Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Even in a best case scenario the footprint of the Project is probably going to be a tough fit for a soccer stadium
Unless it goes to Willets in which case I think there would be more room for a stadium right?

Surely they can find room to fit another 5k in.
Ah yes, the beauty of how easy it is to fit 5,000 more seats into a crammed space

Reactions: Kjbert
On Tuesday, Brad Sims sounded VERY confident this was getting done.

Now this article, which makes it sound like the new mayor is going to do what he can to push it through.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there seems to be a lot of smoke starting to build again. And if the new mayor makes this a priority -- and considering Sims wants a new stadium open by 2026 -- it certainly feels like if this is happening, it could happen soon. A stadium open by 2026 probably means something needs to start happening at some point in 2022.

If this is as simple as Levine fucking with De Blasio one more time
... then fuck levine!

I'd still prefer queens, though. I won't complain no matter where in the city we get a stadium, however.

What the city really needs is some sort of shuttle train of some sort that operates from queens to the bronx, because otherwise I think we ain't getting many queens fans to the games.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
... then fuck levine!

I'd still prefer queens, though. I won't complain no matter where in the city we get a stadium, however.

What the city really needs is some sort of shuttle train of some sort that operates from queens to the bronx, because otherwise I think we ain't getting many queens fans to the games.
It's a brutal trip. I used to be able to take the Q50 right outside my front door in the BX and get to Main Street in flushing in 20 minutes, then a stop or two on the 7, which made it really easy, but beyond being in the perfect spot, Bronx-Queens travel is brutal.

Except Staten Island. Might as well be in NJ.
I mean, I think that was implied.

It's a brutal trip. I used to be able to take the Q50 right outside my front door in the BX and get to Main Street in flushing in 20 minutes, then a stop or two on the 7, which made it really easy, but beyond being in the perfect spot, Bronx-Queens travel is brutal.
Exactly. I know bronx-queens isn't a very common trip, but the team is going to have a hard time attracting bronx natives to queens for games, and queens natives to bronx for games.

I think queens has the bigger soccer fanbase, so Queens would be the better location.

Remember that the September 2019 term sheet (which didn’t include any binding details), said “a minimum capacity of approximately 30,000 seats”.

Obviously that was 2 years ago and the word “approximately” provides leeway, and plans can change, but based on that language, it sounds like 30k is doable in at least different versions of stadium plans in that location.

I mean, I think that was implied.

Exactly. I know bronx-queens isn't a very common trip, but the team is going to have a hard time attracting bronx natives to queens for games, and queens natives to bronx for games.

I think queens has the bigger soccer fanbase, so Queens would be the better location.
Fine by me! Either is pretty easy from Westchester. The only reason Queens wouldn’t be a better location is then you may have to do a lot of rebuilding with your fan base and season ticket holders who are not willing to go to queens. Plus, just because Queens has a potentially “larger soccer fan base” doesn’t mean they would sign on to the team. Many of those people will be already following their other team in the big euro leagues or their local teams in South America and Mexico or in other parts of the world.

Remember that the September 2019 term sheet (which didn’t include any binding details), said “a minimum capacity of approximately 30,000 seats”.

Obviously that was 2 years ago and the word “approximately” provides leeway, and plans can change, but based on that language, it sounds like 30k is doable in at least different versions of stadium plans in that location.
Would that be the largest purpose built soccer stadium in the USA and Canada?

It would depend on how you define BMO Field in that category. It was a purpose built soccer stadium in the low 20k range, and went through multiple expansions, some of which were not solely driven by soccer (NHL Winter matches, CFL title matches etc.)
I believe it's current capacity is closer to 40k.

Edit: They have multiple configurations using retractable or removable seats. Looks like regular MLS capacity is around 30k, with available expansion to 40k.

Last edited:
Reactions: JCMore and Kjbert
Appears that way. Based on a quick scan of US stadiums only on Wikipedia, TQL (Cincy) is at 26k, RBA is just over 25k, Providence Park slightly more, Exploria 25.5k, LAG at 27k.

Most everything else is 22k and under

ETA: didn’t consider stadiums not yet built as M moogoo pointed out with Nashville. Not sure what plans are for St Louis (I’m imagining not terribly large) or Charlotte

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe it was just a de Blasio issue for the Yankees and they didn't want to consummate the deal until the new administration commenced. It was peculiar how they found some 12th hour excuse to scuttle the deal. Remember that de Blasio is a Red Sox fan and renowned Yankees hater. Levine is a petty a-hole. Let's hope it simply was a personal thing and we are back in business in a few weeks. (I'm just working on a spin that makes me feel better here).

This is what I was thinking too. It certainly makes more sense than the Yankees abstractly scuttling the deal for a seemingly minor reason (parking spaces that go unused anyway). I speculated earlier in this thread that the Yankees were doing it simply because they could, in order to get more money out of *someone*. Today, that someone seems likely to be the mayor eating the garage debt or something.

I don't know if there are other major construction projects out there, but this is also a nearly ready-to-go, highly visible "victory" for Adams to tout nearly day 1 of his administration.

Appears that way. Based on a quick scan of US stadiums only on Wikipedia, TQL (Cincy) is at 26k, RBA is just over 25k, Providence Park slightly more, Exploria 25.5k, LAG at 27k.

Most everything else is 22k and under

ETA: didn’t consider stadiums not yet built as M moogoo pointed out with Nashville. Not sure what plans are for St Louis (I’m imagining not terribly large) or Charlotte

charlotte will be playing at a modified bank of america stadium. i wouldn't consider that a SSS though. their capacity for soccer is planned to be 40k (the lower bowl of the stadium). last I remember reading is they aren't going to be building their own SSS, though that could change in the future.

st louis's new stadium is planned to be 22,500 capacity.

nashville's new stadium will be 30k. only reason i knew this so quickly was because twellman mentioned it during an interview i saw and it stuck in my mind that he said it would be the largest SSS in the country when it opens.

I engaged in a debate over this on Twitter, and someone made a very good point.

I said that it was always strange that such a carefully negotiated, complex deal got derailed over a minor disagreement with no attempt to reopen negotiations. I said it seemed to me that the consortium probably thought they could negotiate a better deal out of Adams and were willing to push things off 9 months.

Someone replied saying to the effect of - it's never a good idea to finalize a deal under an outgoing administration, because the new administration will have different priorities and the incentive to kill the deal and try to renegotiate. He cited our deal with Bloomberg being killed by Deblasio and other deals with Giuliani being killed by Bloomberg.

This makes total sense. Even if we didn't think we were going to get a better deal from Adams, it is better to wait and let him take the credit. In fact I would be very surprised if the consortium hasn't been having regular contact with that administration since the summer so that it knows the outlines of a deal with them.

I said that it was always strange that such a carefully negotiated, complex deal got derailed over a minor disagreement with no attempt to reopen negotiations. I said it seemed to me that the consortium probably thought they could negotiate a better deal out of Adams and were willing to push things off 9 months.

Someone replied saying to the effect of - it's never a good idea to finalize a deal under an outgoing administration, because the new administration will have different priorities and the incentive to kill the deal and try to renegotiate. He cited our deal with Bloomberg being killed by Deblasio and other deals with Giuliani being killed by Bloomberg.

This makes total sense. Even if we didn't think we were going to get a better deal from Adams, it is better to wait and let him take the credit. In fact I would be very surprised if the consortium hasn't been having regular contact with that administration since the summer so that it knows the outlines of a deal with them.
And that also lines up with why the Yankees were pushing for the vote in June. They didn't want certain items to be voted on by a completely new administration after so much effort had been used on the current one.

What does your wife think about this variant? Just had a convo with a NYC ER doctor. His mindset is we need to get over Omicron. For the vaxxed population, it’s very mild. He said the ER visits are all unvaxxed. And variant has mutated to share traits with a common cold - and that’s a good thing for an endemic virus.

What does your wife think about this variant? Just had a convo with a NYC ER doctor. His mindset is we need to get over Omicron. For the vaxxed population, it’s very mild. He said the ER visits are all unvaxxed. And variant has mutated to share traits with a common cold - and that’s a good thing for an endemic virus.
The concern I (not a doctor) have is, with this variant being so highly transmissible and therefore very likely to mutate, what will the next variant look like?