Nycfc V Columbus - M O T M And Post-game Thread

The only reason I can think why Kreis would tell his guys to waste time and just go for the 1 point and tie is because he thinks that we can beat: LA, Dallas, Vancouver, DC and also Toronto, Orlando, New England, and San Jose. And beat Columbus in 10 days.

Sorry I am late to the discussion. I had to work late yesterday thanks to our firms Chinese operations. I just watched the game on MLS live and here are my thoughts as the match went along:
-Nice starting lineup!
-First Crew goal (hopefully it's the only one) was all on Saunders imo. This is his biggest weakness, his awful distribution. He had Angelino in tons of space off to the side for an easy outlet that could have built an attack for us. Instead, he punts to midfield and straight to a Crew player, like 9 seconds later the ball is in the back of the net. Saunders needs to do better with distribution and this is why i'd love to see what Meara can do.
-Yet another lackluster first half. We are starting to build a bit of possession towards the end and are starting to create some opportunities. Hopefully we have one of our strong 2nd halves and take the points.
-Jack Mc has the dumbest haircut in MLS

-Poku is dope.
-What a great play from Villa and Poku to level! Outstanding finish by Poku in a crazy difficult position.
-We've definitely had the best of the first 15' of the second half. We need to keep the pressure up and take all the points.
-poku!Poku!POKU! is the man. GREAT touch off the cross from AJ and an easy finish from Poku!
- We got ate up on their second goal.
-David Villa absolutely needed to do better with that 74' opportunity.
-Awesome, a weather delay!
-Mix coming off, yet another sub-par performance imo.
-It was a mess after the rain delay of course.

Can't be happy with the tie.

I thought Villa's feet and positioning were really great today. When he was even with the back line, with just he and the back 4, he came back to make himself available for the ball. Offense still needs to run through him, and he's one of the best in the league in some of his hold-up play (which is crazy since he's not a very big guy -- for you). He needed to do better with some of his shots, though. He had some great opportunities, but just couldn't find the net. And that second-half header, if he were just 3 inches taller, it's a goal.

I'm starting to think that Mac might be the odd man out if Lampard is ever fully fit. I'm not sure how fast Lamps is, and I can't imagine he's really that fast, but Mac really doesn't offer too much on the wing in 1v1 situations. He was a back-pass champion tonight because he knew he couldn't get past his man. We'd do well to throw Mix on the left in the future and maybe Khiry on the right for some pace eventually. It's probably the one of the remaining important things this team lacks.

Hernandez had a nice game, and Mena played pretty well, too. Iraola had some nice attacking runs that we're really finally seeing, though Angelino was a little quiet. I wonder if that was part of the plan, keeping Angelino home more often since he can cover more ground, let Andoni go forward and have Mix run his ass off all game. By the way, since Pirlo, Mix is growing out his beard.

All in all, a good point on the road. Happier with 3, but we're going to give every team we face hell. I expect to win out at home the rest of the season. Galaxy had a mid-week game too. Not worried about our fitness, really, but I don't want to see any more yellow cards. We're accumulating a bit too quickly to be missing Villa for a key match.

nyc first goal was superb.

Pirlo finding poku with a pin point long pass and poku and villa combining with great touches.

If we need a goal late, why isn't Mullins the first sub in? At minimum he could perform Seba's role of running at the other team (all he seems to do) and he has a far higher potential to find the back of the net.

I hate any wait until next year talk, so I'll say instead: imagine what Poku's stats could look like with a full year of starting. He's been unbelievably good.
The only thing I could think of is he's planning on starting Mullins on Sunday and wanted to rest him as much as possible.

You can't defend Kries he was gutless and I'm heart broken and slightly hung over due to the delay. I will sulk about this for roughly another hour then move on and start shitting rainbows again.

Reactions: Kjbert
TMac was awful yesterday, really bad, it was a Grabavoy performance from him. On that note did anyone notice Grabavoy once he came on? Yeah me either, the invisible man continues. Jacobson had his best game yesterday I was very happy with his play. Mix was terrible again and I'm slowly falling off that bandwagon. Mena is good, he's very active and sometimes plays with fire slide tackling in and around the box but I like him. I also thought iroala played well he was good definding and good going forward, a very under appreciated performance IMO. Saunders is average at best.

When did everyone become so negative? I understand the overall frustration with the coach but last night was more good than bad.

Smart people were saying we only needed 1 point on this road trip as long as we beat the yellow shaving creams at home late in the month. Well we got the point and we could get another on Sunday.

Did any of you watch the resumption last night? We tried to score for the first three min but it soon became clear they were the more dangerous side so we parked the bus to the extent that our team can do that.

Last night was good.

TMac was awful yesterday, really bad, it was a Grabavoy performance from him. On that note did anyone notice Grabavoy once he came on? Yeah me either, the invisible man continues. Jacobson had his best game yesterday I was very happy with his play. Mix was terrible again and I'm slowly falling off that bandwagon. Mena is good, he's very active and sometimes plays with fire slide tackling in and around the box but I like him. I also thought iroala played well he was good definding and good going forward, a very under appreciated performance IMO. Saunders is average at best.
I agree for the most part, TMac had his worst performance of the year. Jacobson was actually on point, and Mix was not great, but I would not say terrible. Mena had a strong overall performance. And certainly, Saunders is average at best. We saw two of his weaknesses exposed tonight, his distribution was very poor and it cost us the first goal, and his command of the defenders was very poor. I saw at least three instances in which a defender had all sorts of space and time in our end to make a proper clearance, but Saunders failed to do his job of communicating that to the defender. What resulted were three desperate plays in which the defender put it out for a corner.

When did everyone become so negative? I understand the overall frustration with the coach but last night was more good than bad.

Smart people were saying we only needed 1 point on this road trip as long as we beat the yellow shaving creams at home late in the month. Well we got the point and we could get another on Sunday.

Did any of you watch the resumption last night? We tried to score for the first three min but it soon became clear they were the more dangerous side so we parked the bus to the extent that our team can do that.

Last night was good.

We needed three points last night. Sure, we are not by any means "done" at this point, but we need wins, especially against eastern conference teams. The Crew are likely out of range for us at this point, although not nearly as bad as a loss would have been.
I do agree with you about the post-resumption game. At that point, you need to be very careful. Players are not used to taking an hour break in the middle of the second half and you can't underestimate the impact that will have on their legs. While we wanted to win last night, we absolutely COULD NOT lose.

I would love to see Mullins paired up with Villa up top, with Poku leading the charge behind them!

Reactions: SayWhat44
Re: mix

He is being played grossly out of position. He is not a wide player. He is good enough to not embarrass himself out there, but he's not fast enough for it. He is a central mid. You know, the position Jacobson was playing last night. Did you see Jacobson take that long range bomb? Would you be happier with aj or mix taking that shot? Aj looked panicked and out of ideas every time he got the ball in midfield. That is mix spot.

Re: the game

That was a fair result against a good team away from home. Unfortunately we needed more than a fair result. We are in the position where we need to win all our " easy games " PLUS take two out of four of our games of death. There is no optimism, only hoping for a miracle now.

Last edited:
Losing to Montreal and getting 5 points in 5 games against Philly and Chicago is proving to be costly. Just give us an extra 6 points in those 6 games and we are firmly in the playoff race. I still think we will make it, but we are barely gonna slide in at 6 or 5 if we are lucky.

Didn't get to watch blacked out after work and woke up at 11. Went back to bed. The Poku goal from Pirlo to him to villa and back to him was gorgeous.

The Good: Poku <3, We got a point
The Bad: The Rain Delay. We have LA next -_-. I thought we were better.. for the most part.. my opinion anyway.
The Grabavoy: The defense on that second goal, Grabavoy still exists.

Reallly thought we were going to win this.. Very winnable game. Frustrating, but fuck, we need all the points we could get, so I'll take 1. Probably going to miss Sunday's game..

Kreis is such a coward. How does he still have defenders at this point? How are you subbing Tommy Mac for Ned Grabavoy in crunch time like that? I can only assume he was directing Saunders to waste time, as well?

We do not have the luxury of dropping points, home or on the road.

Diskerud is just not a RM. We have seen the last few games now that Kreis has told Jacobsen to play as an 8. Push forward, but don't be dangerous because we need you to provide defensive cover. If you are going to ask Jacobsen to play the 8, just fucking take him out and play Mix as the 8. That's his natural position, not as a RM. When Mix moved centrally last night, we had two great chances. He is the ONE guy on this team that can link up play Pirlo>Mix>Villa/Poku. Fucking play him there.

Saunders is miserable with the ball on his feet. Uncomfortable and has no control of where he punts. We need a keeper. Sorry. Like the guy's acrobatic saves but we need a a better keeper. He cost us the first goal. Mena didn't help. Mena cost us the second goal. Mena must be Spanish for "Kwame Watson-Siriboe."

Poku is as talented as Gyasi Zardes. He reminds me of a young Clint Dempsey. The strength and control are unique to a player that young.