Why Did You Become A Nycfc Fan?

I've been a fan of soccer since some of my earlier memories, and some of my more clear memories come from having played it and having watched international games with family, though that didn't extend into Club soccer until maybe my teens. My eyes drifted to the attractive lands of soccer across the ocean, where my heart was won for better or worse by Liverpool FC [and to a lesser extent MCFC, they used to be a small club which i cheered for and used to get lots of Americans and former Liverpool players! It's been more difficult to balance my love for them in recent years, with their slight change in fortunes and that title race in 13/14.]

But I never really could get into MLS, I don't really know what it was, maybe a little bit of snobbery due to the level of what I saw the game here at the time, and more. But over the years that improved [still not quite where i'd like it, but tings are definitely on the up in a lot of ways.] And just a lot of things which I still don't like or understand, e.g. drafts, all star game, salary caps, to name a few.
But I tried to get into the MLS wanting to have a team out here for me to support, try as I might I couldn't get into the RBNJ, and so I looked around for other possibly attractive options, the Pacific northwest teams had a great atmosphere from their fans, which i wanted to see from all our teams so I hoped that could do it, but like many of my ideas and plans no deal.
And then I heard murmurs of a NY team in the works possibly, and thought this could be my chance at last my chance to find and have a local team for me to support! But quickly as my other attempts I'd just let it go by for a bit, but always coming back wondering if it would ever happen, and then in the days before the announcement i heard of it again, and decided this time would be different, and from that point I started getting myself more invested in the news about the team wondering who we'd sign, and all the other things i'm sure many of us have gone through. Being able to been there through the various steps of growth this Club has gone though and is continuing to go through, has definitely helped at least for me create some sense of attachment and community.
And then the moment of truth our starting season I actually started to watch and it's been difficult at times. Remembering when we were playing and the times was a struggle at first too, especially for someone who'd never made it through a full MLS match before. That winless streak was rough, but having made it through that I'm as hooked as ever on our team. Trying to watch, if not listen to every match I can, and feverishly checking up on news and more.

They have the ability to affect my mood for the day based on how we go just like any good sport team should!
And here I am a confused and barely Mets fan actually cheering for some team playing out of Yankee Stadium, and loving every bit of atmosphere we try to create to set us apart from how sterile and quiet so many of our other sports are.

Edit: Just noticed how old this thread was! Shoulda checked that before the post and resurrecting it! :eek:

Last edited:
I don't live in NYC nor have I ever actually been to New York. I live on the west coast about an hour north of Los Angeles (Yes, big Galaxy support out here). I attempted to watch the Galaxy with Beckham and Donovan and even when Keane came around. I never understood why, but I couldn't feel passionate about the LAG I had no idea if it was the jerseys, players, coaches or environment. I like other LA teams Kings, Clippers, Dodgers, and I've never liked an east coast team before. I saw that there was a new expansion team coming and that David Villa was on the team and I became interested in following the process to come, since I've followed Barca for years now. Once I got into the whole thing I liked the vibe of the culture coming along with the team and ultimately became a fan. I'm excited for the future of this team and I hope to see them when they play the Galaxy in a few weeks!

This is when everyone flames me for not living in NYC :(

From New Jersey. I have always hated the Red Bulls. Past few years for college I have been in Indiana for half the year but the Fire are impossible to support. I have always played soccer and love soccer so when I heard NYC was getting a real team to go with me loosely supporting MCFC it only made sense.

Growing up, I've always been a huge fan of the USMNT. Its something that I've had with my brother and dad growing up. One of my favorite memories was waking up around 2:30am to watch the USA beat Portugal in the 2002 World Cup.

But I've never really felt tied to any club. I spent some time growing up in the Chicago area and went to a few games, but I didn't really care all that much and I was still all about american football. Several years ago, my brother was living in Seattle and had become a Sounders fan. He got me to get out there for a game and it was hands down the most fun I have ever had at a sporting event (across college bball in student sections, NFL games, MLB, NBA, NHL). It was a ton of fun, but I lived in DC at the time, I wasn't going to become a Sounders fan.

So my interest in the MLS grew a bit, I somewhat paid attention to DC United, but again, my interest never really took off. Then I moved to NYC, but again, wasn't really that interested in MLS. But my interest in the USMNT started growing and around that time I spent 8 months in Mexico City for work and went to a couple of matches at Estadio Azteca. Still wasn't paying much attention to MLS, when my brother sent me a note, "NYC is getting a brand new MLS team." I looked into it, seemed like it was off to a great start, and convinced one of my roommates to get season tix with me.

Now I can't miss a game.

I always followed the USMNT too. After the first game I saw in person which was one of the first events held at the newly constructed Giant Stadium (Met Life Stadium) right after the 2010 world cup. The USMNT played Brazil which ended up basically being their youth team. Their youth team beat us 2-0 some young kid named Neymar scored. I sat in the outlaw section and I was hooked. I tried watching MLS after that but had no teams I cared for (hated the red bulls) I really couldn't get into it. I kept saying I wanted to go to a Red Bull game since it was the closest one and had so much fun at the one game I went to but going to Jersey is a pain in the ass. I heard about NYCFC right after last years World Cup and I was immediately all in.

Last edited:
is there necroposting going on? well sure!

i've wanted to get into mls/soccer generally for a long time. i lived in chicago and tried to get my college roomies into the fire just as they moved to fucking bridgeview. couldn't get into the epl - the epl people in the midwest were just so awful. eurosnobs that had never been to europe wearing man u or arsenal kits. how was i supposed to pick an epl team when i hadn't been to england and had no connection to any of them? so i basically gave up. was in michigan for three years and i'm pretty sure no one knows what soccer is there.

came to nyc and felt no connection with RB and no desire to go to fucking harrison. was following nycfc rumors and announcements from the beginning. far before villa or lamps was mentioned. didn't love the yankees connection but i was still super into it. and here i am.

Being a MCFC fan for 63 years I had to be interested in NYCFC Although the team is new you certainly show us a thing or two. Fantastic.

Too be fair, tough to be a front-runner with the the record this team has. Sounds more like a Yankee fan, like me. I always liked teams that are not embarrassed to say we're from NYC and we are going to spend/act like we are from NYC. Big city should equal big time... New Yorkers should be trendsetters, not lemmings.

It is an appealing part of NYCFC/CFG, but the main reason I support NYCFC is that it the one true New York team. I have been waiting a long time for that and I am not disappointed.

Yankistas Unite!

yankee_fan_rings.jpg

NYCFC haven't won enough to have a bandwagon to jump on yet! Hopefully soon that changes (this fall) I hope.

Born in NYC in 1978. Parents separated and shipped me back to their country Colombia during the crazy pablo escobar days in 1989. Lol

Best thing that ever happened to me. I arrived as a hopeless young yankee fan and was introduced to FUTBOL. Wow that really woke me up and changed my life.

At the age of ten i celebrated colombia tying germany in the last second of a world cup game (school closed for a week). Then Atletico Nacional won the copa libertadores and it went nuts in my city, Medellin (school closed for a week).

Man do i have stories of those days. Hanging out with players, parties, street games with Rene Higuita, 4 to 5 pickup games in the street, in the sand and in the grass. Everything in my enviornment was about soccer and it took over my life.

So i grew up and when i turned 18 i realized i was always picked to be the goalie bc i sucked and needed to head back to my first love, America.

Now I am 38 and just up until this year i had only felt those childhood sensations when landon donovan scored in south africa or john brooks in brazil, or a few other games here and there. Yes i have attended some metrostar games but they just never felt home to me.

I am 36 now and take my daughter with me to every game. She's ten and probably tired of my stories. But i get chills watching her yell at the ref, poku for not passing the ball or the other team for wasting time.

I love this sport and just really happy about where this league is going and how my city NYC has its very first team.

Sorry for the long post.

So in other words you're not a fan at all and don't give a crap about the team. Got it.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome Seth, but no criticism accepted. I am a fan of the soccer sport. and would love to see my local team do well. But they have to earn my loyalty first. I belong to the school that every action has to have consequence, i will not give blind loyalty. If the club does well, I will spend my money (for my own satisfaction and a win-win) if they make make mistakes there will be consequences and I will lose my interest. Seems fair to me that way and it does mean that I do give a crap. in my opinion, their attendance, revenue/sales should be directly correlated to how well they do and how much they delight their fans (who have varying degree of sensitivites to club's performance, some are less and some are more). just how things ought to be

I have been a Yankee fan for almost 40 years.

I worked with the NYRB's Luis Robles once a couple years ago and he made me a NYRB fan.

I went to one NYRB game in 2014, but it was a huge pain in the ass to get there. I followed them in 2013 and 2014 because of Robles, Henry, Cahill and McCarty. They are maddening though, especially BWP.

During the 2014 World Cup, I became hooked, I guess. I had been a casual MNT fan for a while, but never followed any of the foreign leagues.

Once I heard that the Yankees were involved with bringing in NYCFC and the NYRB's blew up their team, sort of, at the end of their, arguably, best season, it was easy for me to make the switch.

I remembered Villa's brilliance during the 2010 WC and, once I figured out who Frank Lampard was, I thought this might be something interesting and the Yankees were involved.

I live about two hours north of NYC. The new Metro North stop near Yankee Stadium makes it much easier to get to games, whether Yankee or NYCFC.

I followed City last year because of Lampard, but blame them and Frank for his delay in coming to NYCFC. I understand why City and Frank did it, but you don't do that to a new team/fan base. It's blatantly dishonest.

That cost City my allegiance. I'm a Chelsea fan now, but will follow City because of the obvious MFC/NYCFC relationship.

I've been to three games this year, the opener (Villa's first home game), the Portland game in April when Tony Taylor blew out his knee and Saunders drew his eventual, bullshit, one-game suspension. As well as Pirlo's first game, which was my wife's first soccer game in person.

They were all great in their own way's, win or lose.

I guess I should have gone to Frank's first game, too. Sorry. I tried to twice before, but he wasn't there or fit or whatever.

Reactions: Paul and NYCFutbol1