SKC Postmatch

I don't know whether to applaud the great defensive performance (there literally was one chance aside from set pieces) or how much of that is due to SKC's ineffectiveness going forward.

Case in point (and this by no means is to pick on Pirlo, just one incident), there was a moment in the first half when Pirlo didn't close down an SKC player outside the 18, who dribbled to set himself up for a shot and then blasted it six feet over the bar. Eerily similar to the play that Giovinco put in the back of the net.

On another day a more skilled team might be able to put 1-2 in (but then again a worse defensive team than SKC might have let 2-3 in).

Also, anyone else catch Pirlo pulling his best Marshawn Lynch impression and stiff-arm one of the SKC midfielders while he had the ball? Happened a few moments after Jack scored, I literally looked up through the smoke and see him somehow out-strengthen an opposing player. He was a man possessed last night.

I don't know whether to applaud the great defensive performance (there literally was one chance aside from set pieces) or how much of that is due to SKC's ineffectiveness going forward.

Case in point (and this by no means is to pick on Pirlo, just one incident), there was a moment in the first half when Pirlo didn't close down an SKC player outside the 18, who dribbled to set himself up for a shot and then blasted it six feet over the bar. Eerily similar to the play that Giovinco put in the back of the net.

On another day a more skilled team might be able to put 1-2 in (but then again a worse defensive team than SKC might have let 2-3 in).
Last night looked a lot more to me that SKC was REALLY bad offensively, than our mish mosh was actually good. in my mind, we can finally thank Jason Kreis for a win, because if Dom Dwyer was playing last night I bet the score would have been different.

My DirecTV DVR is set to automatically record every NYCFC game, which usually works, although it depends on how each network identifies the game. Late yesterday afternoon word came out that the Yankee game was cancelled and the NYCFC game would be shown live. So I used the DTV app to tell my DVR to record the program designated as the Yankee game, hoping to get the NYCFC game.
I checked last night after getting home and found that YES and DTV were completely on top of things and changed the program designation so my DVR not only recorded the game but had it properly marked.
But, my DVR also recorded 3.5 hours of a static screen showing the DirecTV logo and telling me the Yankee game was cancelled.

Okoli was unlucky; hit the post and then the missed open goal walk in.

I take the missed an open goal part back. Watched the lead up and he had every intention to dummy or flick that ball on. He pointed Khiry to a position and Khiry blew it.

Edit: It may have even nicked Melia's hand for a slight deflection.

Shelton is complete crap.

Every time he touched the ball I ended up cringing at the sequence immediately following. None more so than when he gets the ball on the wing late in the 2nd half and his defender slips and falls flat. He has all the space in the world to get into the box and maybe get tackled from behind for a penalty if not get the ball into a scoring position for an assist.

I don't think he has the soccer IQ to play in our system.

Vieira set the B side up very very well to compete, was really impressed with their execution.
Nothing new but the things that get called and don't get called in this league are inexplicable. To some extent I wish PV would have a blowup over the non-calls on Maxi since goading refs seems to have worked for Whining Jesse in the past.
Shelton is just so hopelessly inept, he's not worth keeping around. If someone can be fooled into believing in his potential and trading for him or if he can be sacrificed in the expansion draft that would be perfect.

Just as we hit the full 90:00 mark and they announced 3 extra minutes, an SKC player went down and play did not resume for the better part of a minute. Still, the ref called time at about 2:50 of added time. I mean, it was raining and SKC was inept on offense and the ref probably figured let's just get out of here But I did want to note that we do occasionally get a break on stuff like this.

i understand that Okoli is supposed to be a target man but that doesnt discount the fact that hes still lazy. There were multiple times when he was too lazy to even get back onside. We stole the ball and could have gone on a counter a few times but Ugo was still offside so we didnt even have the option to play the ball to him. Also for a target man youre supposed to win at least some of the aerial battles when the ball is coming right to you. He got out bodied almost every single time.

Now i dont think Stertzer is the better player and he clearly had fresh legs at the end of the game. But him actually running and putting pressure on their back line i thought made a huge difference in how we played.

Just as we hit the full 90:00 mark and they announced 3 extra minutes, an SKC player went down and play did not resume for the better part of a minute. Still, the ref called time at about 2:50 of added time. I mean, it was raining and SKC was inept on offense and the ref probably figured let's just get out of here But I did want to note that we do occasionally get a break on stuff like this.
Agree completely on this and at the time thought it was a little odd. I usually start a stopwatch app on my phone when the clock hits 90 minutes just so I can have an approximate idea of how much time is left and they almost always go over. Never seen a ref call it early. And that's not even counting that extra minute you mentioned.

Hasn't been updated in three years, still works great:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bigstopwatch/id301615836?mt=8

, I felt Okoli's holdup play was poor. He was frequently dispossessed
This was the worst thing he did. It was bad, bad, bad.

BUT...
Unlike many, I thought Shelton put in a good shift, better at least than Lewis. He made some nice runs on the left and put in a couple of dangerous balls.
I didn't see that at all. I saw hesitancy, timidity, lack of conviction and confidence and skill, unwillingness to use his physical advantage and generalized shittiness disorder.

It's hard to judge Ugo playing in this set up after being spoiled by Villa. Villa is special. Villa plays the striker position as a hybrid. Idk if Ugo is lazy yet or if that's his game. He plays a more relaxed poacher style striker you'd see in a 4-3-3, but he's out of position a lot. That's because he's still learning or too lazy to come back. The only defensive pressure he provided was when Opara was offensive. He has strength, but his holding power diminished as the game went on. I think he'd be a good pairing with someone like Villa in a 2 forward role.