NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

I disagree. We have zero acceptable backups at the 8 and 6. What happens if Ring or Herrera suffer an extended injury? After Medina, midfield now becomes priority. A backup for Villa is also on the list.

Plus, always like to see the "team captain" label. I don't actually know much about this guy, but I have visions of a Dax-type CM presence. I don't know why, but as great as Ring was he didn't feel like a centerpiece, just an awesome piece of the puzzle.
Agree with everything except that Ring was absolutely a centerpiece - our system doesn’t work without a dominant DMid.

I agree that we need a midfielder but I want a midfielder who can put the ball in the damn net. If we didn't already have Ring I'd like the signing a lot though.

We need guys who can put the ball in the net, but we also need guys who can play D-Mid. Herrera is our only one right now, and he's going to be gone for stretches of the season. He needs a backup -- or he needs to be a backup.

There's so much TAM available for teams now, it stands to reason that a few guys we think are safe starters are going to be layered over. We've already done that with Wallace, wouldn't surprise me if Ring/Herrera see their minutes significantly reduced. Not because they're not good enough, but because if we don't layer over our starters, we're going to fall behind.

Whether that's good or bad, that's the climate in MLS right now.

We need guys who can put the ball in the net, but we also need guys who can play D-Mid. Herrera is our only one right now, and he's going to be gone for stretches of the season. He needs a backup -- or he needs to be a backup.

There's so much TAM available for teams now, it stands to reason that a few guys we think are safe starters are going to be layered over. We've already done that with Wallace, wouldn't surprise me if Ring/Herrera see their minutes significantly reduced. Not because they're not good enough, but because if we don't layer over our starters, we're going to fall behind.

Whether that's good or bad, that's the climate in MLS right now.
I agreed that Yangel needs to be a backup but this isn't the guy he should be a backup for.

I agree that we need a midfielder but I want a midfielder who can put the ball in the damn net. If we didn't already have Ring I'd like the signing a lot though.
We had to start T-Mac, Maxi, and Mikey Lopez for multiple games at holding midfielder last year. It's a position of need, and we would also be preparing for life without Yangel.

I disagree. We have zero acceptable backups at the 8 and 6. What happens if Ring or Herrera suffer an extended injury? After Medina, midfield now becomes priority. A backup for Villa is also on the list.

Plus, always like to see the "team captain" label. I don't actually know much about this guy, but I have visions of a Dax-type CM presence. I don't know why, but as great as Ring was he didn't feel like a centerpiece, just an awesome piece of the puzzle.

Agreed. We all see our starting XI as set. But if we can sign guys that could push a precieved starter to the bench, that’s how we really improve and survive a grinding season that hopefully includes a cup run.

Only position I want a pure backup signed is Villa, and he doesn’t have to play the position the same way to add to our versatility.

Yangel and Ring are crucial to our success. Therefore the best thing we can do is clone them so we can get a duo starting in some combination for 34. Our greatest flaw last season was our lack of depth. I love the idea of fixing that. I know nothing about this guy other than saying his name too quickly can result in a NSFW moment, but if he is in the Yangel/Ring ballpark, I like it a lot.

I agreed that Yangel needs to be a backup but this isn't the guy he should be a backup for.

That's a valid opinion -- I've never seen the guy play so I have absolutely no thoughts on whether he's the right guy or the wrong guy. Also wouldn't surprise me if this guy (or someone like him) is going to be brought on to be the backup.

Wait, you think that Yangel needs to be on the bench? Why?
Because as much as I love his play (I really do) we need more goals coming from the midfield. Ideally the team would move on from Maxi and admit giving him a DP contract was a mistake but that's not happening. As a result spending TAM on a 10 goal a year 8 would be ideal.

Reactions: Kjbert
Because as much as I love his play (I really do) we need more goals coming from the midfield. Ideally the team would move on from Maxi and admit giving him a DP contract was a mistake but that's not happening. As a result spending TAM on a 10 goal a year 8 would be ideal.

I have to disagree with you. Shouldn't Wallace or Lewis score more as forwards instead of Herrera as a midfielder? Herrera had many shots this year that were close. I think he will score 5 this year. I think Ring gets 1-2.

Herrera wasn't loaned here to be on the bench. He's one of the top 5 U24 players in MLS. He's starter level.

Just to add to what's being said, we have to take into account that (even within the confines of a salary-capped league) to be the best you have to be the kind of team that has players on the bench that would be starters in almost every other team. When money is not an impediment you see guys like Aguero or Gundogan in ManCity, or Mata, Martial, Mikhitarian, in ManU, spending a lot or most of their time on the bench. That's luxurious depth.

We're going to bring in players to compete for Starting positions on TAM contracts.

With our style of play, we can't afford to not have a goal scorer from midfield. It's crucial to our offensive approach. Midfield was a black hole offensively for us last year.

I'm curious as to whether Vieira would want to experiment with a D-Mid as a CB. Think Mascherano.

It's possible that one of our key contributors could be leaving in the Summer. Or two key contributors. You do business when the business can be done.

Above all, our top midfield back up last season was Tommy McNamara. If you're not happy with that, then you need sign better midfielders to compete.

We need a competent mid who can at minimum be a badass stopper. Whether he starts regularly or spot starts and subs, I don't care.

If anyone is arguing against us signing a mid, they need to check themselves.

Two DP attacking mids should provide your midfield goals. If they don't, address that. But it's a separate issue. Not one where you look to one signing solving both.

We need a competent mid who can at minimum be a badass stopper. Whether he starts regularly or spot starts and subs, I don't care.

How much do you care about yellow card accumulation?

upload_2018-1-5_6-53-53.png

This guy was a destroyer and a half for us. Would do well on the bench, where we could limit his exposure to yellows and only release him when someone needs to die.

We're going to bring in players to compete for Starting positions on TAM contracts.

With our style of play, we can't afford to not have a goal scorer from midfield. It's crucial to our offensive approach. Midfield was a black hole offensively for us last year.

I'm curious as to whether Vieira would want to experiment with a D-Mid as a CB. Think Mascherano.

It's possible that one of our key contributors could be leaving in the Summer. Or two key contributors. You do business when the business can be done.

Above all, our top midfield back up last season was Tommy McNamara. If you're not happy with that, then you need sign better midfielders to compete.

I'd just say that they have (seemingly?) upgraded the outside back positions with two guys that love to get forward in Matarrita and Tinnerholm. That may help solve some of the offensive problems (and frankly it was more of a Wallace/Harrison not scoring in the 2nd half of the year than midfielder issue). Also, the move to 2 full-time aggressive outside backs, also sort of necessitates 4 more stay at home guys in the middle for cover. Whether that's 2 DMs/2CBs, 1 DM/3CBs, or some other combo is a good question, but having one of those 4 being more offensive minded is probably not ideal with TAM attacking backs.

Having said that, besides for Sands, they don't have any real cover for any of those "4" (Tommy is more a like for like with Maxi than a DM replacement) and yes they need consistent scoring from LW, RW, and Maxi.

Our top needs are a strong guys to play (1) at centerback and (2) as a box-to-box midfielder, in that order. We should have more than enough TAM and cap space to sign really good players at both positions.

The past year showed pretty clearly that we need 4 strong midfielders for the 3 midfield spots and 3 strong centerbacks for the 2 centerback spots.

This guy sounds like just what we need.

How much do you care about yellow card accumulation?

View attachment 7822

This guy was a destroyer and a half for us. Would do well on the bench, where we could limit his exposure to yellows and only release him when someone needs to die.
How someone grows up in Argentina and ends up with the same touch as Khiry Shelton is beyond me.