Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
The sponsorship isn't ending anytime soon. What may happen which was discussed elsewhere on the Forums was that Emirates may purchase Etihad and that will completely change the dynamic of the financial relationship between the Etihad and CFG.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-exploring-etihad-deal-to-forge-no-1-airline

https://gulfnews.com/business/aviat...ad-uk-remains-vital-market-emirates-1.2294453

They've categorically denied this is happening, obviously taken with the usual salt that things are true until they aren't

Reactions: Kjbert
true! I was thinking JetBlue because they're HQ is here, the color in their name, and an airline like Etihad haha
Yeah, that’s why I always included them, and they’d be fitting and hip-cool as a sponsor, but as a company they’re small-pocketed. That’s why it’d be nice to leverage Apple in the Big Apple - that’s a company with deep pockets.

Reactions: LostAnvil and adam
It does nothing for our club, but it does a lot for Etihad since they get that much more marketing space.

I just want to know what’s the tipping point is for the Etihad band of companies and their sponsorship of the CFG umbrella of teams??? That airline is a money pit with failing routes being serviced by expensive tricked-out aircraft. I get it that the Royal family wants to branch out anticipating the day their natural resources run dry, but this airline and tourism companies geared towards their middle-east oasis is a dicey venture that hasn’t really grabbed a sustainable market share (with respect to how much money is being sunk into the CFG conglomerate). There has to be a better business venture/model out there that isn’t relying on tourism to to a country with a dubious (at best) humanitarian track record, because there could easily be a PR reckoning in the future that makes their oasis undesirable. And every year of the sponsorship draws down their (probably not) endless reserves.

All the more reason to get a new sponsor on board, not affiliated with the royal family and any baggage associated with them. A sponsor not named Etihad would also have better optics within NYS/NYC with regard to the stadium approval.

The only way we get a new sponsor is if the ownership group changes.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Yeah, that’s why I always included them, and they’d be fitting and hip-cool as a sponsor, but as a company they’re small-pocketed. That’s why it’d be nice to leverage Apple in the Big Apple - that’s a company with deep pockets.
I just want Terra blue chips in my STH package

As a counterpoint to the cautious optimism here, another Reddit item, in the form of a comment to the big post I lnked to in the Social Media thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/NYCFC/comments/9xbdfm/2018_state_of_the_club/e9r3j4z

here is the middle of 3 paragraphs:
"Absolutely NOTHING has the club's footprint on it - focus groups don't mean jack. There's been no FO signatures on anything, no land speculation by any architectural firms or real estate companies acting on our behalf, and nothing regarding filing re: permits, zoning, etc."

Maybe the folks here with experience in local construction, development, real estate, etc can comment as to how hard it is to keep these things under wraps. Also, I'm not sure he's accurate about the lack of info re real estate companies. The NYT and Real Deal articles were about exactly that.

Reactions: Kjbert
It can go one of two ways, IMO:

Option A - CFG try to get into bed with Amazon to develop the area even further, create even more affordable housing, etc. and everyone loves the plan because it'll create a new urban hot spot in Queens (With the HQ/stadium will come bars, restaurants, etc.)

or

Option B - The city only gives Amazon a small piece of land in which to build on, says stick to this and these are the areas where the adorable housing goes and calls it a day. This option i highly doubt will have any effect on NYCFC stadium efforts.

Never happening. Ever. Do you see the amount of local community pushback Amazon is getting? Do you think CFG or any developed will be building a mega arena without any tax breaks?

The folks on here who actually believed the club was going to get its own stadium have been sold a lie. Anything out of the front office's mouth about a stadium development is a lie unless they finally say there are no plans.

I've tried to tell numerous people on here that it's never happening and we're all being lied to. Wake up.

Never happening. Ever. Do you see the amount of local community pushback Amazon is getting? Do you think CFG or any developed will be building a mega arena without any tax breaks?

The folks on here who actually believed the club was going to get its own stadium have been sold a lie. Anything out of the front office's mouth about a stadium development is a lie unless they finally say there are no plans.

I've tried to tell numerous people on here that it's never happening and we're all being lied to. Wake up.
Oh look, he's back.

I bet you it does happen. Name the price!