RSL Postmatch

Kreis had a better home record through 9 games last year than PV.

And, despite the team finishing in a 3-way tie for worst defense in the league last year, this season -- with the so-called 'better' defenders and formation -- PV is poised to shatter that number of goals allowed.

But yeah, just keep thinking PV is better.
:cool:

Possession is nice, but it means nothing if you do nothing with it...and we're doing nothing with it, unfortunately.
Last year our possession was sideways and backwards. This year possession is much more positive and attacking. That is why we lead the league in shots.

Of course we need to translate those shots into more goals and more points in the standings, but the thread was about whether we are a better team than last year. We definitely are.

We saw some of the best play in our existence.

I Just can't see it. I understand how PV wants to play. I also understand that half the roster can't play that way and never will. It was nice to see Mix put in a really good effort, but he still doesn't have the speed or endurance to play like that every night. We can't have two midfielders casually running around the midfield like its a spring morning jog. Villa had a frustrating night. Lately people have been criticizing his play, calling it selfish. Of course he's selfish. He's the only consistent forward scoring goals. I'd probably be a little selfish too. Jack looked great and he connected a few times with Villa. Villa showed a little trust and I think those two will build on that. I didn't boo Lampard when he came on. I just don't give a shit anymore. This team is in such a state of disarray that having him on the field might actually be better than some of the other midfielders the way we've been playing. PV needs to to make serious roster changes if he wants to continue playing this style of football. Its not working at home with what we have. He'll need players that can adapt better than what we have. At this point, I don't care if some fan favorites leave. We either need a new plan or roster changes to make the current plan work. Get it together and make it happen ...

Last time I checked we were leading the league in possession. That can't happen if this year's team isn't better than last year's team.
Possession only matters if you score, frankly. Ask Atletico Madrid -- they don't give a shit for possession, and were a penalty away from winning the UCL.

Edit: Oh, and some shitty club called Leicester.

Last edited:
I Just can't see it. I understand how PV wants to play. I also understand that half the roster can't play that way and never will. It was nice to see Mix put in a really good effort, but he still doesn't have the speed or endurance to play like that every night. We can't have two midfielders casually running around the midfield like its a spring morning jog. Villa had a frustrating night. Lately people have been criticizing his play, calling it selfish. Of course he's selfish. He's the only consistent forward scoring goals. I'd probably be a little selfish too. Jack looked great and he connected a few times with Villa. Villa showed a little trust and I think those two will build on that. I didn't boo Lampard when he came on. I just don't give a shit anymore. This team is in such a state of disarray that having him on the field might actually be better than some of the other midfielders the way we've been playing. PV needs to to make serious roster changes if he wants to continue playing this style of football. Its not working at home with what we have. He'll need players that can adapt better than what we have. At this point, I don't care if some fan favorites leave. We either need a new plan or roster changes to make the current plan work. Get it together and make it happen ...
We must be watching different games. I'm not going to argue that Pirlo and Iraola are slow, but we dominated midfield. We lost in the 18 yard box last night. Villa should have had 5. Mix should have had at least one of those headers.

I don't disagree. We were dominating RSL so comprehensively that we must have felt like we'd have unlimited opportunities to score.

Same here. Additionally, when he talks about humility, I think those are messages for Villa. The guy is top class; no doubt. However, he has to be more aware of the talent around him.

Sidebar: I used to pull for Khiry. No more. The guy just runs down the wing to the touchline and then tries to send a low cross that is blocked. It's a joke.

Every time Poku is on the pitch... something happens.

Jack Harrison, please be what we hope you are.

Last edited:
Possession only matters if you score, frankly. Ask Atletico Madrid -- they don't give a shit for possession, and were a penalty away from winning the UCL.

I agree with you but last year our possession was square and back until someone hit a long ball to Villa to go 1 v 3. This year the way we keep the ball and attack is more positive and effective.

even if we have the same lousy record as last year I would rather watch NYCFC 2016 than NYCFC 2015. They play better soccer now

And you just listed the outliers in the world of football.... and that's why they're called outliers - because the listed result is not even close to the statistical norm.

Reactions: FootyLovin
We must be watching different games. I'm not going to argue that Pirlo and Iraola are slow, but we dominated midfield. We lost in the 18 yard box last night. Villa should have had 5. Mix should have had at least one of those headers.

I think that the people crying about them being too slow have watched MLS for too long. As long as you have a box 2 box guy there like mix it's fine. I watch a lot of other soccer and there's a lot of great talent on big teams where distribution is king. I don't see a lot of speed at that position generally, so I don't know what these guys want besides the stereotypical MLS athleticism over skill.

Really liked what I saw from Harrison last night. Hope he continues to gain confidence and play well. Seems like Villa has trust in him as they had some nice combos. Villa already seemed to have a good connection with TMac so I'd like to see what it would look like with all three of them up top together. I think that could be a very effective trio.

Don't understand the Mix hate, I thought he played a solid game. I agree that he should have scored at least one of those headers but I'm not going to kill him for that, especially when plenty of other guys had great chances (e.g. Villa) to score and didn't.

Glad to see Poku make a positive impact. Great through ball to break Villa free and then he goes classic Poku to win the penalty. Still needs to work harder off the ball though.

I thought it was odd of PV to bring on Shelton instead of Tommy Mac. We were playing with good possession but couldn't finish. The game was crying out for someone who's crafty in the final third and good at finishing and those are Tommy's best assets. Shelton is fast but there is no end product.

I'll be interested to see if PV disciplines Mindoza for his temper tantrum after coming off, especially since he suspended Shelton and Lopez for what amounted to immature comments on social media.

e must be watching different games. I'm not going to argue that Pirlo and Iraola are slow, but we dominated midfield. We lost in the 18 yard box last night. Villa should have had 5. Mix should have had at least one of those headers.

I'm speaking generally about the Mix. If he's going to be a midfielder along side Pirlo, and that goes for anyone playing Mid along side Pirlo, they can't be as slow as him. Pilro and Iraola are slow but they control the ball and make accurate passes. Mix stepped up his game last night, but he needs to do that every night.

Reactions: Christopher Jee