NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2021

As much as I like Chanot, I think we really need to start looking at another great-calibre defensive partner for Callens.
Callens was the next to move on under Claudio. The team, David Lee included, LOVE Chanot. They’re kind of eh on Callens. Would replace him if the right deal was made available.

Callens was the next to move on under Claudio. The team, David Lee included, LOVE Chanot. They’re kind of eh on Callens. Would replace him if the right deal was made available.

just curious. how do you know this information?

The news a short while back that Chanot was named assistant coach to one of the youth /academy teams or something was a clear sign he is liked here and the club and maybe even CFG see him having a long term future in the organization. I'm nonetheless surprised to hear he is apparently thought of more highly than Callens based on current CB performance. They seem pretty even to me except Chanot has more WTF moments.

The news a short while back that Chanot was named assistant coach to one of the youth /academy teams or something was a clear sign he is liked here and the club and maybe even CFG see him having a long term future in the organization. I'm nonetheless surprised to hear he is apparently thought of more highly than Callens based on current CB performance. They seem pretty even to me except Chanot has more WTF moments.

just want chanot to stop doing his blind headed passes back to johnson. i bet if someone tried hard enough, they could do a compilation video of them... which is not a good thing.

Reactions: Kjbert
Is this the first time that Michael Kay has spoken about NYCFC? "The MLS" "The NYCFC" "The Derby" "Deila". These guys should have been more prepared. They talk better about Ted Lasso than NYCFC.
Nope, Claudio spoke about playing soccer at Yankee Stadium in 2014. And Ian Joy did a segment in October 2018.

Holy shit at 6:10 when Michael Kay gives some advice to Claudio Reyna, "Just listen to Randy Levine." And earlier in the broadcast NYCFC would play 3 seasons at Yankee Stadium. The foreshadowing here. My word.

Reactions: Kjbert and JCMore
So, once every 3-4 years.

Michael Kay strikes me as an old school alpha sports fan, who loves everything else but hates soccer. Maybe I'm wrong - I hope so - but he certainly hasn't gone out of his way to pay attention to the Yankees' cousin in light blue.

Reactions: Kjbert
So, once every 3-4 years.
No it’s come up more than that. I listen to Kay maybe 5-10 hours a year total, so really not much, and have heard at least a couple of (admittedly brief) NYCFC segments in the last 5-6 years. His show is simulcast by YES and I think they encourage it.
On your other point, I think you’re right about his level of interest, but he’s too gracious to be obvious or obnoxious about it. Far better than Francesca or Russo.

Last edited: