UCL 17/18 Knockout Rounds (Draw and Matches)

Mo Salah is amazing as a player but hes antisemitic so i will never like him as a person. To say hes breaking down cultural barriers when he refuses to even shake hands with Jewish players is a bit of an insult.
I remember the incident but didn’t realize that was him. In any event, I don’t want to turn this into a debate on Israel and just posted as relevant commentary on his influence on and off the field. Nice going me.

Last edited:
I just read that. This doesn't appear that gesture was anti-semitic as much as it is anti-Israel. Not sure if that changes anything for anyone here or not, but I think its an important clarification.

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to necessarily read in anti-semitism from the conduct described in the article, although it could be circumstantial evidence of it. It could also be circumstantial evidence of him trying to awkwardly balance being sportsmanlike with appeasing anti-semites back in Egypt. Which, to be fair, isn't exactly commendable behavior either, but there is a distinction.

just google Mo Salah Jews... plenty of instances and info on it.

Heres one link https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...rounding-chelseas-latest-signing-9081607.html
I don't envy players from either Israel or the arab world when it comes to the (rare) instances in which they have to navigate the political minefield of playing against one another. In terms of interacting with players from the other "side" there's almost no way to win with people back home. I'd be curious to see how Salah would treat a similar situation now that he's a world-class superstar with some personal clout rather than a journeyman yet to make a mark.

Obviously I don't generally condone giving the cold shoulder to your opponents for political or religious reasons (though if his opponent had been Beitar rather than Maccabi I'd probably be pretty okay with it), but I do have some sympathy for trying to find some kind of middle ground which wouldn't cause him serious grief back home.

Additionally, at least on the first page of Google results, this incident with Basel is the only thing I can find on the topic.

I just read that. This doesn't appear that gesture was anti-semitic as much as it is anti-Israel. Not sure if that changes anything for anyone here or not, but I think its an important clarification.

Most anti-semites are anti-Israel. I understand the distinction you’re making but as a practical matter, it seems like a distinction without a difference.

Not shaking hands with Israeli players is more of a personal snub than a political statements IMHO.

Either way, with this being the case, I’m happy he’s not playing in Serie A or MLS.

Most anti-semites are anti-Israel. I understand the distinction you’re making but as a practical matter, it seems like a distinction without a difference.
Ok, I get that most anti-Semites are probably anti-Israel, but that doesn't mean that anti-Israel then means anti-semitic.

Is there anything about him not shaking hands with Jewish players that didn't play for Tel Aviv? Did he not get along with Roman Abramovich when he was with Chelsea?

Apologies to tangentize this, I just err on the side of caution before labeling someone in a certain manner when it isn't clear in my eyes (and perhaps I haven't seen the examples above).

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think the distinction is that one can be pro-Palestinian and say they have a right to exist and to have a homeland without having to also be anti-Isreali or anti-semitic.

It's exactly the same as being pro-Native American doesn't at all imply you're anti-American. There's not necessarily any connection (or conflict) between having both of those positions.

Ok, I get that most anti-Semites are probably anti-Israel, but that doesn't mean that anti-Israel then means anti-semitic.

Is there anything about him not shaking hands with Jewish players that didn't play for Tel Aviv? Did he not get along with Roman Abramovich when he was with Chelsea?

Apologies to tangentize this, I just err on the side of caution before labeling someone in a certain manner when it isn't clear in my eyes (and perhaps I haven't seen the examples above).

You are totally correct on the first point. Could you be right he’s anti-Israel but not anti- Semitic? Absolutely. It is possible.

But i’m highly skeptical as this usually isn’t this case. we’re talking about a club team, not a national team.

If a Jewish player didn’t shake hands with a Palestinian, i would have the same reaction.

giphy.gif