RBNY Postgame

I will repeat what I said earlier.

Our guys cared about this game a lot... Probably too much.

They completely lost their heads and let their emotions run away with them. They let the big moment overwhelm them and cloud their judgment.

What makes you think that? (Asking honestly, not in an accusatory way). In Vieira's interview with Men in Blazers earlier in the week, that was exactly the kind of thing he said he was trying to have the players avoid. Whereas the companion interview with Dax, it sounded like RB clearly treat this game differently. But I agree with you that "talent and tactics don't explain 7-0. Shitting the bed explains 7-0."

As a footnote, just watched the Brillant sack, it was in the 21st minute, still 1-0, just as he was going to get his head on the Pirlo corner to tie the game up 1-1 and change the course of the Red (Bull) Wedding. [I was going to make a GOT joke here but couldn't figure out how to use that spoiler thing.]

As a footnote, just watched the Brillant sack, it was in the 21st minute, still 1-0, just as he was going to get his head on the Pirlo corner to tie the game up 1-1 and change the course of the Red (Bull) Wedding. [I was going to make a GOT joke here but couldn't figure out how to use that spoiler thing.]
It's [ spoiler ] without the spaces [ /spoiler ]

like this

Reactions: JayH
In retrospect, was resting key players for the Toronto match a mistake? Did we lose some of the continuity and momentum in doing so? Thoughts?

Reactions: Ulrich
i wouldnt say so...that was long travel going to portland then back to toronto then back home. i dont think it would of made a difference.

It was the travel more than anything else, heck they didn't get back into the NY metro area until mid-day Thursday - after almost a full week on the road (including what, almost 6K miles of travel?). PV and Mix went right off the plane to do media. So that means that they had basically 0 preparation - they had one day to practice and make any tactical changes. PV went with what was working during the last few games because he had no choice. PV said on the interview that he was "not happy" that he had to go and do a bevy of interviews right off the plane.

RBNY's schedule: away at DC (much easier travel - bus ride to RFK) and then home the rest of the week. Yes, they had a mid-week game, but compare playing away at BMO field to a very good Toronto team to playing at home vs the league doormat.

The travel is NOT why they lost the game, but it definitely didn't help.

Last edited:
leave free up a DP spot and you wont have to hear the boo's again
It's not even that hard, if the team stopped lying it would be so much better.

Imagine they said in February "his injury is pretty bad" or said "he's out of the country to train with doctors familiar with him" instead of "he's questionable"

Reactions: gbservis
It's not even that hard, if the team stopped lying it would be so much better.

Imagine they said in February "his injury is pretty bad" or said "he's out of the country to train with doctors familiar with him" instead of "he's questionable"

true, but its too late now....get used to the boo's until you start contributing a whole lot in each game you play in.

What makes you think that? (Asking honestly, not in an accusatory way). In Vieira's interview with Men in Blazers earlier in the week, that was exactly the kind of thing he said he was trying to have the players avoid. Whereas the companion interview with Dax, it sounded like RB clearly treat this game differently. But I agree with you that "talent and tactics don't explain 7-0. Shitting the bed explains 7-0."

I heard that interview, and that was clearly PV's intention to keep things low key for his players, and he just as clearly failed. I don't think you can get players to ignore the magnitude of the game.

I am not sure if it is how he prepared his team mentally or not. I do think the way things unfolded was tough for our guys to handle.

1. Game begins. Emotions high for rivalry game.
2. RBNJ put on in early on a corner.
3. Worries escalate given bad results last year. Confidence takes a blow.
4. Pirlo gets studs to knee from Sam with no card.
5. Two NYCFC players get yellow carded for minor offenses.
6. Sam chokes Mata with no repercussions.
7. Brillant dragged down in box with no repercussions.
8. Team furious and starts to lose focus.
9. RBNJ score twice to end half.
10. Floodgates open.

In retrospect, was resting key players for the Toronto match a mistake? Did we lose some of the continuity and momentum in doing so? Thoughts?

I said I didn't understand why everyone wanted to sit half the team before that game. You play your team until you can't. Thought it would be a momentum killer. When you try to get cute, bad things happen.

That being said, rest or no rest...their ineptness on set pieces had to do with personnel and preparation.

Going on a small rant here..

I think the underlying problem is far greater than we think. We keep talking about coaching, DPs, tactics, players in general, etc. I think the problem is our organization and CFG thinking they got the biggest ____ in the room. That they can waltz right into this league and dominate. I truly think they think they are smarter than everyone else in the league. Confidence is good, but ignorance and arrogance will keep us from growing. They will see their mistakes through to the end if they have no one else to blame, just to try and prove they didn't make a bad a mistake.

I truly hope this game humbled them and they seriously look at this club as a whole...not just as a pet project with a revenue stream. They are taking us for suckers. Gimmicks and marketing will keep the dopes coming they think. This game needs to be a defining moment in our club's young existence and mark the beginning of great things to come. Otherwise, we are being sold snake oil. I'm not feeling overly optimistic right now.

Last edited:
This team still lacks talent specially on the back line Hernandez and Brillant are really not good enough and with our coach wanting to play out of the back you need CB's that can handle the ball, dribble and be able to get out of trouble something Brilliant and Hernandez can't do.

Pirlo gives you very little in midfield , you need a good young midfielder to distribute the ball we don't have that.

There is a need for a veteran forward to play along with Villa.

Lopez, Saunders need to sit ASAP.

Brian Dunseth weighs in on Instant Replay.

Sam should have seen red for the tackle on Pirlo.
TMac may have seen red for his tackle on Dax had it occurred early in the season.
Brillant getting pulled down in the box was not a penalty as both players were initiating.
The Yellow card for fouling Mendoza was appropriate due to the covering center back.

He did not mention the Sam choke of Lopez, although in looking at a different game he mentioned that hands around the throat is automatically violent conduct that gets a red card.

No discussion of the offside calls or Pirlo's elbow to the head.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...been-sent-vs-nyc-instant-replay?autoplay=true

Guys, stop complaining about the reffing. It's a sour grapes, sore loser attitude that makes us look bad. We were thumped Saturday, plain and simple.

Yes, there were dubious calls. Sam should have been sent off. Tommy Mac probably as well. But regardless, we played awful and didn't even belong on the same pitch as the jersey boys, as much as it pains me to say it. They clearly wanted it more than us from start to finish. We on the other hand could barely string a few passes together.

I think this loss requires closer scrutiny of two people:

1) PV and his tactics. He didn't adjust all game and we got smoked. The locker room team talk he gave at halftime clearly didn't work because the team came out as listless as they played the first half. Did anyone even understand him when they were doing the Fox sideline audio? He sounded like he was mumbling, as if he was talking with a finger in his mouth or something. He needs to fire his guys up more.

2) Villa. For the fourth straight derby, our captain disappeared. Yeah the service to him sucked, but how do you get marked out of the game by Duvall, an outside back playing out of position? Miazga was actually pretty decent last season so I could understand more, but Duvall? He has to do better. He has to fight harder and throw his arms up to pump up the crowd before a corner. He just didn't want it Saturday and that's troubling.

Also how does Poku score on Wednesday and not even make the bench? Baffling by PV.

This loss will be in the record books for a long time -- maybe even decades.

I think the talent is there for a win, but the mindset is not there yet, unfortunately.

Reactions: S1ARK5 and Paul