NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

How much do you care about yellow card accumulation?

View attachment 7822

This guy was a destroyer and a half for us. Would do well on the bench, where we could limit his exposure to yellows and only release him when someone needs to die.
If he weren't an international I'd love to have him back actually.

Columbus is shopping Ole Kamara and Justin Meram.

Kamara would be a fantastic fit here. Can you trade TAM? $1 Million of TAM for Kamara straight up and then buy down his contract with TAM? Is that a thing?

Reactions: sbrylski
Reactions: Kjbert and Fake Jew
Columbus is shopping Ole Kamara and Justin Meram.

Kamara would be a fantastic fit here. Can you trade TAM? $1 Million of TAM for Kamara straight up and then buy down his contract with TAM? Is that a thing?
Imagine trading Maxi Moralez for Ola Kamara (or even Meram)

Kamara - Villa
Medina - Ring - Herrera - Harrison
Mata - Chanot - Callens - Tinnerholm

I was thinking Kamara provides a lot of flexibility. He can sub on every match. He can start 6 matches a year for Villa. You can change formation to a 4-4-2 in certain matches you want to rotate out a Herrera or Maxi. My understanding is that he is a true CF. But you could play a 4-3-3 with Villa as your LW in certain matches where the other team parks the bus - thinking like Colorado or Philly have tried to do in the past.

Imagine trading Maxi Moralez for Ola Kamara (or even Meram)

Kamara - Villa
Medina - Ring - Herrera - Harrison
Mata - Chanot - Callens - Tinnerholm

You know what's funny? That would be a dream formation for Jason Kreis.

I won't imagine that. Ridding our roster of Moralez is a pipe dream and I am going to suffer through two more seasons of him missing sitters, falling over in midfield and passing the ball to Villa in double coverage.

Reactions: LionNYC
The past year showed pretty clearly that we need 4 strong midfielders for the 3 midfield spots and 3 strong centerbacks for the 2 centerback spots.
I'd argue you need to have 5 "starter quality" midfielders. Card accumulation, knocks, fatigue, whatever. If you play 3 CMs (of varying roles, of course), you will almost always be missing one. I like to leave one in the chamber.

I think 3 "starter quality" CBs is probably enough, UNLESS we play 3/5 ATB. Assuming 4 ATB, pick up a cheap veteran backup and between that and Sweat, you're good.

I'd argue you need to have 5 "starter quality" midfielders. Card accumulation, knocks, fatigue, whatever. If you play 3 CMs (of varying roles, of course), you will almost always be missing one. I like to leave one in the chamber.

I think 3 "starter quality" CBs is probably enough, UNLESS we play 3/5 ATB. Assuming 4 ATB, pick up a cheap veteran backup and between that and Sweat, you're good.

Last year, Ring started 29 games, Maxi 28, and Herrera and Pirlo combined for 28. That leaves 17 starts in the midfield that are not accounted for. I don't know how often we were missing 2 of those 3, but it is hard to justify bringing in a 5th starting quality guy with those numbers.

Last year, Ring started 29 games, Maxi 28, and Herrera and Pirlo combined for 28. That leaves 17 starts in the midfield that are not accounted for. I don't know how often we were missing 2 of those 3, but it is hard to justify bringing in a 5th starting quality guy with those numbers.

Maybe my memory is off, but i feel like we were missing 2/3 more often than just 1/3. I’m too lazy to fact check, end of day Friday.

Maybe my memory is off, but i feel like we were missing 2/3 more often than just 1/3. I’m too lazy to fact check, end of day Friday.

I was too - and still am since it requires paging through the starting lineups for 34 games.

I do think the numbers are fairly instructive. We are missing the few games that Pirlo started because other people were hurt, as opposed to the ones he started before Herrera replaced him. We are also missing the game or two that Maxi played at LW, but I think that’s it.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
What about TPFKAU starting? Lopez? Too many times, even if only once.

You just hand points away when you send out shit like that.

Herrera's first full game was Game 8.
That gives us 27 games where the clear preferred central midfield trio was he, Moralez and Ring.
At least one of them was missing for 19 of those 27 games, and they had a combined 180 minutes or less.
Two were missing for 4 games. May 31 against the Revs, and Games 27-29 in September against SKC, Portland and Colorado.
Against Vancouver in July they combined for 158 minutes. Pirlo started in place of Maxi, who came on for 15 minutes at the end. I think that was a PV choice? Also, Herrera subbed off after 53 minutes for some kind of knock.

So 4 games where 2 were missing, but a full 2/3 of the time at least one was missing, which leads to a major falloff should one of them have to leave and our one decent sub is already starting for the missing guy.

Yeah, I think Medina (attacking) and Sands (defensive) will serve as the 5th CM. I fear if we sign another one (in addition to CM 4) that Sands and Lewis won't see the field much (Lewis starting on the wing when Medina is at CAM). I'd rather play the kids even if they are slightly worse that a potential CM 5 signing so that they develop for the future.

I was thinking Kamara provides a lot of flexibility. He can sub on every match. He can start 6 matches a year for Villa. You can change formation to a 4-4-2 in certain matches you want to rotate out a Herrera or Maxi. My understanding is that he is a true CF. But you could play a 4-3-3 with Villa as your LW in certain matches where the other team parks the bus - thinking like Colorado or Philly have tried to do in the past.

This, I’m on the Ola train as well. He covers for Villa if Villa needs rest, or you sub him in and move Villa to LW in late game situations when chasing a goal. Ola plays a Target forward role as well which could give tactical flexibility.

Basically, Ola Kamara is a YUGE improvement over Ugo from last year. Pick up the phone and kick the tires on this one.

I think your point about Medina slotting in as the CAM and Maxi playing as more of an 8 (or second CAM like City) allows us the flexibility to look for only one TAM CM, preferably a deeper or a box to box type similar to Herrera.
This is a possibility, and I definitely think it is paramount to add another b2b who can do a job at either end.

I just don't mind having another stopper DM on $200-$300k who can come on to lock down matches and spell Ring occasionally (deputize for him when he's out on yellow card accumulation, mainly).