NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2022

Taylor Twellman is terrific on the latest Blue City Radio podcast. Great job by everyone.
Is there a problem with the episode on Apple Podcasts? It starts in the middle of a conversation/ interview with some unidentified person - could be Brad Sims but they don't say - and it's all about stadium issues. The first words are "At the same time..." then it just keeps going on. It sounds like they uploaded the wrong interview or something, and not even from the beginning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Is there a problem with the episode on Apple Podcasts? It starts in the middle of a conversation/ interview with some unidentified person - could be Brad Sims but they don't say - and it's all about stadium issues. The first words are "At the same time..." then it just keeps going on. It sounds like they uploaded the wrong interview or something, and not even from the beginning.
No, I don't think so. They always begin their episode with some form of "other audio", usually it being from a game or something. This time they just led off with Abramowitz's interview with Sims on stadium related items in relation to CCL (I think from 2020).

I had the same issue that it started mid sentence. But I skipped ahead in any event to the TT part which started further in.

No, I don't think so. They always begin their episode with some form of "other audio", usually it being from a game or something. This time they just led off with Abramowitz's interview with Sims on stadium related items in relation to CCL (I think from 2020).
I had the same issue that it started mid sentence. But I skipped ahead in any event to the TT part which started further in.
Thanks. That's kind of weird. I can see opening with a recent player or coach soundbite. But roughly 2 full minutes of a different interview? And it was about stadiums. Twellman is a former player and current broadcaster. Sure, he can have a stadium opinion but it's not really his thing. I'm expecting to hear about MLS Cup, the new season, some general MLS discussion, and roster stuff. Instead there's a discussion about West Point and CCL regs and WTF does Twellman know about that?.

Last month on vacation our rental car spontaneously started playing NPR on the radio and we could not figure out how to turn it off or change the station. They were discussing FEMA flood plain maps and it was the most boring and frustrating thing because it made so sense and we couldn't figure it out and the radio controls (we eventually figured out) for some reason were in the space between the front seats next to the drive change. This was almost as bad. This is why I don't do podcasts. How long am I supposed to listen before the damn show starts? Why do they all think I want my time wasted with long openings and shit like this? And yes, I could skip ahead, but how long? Maybe after listening to 45 second of irrelevant stuff they end it as abruptly as they began it so if I hit the jump ahead button I just have to rewind and FTS. Why make me guess? Start with "Hi. Today we welcome Tyler Twellman" and get on with it.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's kind of weird. I can see opening with a recent player or coach soundbite. But roughly 2 full minutes of a different interview? And it was about stadiums. Twellman is a former player and current broadcaster. Sure, he can have a stadium opinion but it's not really his thing. I'm expecting to hear about MLS Cup, the new season, some general MLS discussion, and roster stuff. Instead there's a discussion about West Point and CCL regs and WTF does Twellman know about that?.

Last month on vacation our rental car spontaneously started playing NPR on the radio and we could not figure out how to turn it off or change the station. They were discussing FEMA flood plain maps and it was the most boring and frustrating thing because it made so sense and we couldn't figure it out and the radio controls (we eventually figured out) for some reason were in the space between the front seats next to the gear change. This was almost as bad. This is why I don't do podcasts. How long am I supposed to listen before the damn show starts? Why do they all think I want my time wasted with long openings and shit like this? Start with "Hi. Today we welcome Tyler Twellman" and get on with it.
This was the first time I listened to this podcast, and only to hear TT as I generally don’t have patience to sit through podcasts. As soon as I couldn’t figure out the intro, and then heard small talk between the hosts I skipped until I could pinpoint TT. He was great and touched upon many of the topics we have bantered about on here and added interesting insight. And I thought the hosts managed the interview well. I really enjoyed it.

This was the first time I listened to this podcast, and only to hear TT as I generally don’t have patience to sit through podcasts. As soon as I couldn’t figure out the intro, and then heard small talk between the hosts I skipped until I could pinpoint TT. He was great and touched upon many of the topics we have bantered about on here and added interesting insight. And I thought the hosts managed the interview well. I really enjoyed it.
I overcame my anti-podcast bias to try listening to this because of your recommendation, and it still holds because obviously this weird opening thing is irrelevant to the quality of the interview itself and I know it's probably a good interview. But my id is just "F#ck those podcast guys, that was annoying." I honestly listened longer than I thought it deserved while thinking it was a mistake, and spent time checking the episode notes and downloaded the prior episode to see if there was some mix up. Then I gave up, and to learn it was some intentional choice just grates.

I'm not really rational about the whole podcast thing.

Last edited:
Belated follow up. I went back and found the start of the Twellman interview and listened, and it was, in fact, good. TT's ideas about MLS salary rule reform are interesting, though I'm not sold on many of them. And I have to call out his mistake about Taty. Like so many, Tyler let his Taty narrative solidify midseason. The xNumbers do not say Taty should have scored 30 goals (as TT claimed). By season end he scored almost exactly what he should have, because he was exactly as clinical/lucky in the second half as he was sloppy/unlucky in the first half.

Belated follow up. I went back and found the start of the Twellman interview and listened, and it was, in fact, good. TT's ideas about MLS salary rule reform are interesting, though I'm not sold on many of them. And I have to call out his mistake about Taty. Like so many, Tyler let his Taty narrative solidify midseason. The xNumbers do not say Taty should have scored 30 goals (as TT claimed). By season end he scored almost exactly what he should have, because he was exactly as clinical/lucky in the second half as he was sloppy/unlucky in the first half.
I like Twellman, but not as much as Twellman likes hyperbole.

This is almost as random as the little kid wearing the hypnokit in the audience of the Aziz Ansari Netlfix comedy special.
That guy and his hat will be on the halftime show for Super Bowl LXXXVI, and Gen Z will argue with Gen Alpha over who is more entitled to the nostalgia ownership.

This is almost as random as the little kid wearing the hypnokit in the audience of the Aziz Ansari Netlfix comedy special.
I'm forgetting my NYCFC culture here. What special was this?