NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

How about playing a 4-3-3 like Pep does with two #10s next year? You have depth wide left. You need competition for Jack on the right.

Still not thrilled with Maxi.

I'm all for talented, lesser known South Americans if it makes the team better. But another DP entering the downswing of his career at age 33? Ugh.

I assume this would either push Maxi wide, or Torres would start over Ring or Herrera (if still with the team).

I agree. If we're going that old, just give us Yaya. But I would hope that's just a plan F and we have a whole list of younger targets we're also pursuing.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm all for talented, lesser known South Americans if it makes the team better. But another DP entering the downswing of his career at age 33? Ugh.

I assume this would either push Maxi wide, or Torres would start over Ring or Herrera (if still with the team).
He's played with the Colombian national team earlier this year and has been key to Atletico's Copa Libertadores run, I wouldn't exactly say he's in the downswing of his career.

Though IDK what happens to Maxi if he arrives.

Maxi has been underwhelming.
This Torres news is not welcome.

I would be shocked if there was anything more than smoke here, but I've been disappointed before.

He's played with the Colombian national team earlier this year and has been key to Atletico's Copa Libertadores run, I wouldn't exactly say he's in the downswing of his career.

I'm with NYCFC Fan on this one. I saw the Colombian NT play away against Peru in Lima a few weeks ago, and they are solid solid solid. Loaded with talent. Anybody in that group, even a bench warmer, is a very good player. I don't think it would be the most ambitious signing ever, and CFG could and should do better, especially considering his age, but I'm sure he would be a good player.

Again, I welcome him on his talent. But he's not going to be getting better year-to-year, he'll be slowing down.

I don't like the formation, but our projected pieces would actually fit really well into the W-M.

F | Wallace, Villa, Harrison
AM| Maxi, Torres
DM | Ring, Herrera
D | Callens, Chanot, White

A replacement for White and Wallace would be welcome, or maybe Matarrita is Wallace's replacement.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Wrong Torres, Claudio.

I want Fernando Torres. Or give me S A M I K H E D I R A

Sami Khedira had a beast game the other day. Juve played down a man early and he had a hat trick. He is everything we need. It would be like Ring all of a sudden got 10 times better.

Reactions: Kjbert

This would be another horrible signing a 33 year old player who has never played outside of Colombia WHY?

I don't understand why NYCFC gets constantly linked to old players. Lets get young good DP's not old players they are always injured.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
I have absolutely zero problem with this if he is a TAM signing. He was great the times I saw him play for Colombia and he would have a similar positive impact that Maxi has had for us, maybe a little greater being bigger lol. If this was for DP, that is an MLS 1.0 signing. We need to go younger and more talented in that regard. No point in signing a player who is surely going to regress from where he is currently at.

I think we have to consider that the team might try to go all out to win a championship next year (assuming we don't this year) because it could very well be the last chance to do so with Villa leading the team in every way. And they might do this even if it handicaps the team for the next 1-3 years afterwards.

Last edited:
I think we have to consider that the team might try to go all out to win a championship next year assuming we don't this year) because it could very well be the last chance to do so with Villa leading the team in every way. And they might do this even if it handicaps the team for the next 1-3 years afterwards.

If signing Macnelly Torres is our front office's idea of going "all out," they need to re-calibrate their definition.

If signing Macnelly Torres is our front office's idea of going "all out," they need to re-calibrate their definition.
Fair point. I conveyed my idea poorly. It was inspired by this report but not really tied to it.
First, I have no more faith in this rumor than I do in any other unsourced anonymous claim that a deal is imminent or an offer was made. Apart from his age he does not seem to even be a good fit.
What I mean is that -- apart from any specific rumor -- they might go for someone older who does seem to have at least one good year left and who does fit into a real need we have in 2018 even if it's not a good move for 2019-20 because they want to win a championship while Villa can still be the guy.

Last edited:
Fair point. I conveyed my idea poorly. It was inspired by this report but not really tied to it.
First, I have no more faith in this rumor than I do in any other unsourced anonymous claim that a deal is imminent or an offer was made. Apart from his age he does not seem to even be a good fit.
What I mean is that -- apart from any specific rumor -- they might go for someone older who does seem to have at least one good year left and who does fit into a real need we have in 2018 even if it's not a good move for 2019-20 because they want to with a championship while Villa can still be the guy.

Yeah, I inferred your true meaning. I may be fine with a 34-year-old on a two-year deal, but he better be a super star and move the needle a lot. The problem with that stance is that Pirlo fit that billing exactly two years ago, and look how that turned out.

We are still a league where physicality trumps. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't successfully play 90' on Sunday in Atlanta and then 90' the following Wednesday after a cross country flight to Portland, you're not going to lead our team anywhere.

EDIT: Wow, just realized why we signed Maxi. He isn't rattled by the lack of leg room on non-charter flights.

Maxi is probably the 10th best #10 in MLS. I have no problem replacing him.

I'm afraid this wouldn't be a replacement. And I woudl hate this signing. Doesn't jive at all with what I was told.