Official Vent Thread

It's so funny to me that we now will have had a HRD in every tournament possible except MLS playoffs. (Not counting CCL for this just bc of the sheer unlikelihood, and it's not a recurring yearly thing)
Also Concacaf Champions League/Cup but that’s very unlikely to ever happen

West had 3 groups and 3 LMX teams. Central had 4 and 4. South and East both had 4 groups and 5 LMX teams. So we actually had an above average chance of facing LMX teams in knockout. It is just random that we end up in a bracket with the first 2 possible games being East teams we play all the time.
But it's bad that if we play Atlas again it would be in the Quarterfinals. Standard Tournament seeding puts the 2 teams who survive each group on opposite sides of the bracket so they cannot meet again until the final, which is always unlikely, but if it happens it happens. But they are committed to limiting long travel because the entire knockout is one short rest after another. And that is a function of your gripe: playing the entire tournament in a time period that is too short for its own purposes but too long for the problems it generates in the regular season.
They're just trying to do too much.

It's kind of ironic because Burki said this right after St. Louis got eliminated and now have 3.5 weeks off. But for teams who advance even halfway through knockout they added 6 games to a 34 games league schedule, plus USOC and for a few, CCL. It's too much. I fear MLS will drop USOC, which would suck for reasons of tradition and history and also not solve much because it is the least intensive element of the crowded schedule. IF MLS does drop USOC my Leagues Cup hatred will reach new levels.
Funny. Despite a bias toward tradition and the fact that the club I played with for 15 years could theoretically end up playing against an MLS side in the USOC, I already prefer the Leagues cup to USOC for the sole reason that MLS clubs are taking it seriously. Until or unless MLS clubs take USOC seriously, it’s a pretty boring competition with B-C squads, an ugly style, and shit atmosphere.

The sad fact is that unlike cups in “older” football nations, most of the tradition of the USOC has happened as a tree falling in the woods lacking an audience. It’s just not a desired prize. Occasionally you get a Rodrigo Schlegel moment (which sucked for us but was objectively amazing) but Leagues cup has supplied drama like that on almost every match day.

I was very skeptical about LC but I am a convert. I would love USOC to be meaningful but having LigaMX competition inherently raises the stakes and the excitement.

Reactions: JayH and Shwafta
Funny. Despite a bias toward tradition and the fact that the club I played with for 15 years could theoretically end up playing against an MLS side in the USOC, I already prefer the Leagues cup to USOC for the sole reason that MLS clubs are taking it seriously. Until or unless MLS clubs take USOC seriously, it’s a pretty boring competition with B-C squads, an ugly style, and shit atmosphere.

The sad fact is that unlike cups in “older” football nations, most of the tradition of the USOC has happened as a tree falling in the woods lacking an audience. It’s just not a desired prize. Occasionally you get a Rodrigo Schlegel moment (which sucked for us but was objectively amazing) but Leagues cup has supplied drama like that on almost every match day.

I was very skeptical about LC but I am a convert. I would love USOC to be meaningful but having LigaMX competition inherently raises the stakes and the excitement.
I wasn’t sure what to think of it going in, but I have really enjoyed watching the matches. I agree that the key is that the clubs are going all in, playing the best 11, and playing with pride which makes for exciting, intense games. USOC games are treated like friendlies and mostly unwatchable. The trade off is the awkward, unfortunate hiatus in the season, but maybe the formula at least produced some great matches. And it remains to be seen how some clubs will be affected during the playoff push once MLS resumes. But strictly for the enjoyment factor (and ignoring tradition, motives etc), so far I am on board.

Reactions: JCMore
I'd gladly take Leagues Cup over USOC, but personally I'd give up the USOC for free and have been and advocate of withdrawing from USOC since day 1.

Personally, I don't really care if Chino can magically beat LAFC on a fluke day. It means nothing. It's like the Yankees playing a mid season series against the Hartford Yard Goats. Sure, it would be interesting if Hartford won a game, but it wouldn't mean anything. Now, playing a series against the Dodgers or Mets? That makes sense.

Leagues Cup is weird, but at least it's a tournament against near peers.

Reactions: JayH
What could be better than an extra, unscheduled dispiriting loss to the Red Bulls in a pointless tournament followed by two-and-a-half weeks with no games to take your mind off of it?
Thank you Leagues Cup! In a way, this was the perfect complement to NYCFC 2023.

Reactions: Schwallacus
This team has been embarrassing. How Cushing has remained employed through this is beyond nuts to me. You cannot look at this team on paper and say that they belong this low on the table. Obviously, we weren't set up to win MLS Cup or anything at the start. But at the very least, we should've been in at least 7th, 8th, or 9th place going into Leagues Cup.

Maxi's return plus the influx of new players should've been a huge watershed moment for the club that took us from the peripheral of playoff qualification to a dark horse going into the final stretch. Instead, we can't even beat Minnesota at home.

this team loves to do the "transparent brad sims / david lee" interviews when things are going well, and then when things are bleh we hear nothing. meh.

this team loves to do the "transparent brad sims / david lee" interviews when things are going well, and then when things are bleh we hear nothing. meh.

There is nothing they could say that people would be happy to hear.

It seems the FO stopped giving a shit as soon as the stadium was announced. “HERES YOUR STADIUM ASSHOLES, COME BACK IN FOUR YEARS”

Reactions: Gene

lee did give an interview to MLS last week. wasn't the usual fan questions interview, but it gives some insight on the not so great roster build this year