NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Guys like Nasri are the exact type of players the league should be targeting, alongside the Gerrards of the world.

You need the Gerrards for exposure, tickets and eyeballs.

You need the Giovincos and Nasris to raise the level of play. Nasri, Navas - two guys who are probably on their way out of MCFC that would be great here. Put Nasri on the left, Navas on the right, Mix and Poku central with Villa leading the line. Slide in a true CDM next to Mix and you have yourself the makings of a fantastic 4-2-3-1.

Guys like Nasri are the exact type of players the league should be targeting, alongside the Gerrards of the world.

You need the Gerrards for exposure, tickets and eyeballs.

You need the Giovincos and Nasris to raise the level of play. Nasri, Navas - two guys who are probably on their way out of MCFC that would be great here. Put Nasri on the left, Navas on the right, Mix and Poku central with Villa leading the line. Slide in a true CDM next to Mix and you have yourself the makings of a fantastic 4-2-3-1.

No chance Navas goes across the pond. He deals with extreme homesickness-- to the point that it kept him out of some away games with his last squad. Obviously he somewhat overcame it if he is at MCFC, but still doubt he would come to the US with that in mind. Here is what his wiki says:

"Navas suffers from chronichomesickness,[40] to the extent he walked out of training camps within Spain because they were too far away from Seville. He also suffers from anxiety attacks[41] and seizures,[42] and initially refused to travel with Sevilla during pre-season to the United States due to his homesickness, later changing his mind in a bid to rid himself of this condition."

plus, with the amount of sitters he has missed at City, we already has someone that fills that role with Shelton ;)

I agree on Nasri though. He seems to be the perfect fit for NYC not to mention the fact that he has previously stated he would like to play in MLS. He has retired from the French National Team, so as some players fear coming over here hurts their international chances, this fear would be irrelevant to him.

Last edited:
When you look at the rosters of that second tier of UCL squads (City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Juve, Dortmund, Athleti), that is where MLS can clean up.

Over the next 3-5 years, as guys like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nasri, Ashley Young, fade away from their national squads and it is apparent they are rotation players - where is their future? Does Ox sell jerseys here? Nope. But on a DP contract, he could be a tremendous asset

Reactions: Christopher Jee
No chance Navas goes across the pond. He deals with extreme homesickness-- to the point that it kept him out of some away games with his last squad. Obviously he somewhat overcame it if he is at MCFC, but still doubt he would come to the US with that in mind. Here is what his wiki says:

"Navas suffers from chronichomesickness,[40] to the extent he walked out of training camps within Spain because they were too far away from Seville. He also suffers from anxiety attacks[41] and seizures,[42] and initially refused to travel with Sevilla during pre-season to the United States due to his homesickness, later changing his mind in a bid to rid himself of this condition."

plus, with the amount of sitters he has missed at City, we already has someone that fills that role with Shelton ;)

I agree on Nasri though. He seems to be the perfect fit for NYC not to mention the fact that he has previously stated he would like to play in MLS. He has retired from the French National Team, so as some players fear coming over here hurts their international chances, this fear would be irrelevant to him.
I have chronichomesickness every day when I go to work..... but interestingly nowhere else.....

When you look at the rosters of that second tier of UCL squads (City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Juve, Dortmund, Athleti), that is where MLS can clean up.

Over the next 3-5 years, as guys like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nasri, Ashley Young, fade away from their national squads and it is apparent they are rotation players - where is their future? Does Ox sell jerseys here? Nope. But on a DP contract, he could be a tremendous asset

Chamberlain is 23, if Arsenal don't want him he'll have a bunch of Premier League sides lining up for his signature. The other two players you mentioned are more realistic. MLS should be targeting relatively big name players who are 28-32 who aren't playing regularly and whose contract is running out, I don't see MLS spending big on transfer fees any time soon.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Villa has given his heart and soul to this team since day 1. His career accolades speak for themselves. His teammates love him (watch his interactions with them during practices and games). He's super intense on the field (who can take issue with that?), but also very close and friendly, often a jokester with his teammates off the field. He pouts at times, which is less than optimal, but it mostly is a product of his intensity, and I suspect no one is offended. He's also the first one when a teammate scores to bear hug them or jump on their back. Comfort with English or not, he's a fine and deserved captain. And I do think Lampard plays and will continue to play a role commensurate with a captain as well, in different ways than Villa, which is great.
one of my favorite moments was when he pulled/tore off the opponent's shorts. I was drinking tea and laughing and it got up into my nose!

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: Ulrich
http://ticodeporte.com/mejor-jugador-ronald-matarrita-de-revelacion-al-diamante-de-primera

El lateral de Alajuelense, Rónald Matarrita, fue electo por los lectores de TicoDeporte.com como el mejor jugador del Torneo Invierno 2015, mediante una encuesta donde participaron más de 25 mil personas. El manudo hizo un cierre de año fenomenal, que incluso lo llevó a la titularidad con la Selección Nacional en la eliminatoria mundialista y que lo pone en la órbita de clubes en el exterior.

Matarrita logró un 40% del total de los votos, sobre los 36% del saprissista Daniel Colindres. El zurdo hizo un torneo de ensueño, donde solo le faltó ser campeón. Sin embargo, su poderío en la banda izquierda manuda durante todo el certamen valió para reconocimiento del aficionado.

Matarrita comenzó el año como revelación, un novato con madera a pulir, pero en este cierre de año su explosión se dio efectiva. De jugar en la Selección Preolímpica, a su llamado a la Tricolor absoluta y ser el dueño del carril izquierdo en los duelos eliminatorios ante Haití y Panamá. En la Liga jugó 1.770 minutos en 20 partidos, todos como titular, saliendo de cambio solo dos veces. Anotó un gol, y recibió 8 cartulinas amarillas.

Con 21 años posee gran velocidad para defender y atacar, buena marca y dribling, buen dominio de la pelota, gran centro al área, técnica y desborde. Sin duda sus horas están contadas en la Liga y en el fútbol tico, el cuadro rojinegro ya maneja varias ofertas por él y tomaría el destino de legionario en breve.
google translated:
Alajuelense side of Ronald Matarrita, was elected by the readers of TicoDeporte.com as the best player in the Torneo Invierno 2015, a survey where more than 25,000 people participated. The closing manudo made a phenomenal year, which even led to appearances with the national team in World Cup qualifying and putting it into the orbit of clubs abroad.

Matarrita achieved 40% of the vote, about 36% of Saprissa Daniel Colindres. The left-hander made a dream tournament, where only lacked be champion. However, its power on the left wing manuda throughout the exhibition earned recognition for the amateur.

Matarrita revelation started the year as a rookie with wood polish, but this year its closure effective explosion occurred. To play in the pre-Olympic team, their call for absolute Tricolor and owning the left lane in the qualifying matches against Haiti and Panama. League played 1770 minutes in 20 games, all starts, leaving only change twice. He scored a goal and received 8 yellow cards.

With 21 years has great speed to defend and attack, good brand and dribbling, good ball control, great cross, technical and overflow. Certainly his hours are numbered in the league and in the attic football, red and black box, and manages several offers for him and take the fate of Legionnaire shortly.

The more I read about this guy, the more I want him at NYC!

MLS should have a rule that players over the age of 35 don't count as a DP spot regardless of their salary. Let's face it, typically, these guys aren't helping out the team for the money their being paid.

Am I the only one who's been traumatized by our centerbacks? Vieiera we need centerbacks so badly. I mean I'm Totally fine with being the stereotypical American all attack all the time team but ffs we need some kind of defense.
I was having coffee and bagels this morning with Patrick, and with a little bit of coaxing - he likes Baileys in his coffee - I've convinced him to play a 2-5-3 so that not only can we get all of our midfielders and forwards in the game at one time, but we take advantage of having only two defenders on the field, Iraola and Mena - both only need to win the ball and boot back up the field immediately. The idea is to flood the offensive zone with too much creativity for the opponent to handle - even when they clear it, Mena/Iraola just sends it right back in (imagine U-12). It took a couple chews on the bagel, and a fifth cup of coffee, before Patrick became a bit animated (jittery really) and thought it was brilliant except for the fact that the weak link is Saunder's kicking..... he figures if the counter ever pushes the ball to his box, even if he clears it, it's going to come back straight-away and then we may end up conceding a goal...... but boy did his eyes glaze over at the idea of 8 attackers swarming the box.....

So to answer your question..... we're solid with our defense exactly like it is. Seriously....... The 2-5-3 is the wave of MLS' future.....

With our reported interest in Matarrita, it's looking less likely we'll be drafting Vincent in the superdraft. Not a bad thing though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we can get Ronald.

All of a sudden, we can use the draft to address another need (maybe Campbell, a young CB, or Jack Harrison, a young winger).

Now we're sitting pretty with a young core of Mattarita, our draftee, Poku, Khiry (not to mention Mullins and McNamara) if all goes according to plan. Not a bad way to start 2016.

Reactions: JayH and sbrylski
Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
My concern is if we use the bulk of our TAM on one or two players, depth becomes a serious concern on our team. Remember, we still need to fill out the rest of our roster.

My concern is if we use the bulk of our TAM on one or two players, depth becomes a serious concern on our team. Remember, we still need to fill out the rest of our roster.

I disagree. I think TAM is perfectly used on 2 players, maybe 3. Using it on 2 players, you can realistically pay each of those players a salary very competitive with many other leagues, including some of the mid table teams in all the major leagues besides the EPL. We are at an advantage to the rest of the league in the sense that we know we are probably getting 2 loaned players from MCFC. That would put our roster at 22. 2 TAM puts it at 24. Most likely we will sign a cheap third GK that puts us at 25. Our draft pick at 26. Depending if we go 2 or 3 TAM signings, we will then go for 1 or 2 cheap depth signings. I really like the way this team is shaping up if the front office and CFG don't mess up filling out the roster.

Remember we can only use TAM to sign players that are over the maximum budget charge. We can't just sprinkle it around to everyone. So it's almost mathematically required that we only spend it on 1-3 players.