in better players to help.

Good to see more noise around filling the CB hole. KV Oostende is, I'm pretty sure, a less prestigious team than Standard Liege, where Teixeira was from. Not sure that means anything, but its the best I can come up with about a player we haven't heard of in a league none of us get to watch!

Reactions: Kjbert
Not sure if anyone noticed this, or if this update happened after people already read the article. Looks likely to be a loan rather than a buy.

"(Update) A source close to the talks has said, there is a possibility the move would be a loan to NYCFC instead of an outright purchase. Brillant is currently under contract until June 30, 2017, with Oostende having an option for an additional year."

Reactions: Kjbert and NYCFCfan
Not sure if anyone noticed this, or if this update happened after people already read the article. Looks likely to be a loan rather than a buy.

"(Update) A source close to the talks has said, there is a possibility the move would be a loan to NYCFC instead of an outright purchase. Brillant is currently under contract until June 30, 2017, with Oostende having an option for an additional year."
I actually kind of like this approach when bringing in international players. I suspect that, even for the front office, it is hard to project how performing in the Belgian league will translate into performing in MLS. Plus, you add on top of that, off the field considerations in terms of settling in a new country. Therefore, in a league where financial resources are a scarce commodity, some risk mitigation is a good idea. Of course, if he is a smashing success, we'll wish we bought at the outset, but a lot of managing the cap here is avoiding mistakes.

I actually kind of like this approach when bringing in international players. I suspect that, even for the front office, it is hard to project how performing in the Belgian league will translate into performing in MLS. Plus, you add on top of that, off the field considerations in terms of settling in a new country. Therefore, in a league where financial resources are a scarce commodity, some risk mitigation is a good idea. Of course, if he is a smashing success, we'll wish we bought at the outset, but a lot of managing the cap here is avoiding mistakes.
Or a potential loan with option to buy. Not sure how much the option would add on from a fees standpoint (I'm guessing the transfer fee would be slightly more if loan then exercise buy option vs just buy), but it does allow us to really get a good sense of his talent level, instead of making a mistake like we did on Nemec last year.

Which, on another note, we really lucked out that he also wanted out, saved us a lot of cap space for this year without having to buy out his contract.

So he's been a consistent starter every year until this one. Why the change? Did he dip? Or did the team upgrade talent/get younger?

No yellow/red card history to be concerned with.

A goal every 11 games or so. (With that, he alone would triple the goal output of our whole defensive line.)
Likely they just upgraded their own roster and for whatever reason the other guy got the minutes (better skill, injury, etc). Hard to play an entire career for one team.

Great name this lad has, sign him up based on that.

Can you imagine the shouts if he makes a mistake "Brilliant! That's fuckin terrible!"

ETA: I know I misread his name, but I think the name Brilliant is better. Also, shut up.

Last edited:
Also found this^^

FootyLovin FootyLovin Could be an injury too, but I have no idea. I don't have any knowledge of the French, Belgian, or Dutch language haha but I'm sure someone will find something in the confines of the Belgian interwebs
As always, I appreciate the highlight video and am also left wondering, "How good does the highlight video look for a player like Jason Hernandez?" Highlight videos don't tend to show the time the guy was pwned or out of position or passed straight to the opposition or own goaled.

Whether or not we sign him I do think we will be adding depth there.
This would be the case if Kreis was here as well. That was clearly an issue last year and doesn't take a dummy to fix it.