NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

It doesn't count against the cap because he's on loan?

Because we used our once a year exemption to void his contract vs the cap. But club (league)* is still responsible to pay it.

*It's an MLS contract. But money comes from CFG.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yeah, I inferred your true meaning. I may be fine with a 34-year-old on a two-year deal, but he better be a super star and move the needle a lot. The problem with that stance is that Pirlo fit that billing exactly two years ago, and look how that turned out.

We are still a league where physicality trumps. You can have all the skill in the world, but if you can't successfully play 90' on Sunday in Atlanta and then 90' the following Wednesday after a cross country flight to Portland, you're not going to lead our team anywhere.

EDIT: Wow, just realized why we signed Maxi. He isn't rattled by the lack of leg room on non-charter flights.

I think if Pirlo’s contract had been the 1.5 years the Club originally offered, everyone would have been fine with it.

I think if Pirlo’s contract had been the 1.5 years the Club originally offered, everyone would have been fine with it.

That's the hardest part about negotiation salaries with veteran players. Figuring out when they may decline. Especially in a capped league. You can get away with it in baseball with enough money to throw at mistakes.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why former?
Doesn’t he currently play CB? At Liverpool he was a DMid but I thought once he moved to Barça, or maybe only recently, he’s been a CB. I admit I don’t follow them closely so I don’t know his game to game positioning, and maybe he’s still playing as a midfielder, but I don’t know.

Even if he’s made the switch to CB, in MLS, he should be able to play MF no problem at all (or so I’m guessing).

The question is did he lose a step which is exposed more at DM than CB?
No idea which is why I posed the question of if skills holding steady or declining. Hopefully it’s just a function of Barça having too many great midfielders and to get them all on the field they moved him back to CB where he could also use his skills to QB the passes out of the defense.

Reactions: mgarbowski
No idea which is why I posed the question of if skills holding steady or declining. Hopefully it’s just a function of Barça having too many great midfielders and to get them all on the field they moved him back to CB where he could also use his skills to QB the passes out of the defense.

He's played CDM for Argentina as recently as last summer seems likely that it's just a Barca thing that he plays CB.