Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Why would they end it? CFG uses Etihad to funnel money from the Sheik to the CFG teams semi-off the books. I mean, that's probably harder to do in MLS, but still, it seems silly to drop Etihad.
Who sponsors doesn't really matter. It's not like we are skirting FFP like Man City is using Ethiad money. NYCFC is mainly a PR play for UAE IMHO.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Of course they are, but that is a Man City/UEFA issue not an NYCFC issue. My point is NYCFC doesn't have to hide where we get our money from like Man City.
It does need to stay in the back of our minds though. UAE is rife with political risks. If the winds blow the wrong way, Etihad money coming into the US gets scrutinized or restricted, possibly destroying our budget.

It does need to stay in the back of our minds though. UAE is rife with political risks. If the winds blow the wrong way, Etihad money coming into the US gets scrutinized or restricted, possibly destroying our budget.
It’s really too bad Bezos isn’t a mega footy fan. Let him buy the club. We’d be assured of having a tightly run organization with ruthless efficiency. No more wondering when the STH package will arrive. No more wondering when players signed in the transfer window will receive their work permit- it’ll be routed from DC and meet the player precisely at their airport curbside as they’re getting out of their car for the flight stateside. Need refreshments during the game, hit your reorder button on the app and a beer is delivered to your seat. Miss the match because you’re traveling, download the game via prime video.

It’s really too bad Bezos isn’t a mega footy fan. Let him buy the club. We’d be assured of having a tightly run organization with ruthless efficiency. No more wondering when the STH package will arrive. No more wondering when players signed in the transfer window will receive their work permit- it’ll be routed from DC and meet the player precisely at their airport curbside as they’re getting out of their car for the flight stateside. Need refreshments during the game, hit your reorder button on the app and a beer is delivered to your seat. Miss the match because you’re traveling, download the game via prime video.
They also already did the MCFC documentary on Prime Video.....I think we are onto something here!

Bathrooms would be locked during run of play, the players would be pulled from the pitch 5 minutes before achieving any minutes-based incentives, players would be forced to wear biometric trackers (oh, wait), the union rep would be benched...

Bathrooms would be locked during run of play, the players would be pulled from the pitch 5 minutes before achieving any minutes-based incentives, players would be forced to wear biometric trackers (oh, wait), the union rep would be benched...
It’ll all be worth it to ensure we never Fck up like Orlando did by playing a player just a little too much without realizing it triggered an automatic option.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Why would they end it? CFG uses Etihad to funnel money from the Sheik to the CFG teams semi-off the books. I mean, that's probably harder to do in MLS, but still, it seems silly to drop Etihad.

I was merely speculating since their sponsorship was a 5 year deal. I know Man City has a 10 year deal for a few more years. That was a huge $$ deal and has been scrutinized. I'm pretty sure MLS has some kind of partnership with Etihad from a year or two ago too

The Etihad shirt sponsorship deal does nothing for our Club. We can't spend the money. There are no books to cook.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
The Etihad shirt sponsorship deal does nothing for our Club. We can't spend the money. There are no books to cook.
It does nothing for our club, but it does a lot for Etihad since they get that much more marketing space.

I just want to know what’s the tipping point is for the Etihad band of companies and their sponsorship of the CFG umbrella of teams??? That airline is a money pit with failing routes being serviced by expensive tricked-out aircraft. I get it that the Royal family wants to branch out anticipating the day their natural resources run dry, but this airline and tourism companies geared towards their middle-east oasis is a dicey venture that hasn’t really grabbed a sustainable market share (with respect to how much money is being sunk into the CFG conglomerate). There has to be a better business venture/model out there that isn’t relying on tourism to to a country with a dubious (at best) humanitarian track record, because there could easily be a PR reckoning in the future that makes their oasis undesirable. And every year of the sponsorship draws down their (probably not) endless reserves.

All the more reason to get a new sponsor on board, not affiliated with the royal family and any baggage associated with them. A sponsor not named Etihad would also have better optics within NYS/NYC with regard to the stadium approval.

It does nothing for our club, but it does a lot for Etihad since they get that much more marketing space.

I just want to know what’s the tipping point is for the Etihad band of companies and their sponsorship of the CFG umbrella of teams??? That airline is a money pit with failing routes being serviced by expensive tricked-out aircraft. I get it that the Royal family wants to branch out anticipating the day their natural resources run dry, but this airline and tourism companies geared towards their middle-east oasis is a dicey venture that hasn’t really grabbed a sustainable market share (with respect to how much money is being sunk into the CFG conglomerate). There has to be a better business venture/model out there that isn’t relying on tourism to to a country with a dubious (at best) humanitarian track record, because there could easily be a PR reckoning in the future that makes their oasis undesirable. And every year of the sponsorship draws down their (probably not) endless reserves.

All the more reason to get a new sponsor on board, not affiliated with the royal family and any baggage associated with them. A sponsor not named Etihad would also have better optics within NYS/NYC with regard to the stadium approval.
For sure there is the "this business model seems like a ton of fun but not very materially useful, so they may drop it" risk. There is also the "if it doesn't seem materially useful, I wonder what we are missing behind the scenes" concern. I suspect that the soft power play on all us proles is secondary to the influence play on other HNWI and / or elected officials. And what are they doing with this influence?

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack