RSL Postmatch

Tonight looked like we were simply toying with them. I know we have the talent to be dominant, but I wasn’t sure it we were playing at that level and/or if RSL is that awful??? They looked abysmal, and coming in to the match, I was under the impression they were supposed to be decent (like a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10) - we made them look like a 1.5 at best. And by the end of the match, they changed their game to play really physical which wasn’t necessary being down 4 with 10 min to go. But whatever, our boys threw down early and there was never any doubt.

Tonight looked like we were simply toying with them. I know we have the talent to be dominant, but I wasn’t sure it we were playing at that level and/or if RSL is that awful??? They looked abysmal, and coming in to the match, I was under the impression they were supposed to be decent (like a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10) - we made them look like a 1.5 at best. And by the end of the match, they changed their game to play really physical which wasn’t necessary being down 4 with 10 min to go. But whatever, our boys threw down early and there was never any doubt.
They were that bad, truly terrible. Two guys couldn't contain Anton Tinnerholm, shocking finishing, no desire, Beckerman booked for mouthing off, and throw in a fat useless goalie for yucks.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Hey, look..... we actually scored more than 2 goals!!! Two-squared!!!!

And we not only have the top offense, and Goal differential, but we have the top defense - 4 GA in 6 matches. That’s crazy!

They were that bad, truly terrible. Two guys couldn't contain Anton Tinnerholm, shocking finishing, no desire, Beckerman booked for mouthing off, and throw in a fat useless goalie for yucks.
Seemed like Beckerman mouthing off was as much frustration with the match as it was with his teammates. He’s fallen considerably from his former level, and his teammate looked like they’d be beaten by our academy kids.

Reactions: QuigrNYCFC
- Those balls over the top from Maxi to Tinnerholm were exquisite. I can't even remember how many times Tinnerholm was sprung with that play.
- Ofori wasn't allowed to hold the ball for more than two seconds. He was dumping that thing off like it would explode if he held it or moved too far with it. Salute to PV for setting him up to be successful.
- Ring is omniscient. He is always in the right place and so in control of the game.
- Jo Inge finally got one! I was getting really frustrated with him so I hope that this is the confidence builder that he needed to get rolling. I also enjoy seeing him link up with Ring and Tinnerholm off the pitch.
- Ismael Tajouri-Shradi is tearing it up. LOVE this player.
- Mata looked SHARP.
- Maxi was everywhere. He is so very good.
- I was sad to see Callens come off and have the streak broken but I have to find comfort in knowing that he CAN. He's been so important for us. So much respect for him.
- RSL was terrible.

Great confidence building game for the team. I hope that energy carries over to ATL on Sunday. We most certainly will need it.

Hey, look..... we actually scored more than 2 goals!!! Two-squared!!!!

And we not only have the top offense, and Goal differential, but we have the top defense - 4 GA in 6 matches. That’s crazy!

If we have the top offense and top defense, it’s not crazy we have the top goal differential. That’s just math.

4-0 win after the Tinder sponsorship was announced?

Man City is getting fucked.

NYCFC is fucking their opponents.

Continuing on the Tinder story...

We had 669 passes tonight.
giphy.gif

Finally got a chance to go to a match. And what a match it was. Total domination from start to finish. Callens and Chanot really controlled things at the back.

It was interesting seeing Ofori as far back as he was. Haven't had much of a chance to catch our most recent matches, but I thought he did a good job getting the ball to our midfielders.

It was a joy watching Tinnerholm and Taijuri go to work on the right side. Feels like every time they get the ball something good is going to happen.

Mata and Medina were good from the left. Not quite great, although I really liked Medina's motor. Mata looked a lot better today than he has in recent memory.

Maxi got a well deserved MOTM. Made a nuisance of himself whenever he had the opportunity and did a spectacular job distributing the ball to the wings.

Sean Johnson did Sean Johnson things in the few times he was called upon.

We are really, really, really good.

What a performance.

By the way, did anyone notice the ridiculous move Matarrita made on the far sideline to set up Ofori's goal? He flipped the ball over the opponent, chased it down, gave it to Medina, who got it to Maxi. That move by Matarrita was INSANE. If you haven't seen it, find it somehow.

Great to see Berget get one. His first touch was still a little awkward, but he makes up for it with his excellent positioning. Always knows where to be.

Good luck to Vieira trying to pick an XI on Sunday -- there's a lot of guys who deserve to be on the pitch against Atlanta. What a team we have this year.

I'll have to watch the replay to study our build-up, but our domination in this match seemed to be all about how our fullbacks were essentially camped in their half, like a foot on their neck. Maybe RSL's midfield is weak, but Ofori and Maxi were able to keep the ball and work it forward almost at will.

Berget looked like a different player. His movement was just as tireless as it has been, but he actually looked like he wanted the ball. Tried and failed to get a "that's my barista" chant going. It helped that he wasn't as isolated as he has been in the past. Since Mata and Tinder were so far up the pitch, Medina and Shradi were able to push inside and overlap and mess with RSL's backline at will.

It's been so long since that we've seen that level of aggression from our fullbacks that I'd forgotten that it was possible for us (or anybody, really) to play that dominantly. And to think that we were pleased with White and Sweat. Like said above, the one thing I'm suspicious of is how easily we were able to give Mata and Tinder the time to get up the field. I'm not convinced that Atlanta will be that easy to keep the ball against, but it was fun to watch.

But yeah, we could be really fucking good this year. With Villa back, maybe we keep Berget and Shradi. I really liked the way Medina looked more centrally. Imagine playing him as the #10, Maxi as the #8 and Ring as the #6. I could also imagine Ofori replacing Herrera on the basis of his trajectory. Shradi is really starting to lock down a slot in the front three. Has he missed a shot on goal yet? As soon as I realized it was him at the top of the box, I expected a goal. Probably our best finisher, including Villa, on current form.