RBNJ Postmatch

So PV is complaining about how somebody else's complaints affected the refereeing, is that at all hypocritical?

This is funny. He clearly addressed why he was sent off. Had no issue with it. He clearly addressed that we didn't play well, named names and specific problems and that he will reflect on it. In my eyes, it's not hypocritical. How not? RB had beaten 4 out of 5 times before yesterday. You lose one game and then go whining and complaining PUBLICLY about refereeing, specifically referencing Villa and Pirlo, etc. That's wrong. Yes, he was fined for it. Slap on the wrist really. He continues to do it in game and it is clearly affecting the calls in PV's view. He walks out of his area and tells Jesse something.

This is what is important: We beat them ONE time and he resorts to a disgustingly juvenile tactic to hopefully affect the next outcome. It worked. So it then becomes a conversation about whether you care just for effectiveness or whether you care about what is just. I'm personally interested in what is just. I've seen plenty of things throughout history that were undoubtedly effective but equally evil.

From what I have observed of PV, he is a very thoughtful and honest man. He can take a loss to anyone in this league with class. Including the Red Bulls. We lost 7-0 and this is what he said: http://www.nycfc.com/post/2016/05/2...ck-vieiras-post-match-interview?autoplay=true

I would never put him in the same boat as Marsch because he spoke up and out about what he saw. It's not hypocritical because that is not who he is as a person. He has shown that in many ways.

4. Or another fan that constantly whines about fans' loathing of another coach.

I love 99% of what you write but that was seriously self-righteous.
It is a fault I'm prone to. Often but not always when I am in fact right. By which my intent is to move 50-60% in your direction, which might leave you unsatisfied but take it for what it is and enjoy the vacation.

Reactions: Ulrich
It is a fault I'm prone to. Often but not always when I am in fact right. By which my intent is to move 50-60% in your direction, which might leave you unsatisfied but take it for what it is and enjoy the vacation.
I think everybody had a valid reason for hating Marsch and his whining - R roxfontaine summed it up best that it's not justified complaining by Marsch to even suggest preferential treatment when the supposed protection of NYCFC players has been during 4 (now 5) losses. If NYCFC had been leading the series 4-1 then possibly Marsch would have a point. His tantrums are like the fat kid being angry because he wasn't given an all-you-can-eat pass.

Reactions: Vallos
The average positions are a mess with Villa dropping so deep, McNamara dropping deep and Pirlo pressing up trying to get through midfield.

View attachment 5387

(Also look at the RB picture. The two DMs on red bulls average positions were in our half. how does that happen)

It was a mess and definitely looked like we were not prepared or all on the same page.

The average positions are a mess with Villa dropping so deep, McNamara dropping deep and Pirlo pressing up trying to get through midfield.

View attachment 5387

(Also look at the RB picture. The two DMs on red bulls average positions were in our half. how does that happen)

Also, note how far Harrison had to track back since he didn't really have a fullback running up to support him.

Regarding Coach V's comments, I kind of think he had to say something, especially after he got sent off. That said, I am pleased that the rest of the team handled it so well. Lampard in particular.

“I have nothing to say,” Villa said when asked of Geiger’s performance. “In my career, 15 years, I think I’ve been successful in never talking about the referees or talking about things outside soccer.”

Thomas McNamara also did not discuss Geiger’s performance nor if Jesse Marsch’s comments about Villa had any effect. Frank Lampard was also booked in Sunday’s loss. He said he’s seen coaches attempt to wind up referees before.

“It’s the oldest trick in the book to complain pregame about the decisions,” Lampard said. “I don’t know what [Marsch] was talking about, but in the last game we played there were some bad tackles on David and [Andrea] Pirlo —but I think it was probably tactical for him to speak like that. And no need, we keep quiet, we wanted to come here and play. Sometimes you have to hold your dignity and hold your tongue. You get beat, you get beat.”
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/frustrations-lead-to-suspensions-for-nycfc-51454/

Before the Red Bull game I felt superior to them because they were so easily beaten by teams who can figure out their press.

After this game, I now feel embarrassed because we are also so easily beaten by teams that figure our system out.

If either of us don't come up with a good plan B or a good counter to those teams that match up well against us, neither of us will make it thru more than a round in the playoffs. More likely to see Montreal or Philly take the East.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Dude, your analysis is so far off base with this item, as with a lot of your postings. Having white at RB offers zero support on the back line. When the CBs shift the RB has to shift and track and that wasn't happening. If you're going to throw somebody under the bus then some self reflection goes a long way too.

Your negative postings are seriously lacking on so many levels.

It's not about his teammates or the back four's shape, it's about the unforced errors he makes over and over again. Whether it's losing markers (1-0), coming up second in the air (2-0; 4-1), inexplicable handballs after giving the ball away (3-0) or just not bothering to track back after losing challenges (4-1), he just completely bottled it yesterday.

It's all well and good reaming out Ethan White (who was awful), but we signed him to be what, our third choice right back? Brillant - who earns four times as much - was supposed to be The Answer. Right now he's an ironically named circus clown. Not sure where your beef's come from - I think we should be expecting a lot more.

It's not about his teammates or the back four's shape, it's about the unforced errors he makes over and over again. Whether it's losing markers (1-0), coming up second in the air (2-0; 4-1), inexplicable handballs after giving the ball away (3-0) or just not bothering to track back after losing challenges (4-1), he just completely bottled it yesterday.

It's all well and good reaming out Ethan White (who was awful), but we signed him to be what, our third choice right back? Brillant - who earns four times as much - was supposed to be The Answer. Right now he's an ironically named circus clown. Not sure where your beef's come from - I think we should be expecting a lot more.
Brillant had a shitty game, but hes been very good otherwise.

Agree with the fact that Tommy and AI played with the most heart and conviction, but I have to say that I thought RJ played with heart as well. I'd throw Pirlo in there too to some degree because it felt like he was trying to press the game for us, but then he kind of gave up after he couldn't convince Lamps to do any defensive work whatsoever.
Took the words straight out of my mouth. I thought Allen played with a lot of heart even though he probably should have been red carded. Pirlo badly wanted to get a long ball to Villa and Jack but both of them just couldn't stay on side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
well well well....you know I commented in the pre game thread that I had a dream we were winning 4-0 at half time. Well after doing some thinking a few hours before the game, I said to myself that we will get killed today so I decided to take the wife out for dinner on a double date. I of course kept checking the stats and box score and once I saw we gave up the first goal 20 minutes in, I said to myself "yep here it comes" I knew we were in for a beating, and a beating we were handed once again.

When I got home I didn't have the stomach to watch the highlights, but I did do so today so because I love feeling this pain. There is no team, and no club I hate more then the red bulls. The comments by Jesse Marsch and his players pre and post game made me realize how shitty of a team and organization they are. Even the quiet Luis Robles has the nuts to say something. This is a shmuck that was out of this league a couple of years ago and now he is mouthing off. Good for him, his ego has grown. I think the bottom line is this. The Redbulls and their players care way more about these games then our coaching staff and players. It is plain to see. Not until we can match their intensity are we going to be able to compete with them. They know they are in our heads and they use that to their advantage so beautifully. Just like all bullies do.

With that said, really looking at the big picture, we are still top of the east. I hope and pray that we can get a better GK (wishful thinking I know) but seriously, not blaming Saunders for this past game, even though he looks clumsy and goofy as fuck with his late reactions and his dives, but no team will fear us with this backline and Saunders in net, certainly not the red bulls. But I digress.

With that said, ahem again, we are first in the east, and if we play the red bulls in the playoffs, thats the fucking series we have to make sure we win and we can forget about the raping they have given us for two seasons now, which includes the 7-0 train.

Thats it, make the playoffs, beat this god awful organization aka marketing firm in Jersey in the playoffs and all this is for naught.

well well well....you know I commented in the pre game thread that I had a dream we were winning 4-0 at half time. Well after doing some thinking a few hours before the game, I said to myself that we will get killed today so I decided to take the wife out for dinner on a double date. I of course kept checking the stats and box score and once I saw we gave up the first goal 20 minutes in, I said to myself "yep here it comes" I knew we were in for a beating, and a beating we were handed once again.

When I got home I didn't have the stomach to watch the highlights, but I did do so today so because I love feeling this pain. There is no team, and no club I hate more then the red bulls. The comments by Jesse Marsch and his players pre and post game made me realize how shitty of a team and organization they are. Even the quiet Luis Robles has the nuts to say something. This is a shmuck that was out of this league a couple of years ago and now he is mouthing off. Good for him, his ego has grown. I think the bottom line is this. The Redbulls and their players care way more about these games then our coaching staff and players. It is plain to see. Not until we can match their intensity are we going to be able to compete with them. They know they are in our heads and they use that to their advantage so beautifully. Just like all bullies do.

With that said, really looking at the big picture, we are still top of the east. I hope and pray that we can get a better GK (wishful thinking I know) but seriously, not blaming Saunders for this past game, even though he looks clumsy and goofy as fuck with his late reactions and his dives, but no team will fear us with this backline and Saunders in net, certainly not the red bulls. But I digress.

With that said, ahem again, we are first in the east, and if we play the red bulls in the playoffs, thats the fucking series we have to make sure we win and we can forget about the raping they have given us for two seasons now, which includes the 7-0 train.

Thats it, make the playoffs, beat this god awful organization aka marketing firm in Jersey in the playoffs and all this is for naught.

I think the Red Bulls have the most punchable faces in MLS. Marsch. Grella. Kljestian. Robles. Muyl. Wright-Phillips. Dax. Collin. Duvall. etc. etc. etc.

Over the course of this rivalry, I wonder who will be the first player to go directly from one team to another.

I think the Red Bulls have the most punchable faces in MLS. Marsch. Grella. Kljestian. Robles. Muyl. Wright-Phillips. Dax. Collin. Duvall. etc. etc. etc.

Over the course of this rivalry, I wonder who will be the first player to go directly from one team to another.

For real. I seriously dislike their dumb faces. It's not a thing , it's real emotion lol.

Reactions: Gavin23 and BEC SPK

Out of all of these players, I actually like BWP quite a lot. I followed him very closely when he first came to the red bulls, struggling to break out until he finally go this chance up to with Henry feeding him. I think he is a classic case of a late bloomer. The kid is smart, has a great touch, and I think he is one of the top strikers in this league easily. His attitude is very fair, and matter of fact. He doesn't sensationalize things at all which I like.

Dax is another player I like, and his quotes pre and post game were very fare. So were Sacha's. Its dip shits like Robles, Felipe, and Jesse Marsch of course that really rub me the wrong way. Grella as well.

As far as which which player will go directly from one team to another? I assume you are not counting Ryan Meara and the Sal Zizzo trade?

I honestly don't know. Neither of these teams want to help out each other, I doubt any major deal happens in the near future.

Regarding Coach V's comments, I kind of think he had to say something, especially after he got sent off. That said, I am pleased that the rest of the team handled it so well. Lampard in particular.

“I have nothing to say,” Villa said when asked of Geiger’s performance. “In my career, 15 years, I think I’ve been successful in never talking about the referees or talking about things outside soccer.”

Thomas McNamara also did not discuss Geiger’s performance nor if Jesse Marsch’s comments about Villa had any effect. Frank Lampard was also booked in Sunday’s loss. He said he’s seen coaches attempt to wind up referees before.

“It’s the oldest trick in the book to complain pregame about the decisions,” Lampard said. “I don’t know what [Marsch] was talking about, but in the last game we played there were some bad tackles on David and [Andrea] Pirlo —but I think it was probably tactical for him to speak like that. And no need, we keep quiet, we wanted to come here and play. Sometimes you have to hold your dignity and hold your tongue. You get beat, you get beat.”
http://www.empireofsoccer.com/frustrations-lead-to-suspensions-for-nycfc-51454/
Not sure how Fat Frank can talk about holding his dignity. He absolutely embarrassed himself with the lazy play and then totally losing it with the unhelpful arguing and fighting. Pirlo showed fight and dignity... Lampard showed quite the opposite.

As far as which which player will go directly from one team to another? I assume you are not counting Ryan Meara and the Sal Zizzo trade?
I personally would not count Zizzo because he never suited up for us. I would say Meara is the first since he did actually get 1 start for us and participated in fan events (post game autograph signings, etc). However, I wouldn't dismiss the argument that even Meara doesn't count since he was on loan and not technically a player under contract with us.

Reactions: S1ARK5