Official: Maximiliano Moralez signs as 3rd DP

My guess is that he is a DP because of the transfer fee and we will buy him down next year. When he was in Serie A he was making around 500k euros so i would be shocked if hes earning over a million.

I thought it said he was released from his contract?

Fantazma I believe you are the big follower of Liga MX here right? What do you think?

Reactions: mgarbowski
Not going to lie, I'm pretty disappointed. I think he would have been decent as a normal signing, but signing him as a DP to a three year deal is extremely disappointed considering my expectations for the direction of our club.

(1) I disagree with others that say players are in their prime at 30. While some players are in their prime at that age, the vast majority aren't. The reason this is concerning is because I can't think of any players, at all, who actually improve once they hit 30. Being in your prime is one thing, but if we are getting a player who could barley cut it in a team 3rd from the bottom in Mexico, I would at least hope they have some time to improve. Give me a 24-25 year old with Maxi's track record and I would be excited.

(2) The three year deal poses a similar problem to the Mix debacle, but even worse because he's taking up a DP spot. If for whatever reason he doesn't work out, we are stuck with him. A huge gamble for any 30 year old, especially one as unproven as he is.

(3) Furthermore, I think this is a bad signing because we should have focused on other areas of the pitch. I get that some think we need people to help Villa out getting goals, but (1) Maxi doesn't have a great scoring record, (2) if you look at the games that we lost where it mattered it was more often than not because we conceded far too many, not because we couldn't put it in the back of the net. I fear that we are now going to have too many "decent" players up top and through the midfield, without focusing on areas of the pitch that need more reinforcements.

(4) Last point I'll make is that the comparisons with Giovinco are off-point and probably only because they're both midgets. Their playing style even isn't similar. Let's say they are similar players, there are still too many differences. (1) Gio is only 30 this season, after he's already been in the league for two seasons. (2) Gio came directly from the Serie A where he played for the best team in the league' Maxi is coming from a failed stint in Mexico after playing for a crappy team in Serie A. (3) Gio has more international goals than Maxi has international caps. I've seen someone point out that's because Maxi plays for Argentina, except Italy has done better than they have in the same time period.

In short, I am very disappointed with this decision, and I really hope it's not one that haunts us for a few years.

With that said, I'm going to support Maxi just like every other player and pray that he proves me wrong.

E.g.

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Why play Chanot out of position? He's out best center back bar none. Otherwise I totally agree with you.

I'd say Callens on the bench and RJ on the right with Chanot is a better use of talent. On the other hand playing that way basically is a 3-4-3 at best and a 2-4-4 at worst.

Why play Chanot out of position? He's out best center back bar none. Otherwise I totally agree with you.

I'd say Callens on the bench and RJ on the right with Chanot is a better use of talent. On the other hand playing that way basically is a 3-4-3 at best and a 2-4-4 at worst.

Defensive balance when we push forward. Matarrita is going to play up the wing, and despite his speed, he needs cover behind him. Pirlo provides nothing defensively. Use the Jason Hernandez experiment as the example here. Not saying I agree, but it does make sense.

When we signed Chanot he was listed as CB-RB. This formation puts our 4 most talented defenders on the pitch at the same time. It also mimics the usage of Hernandez last season, where we can slide into a 3 man backline when Mata makes his runs.

EDIT: Jinx with K Kjbert

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert

I'd really like to see Maxi at RW, Villa at LW and a bigger target in the middle (too bad Shelton can't finish). Put Jack at the CAM. Maybe next year.

That being said, I'd assume it's going to be pretty close to what you said. I see Maxi & Jack swapping wings a lot throughout a game. It will drive a defense mad, especially when you have Villa lurking in the box. It's going to be tough for teams to mark our trident. I see whomever is playing the CAM reaping the benefits.

Reactions: Kjbert

I agreed until I saw Callens play. He's a starter. So the argument is that our best three defenders, by far, are Chanot, Callens, and Brillant. And the only way to get them all on the field is a three-man backline or to move the most versatile player. Chanot can play RB, and we shift into a 3-man back line offensively anyway, so it works out well.

The secondary point is that this lineup is strongest against set pieces. If we drop Brillant for a true attacking RB in Allen or Gomez, we are much weaker in the air defensively.

It's a quarter step back at CB for a full step forward for the defense as a whole.

I thought it said he was released from his contract?

Fantazma I believe you are the big follower of Liga MX here right? What do you think?
The first report from ESPN MX said that but I have not seen that corroborated any where else. Leon paid 5 million for this guy last year. Doubt they just let him walk for free.

I'm going to go ahead and say I'm cautiously optimistic about Maxi as DP. This is a guy whose potential was once world class, and that wasn't as a 16 y.o. but as an adult. He had caps with Argentina's U20 (with Aguero and DiMaria) and with the absolute national team, arguably the most loaded in the world, one that Tevez for example, has barely gotten caps with. To wear that shirt once is a guarantee of potential at least. Hundred plus appearances in serie A. How does his resume differ from Giovinco's? Our previous DPs were more established world class players, but also clearly past their prime. He is not. Let's wait and see. If we get 80% of 2011-14 Maxi he'll be a star.
The thing that scares me is that people say our league is arguably the most physical in the world and he is very small so I hope he is able to beat defenders and not get ran over. He is very technical just hope he can transition well

When we signed Chanot he was listed as CB-RB. This formation puts our 4 most talented defenders on the pitch at the same time. It also mimics the usage of Hernandez last season, where we can slide into a 3 man backline when Mata makes his runs.

EDIT: Jinx with K Kjbert

Adam - interested in your thoughts here. I think you and I agree that those are our 4 best defensive players. How would you line up?

NYCFC signs an older European star DP --> "No retirement players, we want DPs in their prime!"
NYCFC signs a younger DP --> "We are a big club and should be signing DP stars with experience!"
NYCFC signs a mid-career, lower profile DP --> "We shouldn't be signing anyone except big star DPs in their prime!"

People will squawk at any DP (well, maybe except Messi, although someone will say MLS is too physical).

The thing that scares me is that people say our league is arguably the most physical in the world and he is very small so I hope he is able to beat defenders and not get ran over. He is very technical just hope he can transition well

Giovinco.

Reactions: Goodfella
Adam - interested in your thoughts here. I think you and I agree that those are our 4 best defensive players. How would you line up?

I think you nailed it. I'd like Ring to win that last mid spot, as he has more speed and versatilely then Tmac. Based on how PV played it last year, this lineup makes the most sense.