Nycfc V Columbus - M O T M And Post-game Thread

I understand that you don't want to give up a cheap goal after the layoff there, but 1 point doesn't help you.

You need 3 points in that spot. A draw is as good as a loss against a team 6 points in front of you in the table. They maintain their advantage and burn off a game. If we lose, so what, they are still uncatchable. That's our issue.

And now Saunders isn't making those 'big circus saves' anymore as well. When's the last time he came up with a big save (like either of the 2 goals yesterday?) Saves at big times matter. I get that the first few months he was coming up big, but now he's basically "replacement player" quality, if you want to use the baseball term.
yep...and if you look at all the great clubs that national teams that won the big trophies, one thing in common is they all had a great goalkeeper who had to make some brilliant saves that is beyond expectations to allow their team to finally claim that trophy. for NYCFC, we need someone at least Tim Howard caliber. Again can we bid for De Gea please, CFG?

yep...and if you look at all the great clubs that national teams that won the big trophies, one thing in common is they all had a great goalkeeper who had to make some brilliant saves that is beyond expectations to allow their team to finally claim that trophy. for NYCFC, we need someone at least Tim Howard caliber. Again can we bid for De Gea please, CFG?

Well, de Gea is a little beyond us. But how is Victor Valdes just languishing in no-man's land, being signed to Man United but not even having been given a squad number? One assumes that his recent spat with Louis van Gaal will signal his final rupture from that club.

I wonder if CFG will investigate whether Valdes (who is a year younger than Saunders) would like to join his former Barcelona and Spain teammate David Villa here in New York. MLS's winter transfer window does not align with the Premier League's; so there would be no possibility of obtaining Valdes during MLS's off-season. But his Man United deal terminates at the end of the current Premier League season; so, if United don't unload him during the European transfer window, NYCFC could conceivably sign him as a free agent next summer without any transfer fee.

Well, de Gea is a little beyond us. But how is Victor Valdes just languishing in no-man's land, being signed to Man United but not even having been given a squad number? One assumes that his recent spat with Louis van Gaal will signal his final rupture from that club.

I wonder if CFG will investigate whether Valdes (who is a year younger than Saunders) would like to join his former Barcelona and Spain teammate David Villa here in New York. MLS's winter transfer window does not align with the Premier League's; so there would be no possibility of obtaining Valdes during MLS's off-season. But his Man United deal terminates at the end of the current Premier League season; so, if United don't unload him during the European transfer window, NYCFC could conceivably sign him as a free agent next summer without any transfer fee.
thanks, good insight. Buffon's contract expires in 2017 and he indicated this is his last contract with the Juv, we should ask Pirlo to call him and get him over here. I think a good goalkeeper can do well into his 40s

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
MLS's winter transfer window does not align with the Premier League's; so there would be no possibility of obtaining Valdes during MLS's off-season.
I'm not sure I think the core part of your speculation is likely to pan out, but I do believe this is not an obstacle. The EPL window is January. MLS opens in mid-February. I believe this only means we would have to sign him in January and he could not join the club until mid-February, which is more than acceptable. This is similar to what happened in early summer. The English and Spanish windows both opened before the MLS windows on July 8. So we signed Angelino and Iraola before they were allowed to join us on July 8 and they could first appear in our match July 12.

Someone said it best, that Mena is incredible 1x1 but at times looks lost against transition, leading to goals (some of this falls on others as well and some of it may be the product of our backs playing wings at times).

Regarding the 13 minute replay session, I was strongly advocating in the chat box that they go all-in and play for 3. With that said, I think they probably played it reasonably, notwithstanding the hate hereon. They kept their strongest lineup in to start, played aggressively for several minutes, had some opportunities. However, there was a clear momentum switch towards our goal the last half of the replay (which I think simply was just a natural shift for whatever reason, not strategic) and they (players and/or coach) either sensed or planned for this and protected the point in the last few minutes (and were lucky to get it with some of the chances against). I don't think they came into the replay session looking for the point at the outset, but it ended up being, at least, a reasonable strategy towards the end of it.

I said that. Great 1v1, terrible on counterattack or anytime the ball is moving.

Reactions: JayH
NYCFC has the most goals in the final 15' of play. So we're definitely a late push team. Maybe we win 10 games in a row? In the words of our jersey sponsors: Impossible is Nothing.

Reactions: Kjbert
Watched highlights on MLS Live app. It was the Columbus announcers and they said after the goal Villa/Pirlo were furious and yelling towards goal.

Reactions: Kjbert
Generally, you want to be happy with a point on the road. But given our specific situation, 3 would have been waaaaaay better.

From reading the thread, I guess I'm glad I didn't stay up to watch the restart?

Getting a point in Columbus is a decent result. The frustrating thing is that, as the game played out, it was very winnable. Giving up the second goal against the run of play plus the stoppage right after that really killed us. It felt like that game was on the cusp of turning into a replica of the DC United game. Some specific thoughts:

- Kreiss has done some strange stuff this year to be sure, but I can't understand the vitriol directed towards him for yesterday. He played the guys we wanted and played them deep into the game. Unless he isn't going to make subs or is going to go with Villa, Mullins and Poku at some point, I'm not sure what else he could have done. Obviously killing the clock the last five minutes was extremely frustrating.

- Somebody said it earlier, but Saunders distribution is brutal, particularly since he can't even get it way down the field and so when it turns over in midfield they are right back on us. One thing we really missed with Facey out was his ability to take the ball from Saunders when Pirlo is marked.

- Jacobson had Kamara on all the corners and, I thought, did a good job. Kamara is on four yellows - here's hoping he gets on this weekend and misses the game at YS.

- I continue to be excited about Mena, but I would go Hernandez and Facey for this season. We can score goals at this point, so the defense should really be about minimizing one-off mistakes. Feel very good about Mena for next year though.

I don't know what will happen the rest of the year, but this team is pretty damn fun to watch now.

-

- Kreiss has done some strange stuff this year to be sure, but I can't understand the vitriol directed towards him for yesterday. He played the guys we wanted and played them deep into the game. Unless he isn't going to make subs or is going to go with Villa, Mullins and Poku at some point, I'm not sure what else he could have done. Obviously killing the clock the last five minutes was extremely frustrating.

-
I'll help: He stated that the guy who has been responsible for 4 of the past five goals the team has scored needs to also help stop goals that the other team scores.
In a game that we needed 3 points from to stay in a playoff race, he played for a draw.
Continues to play Mix out of position.
Subbed on Ned Grabavoy last night

I'll help: He stated that the guy who has been responsible for 4 of the past five goals the team has scored needs to also help stop goals that the other team scores.
In a game that we needed 3 points from to stay in a playoff race, he played for a draw.
Continues to play Mix out of position.
Subbed on Ned Grabavoy last night
I will happily stipulate that his treatment of Poku, both in terms of playing time and how he talks about him, is bizarre and is a massive failing. The rest feels a bit harsh to me, but that is just my opinion.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Playing ultra-conservative. The point was a guarantee...3 points were too risky.

First time I see a game stopped due to weather conditions. I've seen games with snow kept on playing( I know it was because of lightning) Was the rain a blessing or a bad luck?I will always wonder if the game could had been won?

Logic was that its best one point than none at all and playing ultra -conservative safeguarded that precious point, We are in the sotano already( basement) but we are still alive.:oops:

- Jacobson had Kamara on all the corners and, I thought, did a good job. Kamara is on four yellows - here's hoping he gets on this weekend and misses the game at YS.

Good info to know. Of course, they will be hoping the same about Villa.

- I continue to be excited about Mena, but I would go Hernandez and Facey for this season. We can score goals at this point, so the defense should really be about minimizing one-off mistakes. Feel very good about Mena for next year though.

Mena is a solid addition. I agree that he is a little too mistake prone to be starting right now, but he's great to have on the roster and should settle in nicely with time.

I don't know what will happen the rest of the year, but this team is pretty damn fun to watch now.

Agree.