14/ New England - 17,444
15/ Columbus - 15,930
16/ Montreal - 15,769
17/ Chicago - 15,591
18/ Colorado - 15,458
19/ Dallas - 15,425
20/ DC United - 14,847

Looking at these figures i reckon :

Category A : Seattle, Orlando, NYCFC,Portland,Vancouver,Salt Lake and Kansas City are doing the best as they are almost always at capacity.

Category B : San Jose,Toronto,LA,Houston NJRB and Ill include Philadeplhia are doing well but they don't seem to be at capacity. Although they claim to have sell outs, there are always plenty of empty seats. Not sure if tickets are sold and no one turns up or not ?

LA and NJRB should really be in Category A though. Toronto you could argue are just about there. I think expanding the stadium to 30k was probably a bit much.

Category C - Columbus, Montreal, New England,Chicago,Colorado,Dallas, DC - Underperforming as they are some of the biggest cities in North America. I put it partly down to apathy among owners and being in poor stadium situations.

With the Olympics over for boston, hopefully Kraft can get his team in downtown boston where they planned the olympic stadium. That would put NE right up there. DC will move up as well once they move into their new stadium id imagine.

I saw some REALLY interesting (and kind of shocking) attendance stats. Here are the averages and capacity percentages of the top leagues in Europe.

62puf22.jpg

Here is a break down of Serie A. Can't believe how bad it is in Italy...
p3knkm4.jpg

It really puts MLS attendance in perspective. We aren't THAT far off of some of these top leagues. It seems like there are some powerhouses that keep the averages up and some outliers that bring it back down. Pretty crazy.

I saw some REALLY interesting (and kind of shocking) attendance stats. Here are the averages and capacity percentages of the top leagues in Europe.

62puf22.jpg

p3knkm4.jpg

It really puts MLS attendance in perspective. We aren't THAT far off of some of these top leagues. It seems like there are some powerhouses that keep the averages up and some outliers that bring it back down. Pretty crazy.
We've been top ten for a few years now. I'd say it's only a matter of a year or two that we hit top five. It helps that our league and country isn't broke as shit. MLS will be fine. We're on one hell of a trajectory.

The bottom line is, the Brits will never credit our league until it's obviously outperforming the EPL (so I wouldn't hold my breath for that). But they are such a small number of people in the grand scheme. And they tend to avoid normal rational bounds in evaluation.

Who cares? We'll make our own way. It will work. It will be fine. Plenty of room for 2 top, top English language driven leagues.

A lot can definitely be attributed to the economic climate in Europe, but still its good to see some things put in perspective.

62puf22.jpg

p3knkm4.jpg

Many of the underperforming teams in terms of attendance play in awful stadiums that are practically falling apart. Worst of all they can't even afford to fix the stadiums and fans can't afford to go to games.

While we may complain about stadium situations for a few of the teams in MLS it is nothing compared to what smaller teams in Europe have to cope with.

62puf22.jpg

p3knkm4.jpg

This graph tells a small story. I’m gonna tell you the rest.

These are all lessons for MLS soccer and other leagues to learn from. This is how the biggest league in the world started to collapse. Economic times are another story, but Serie A is not going anywhere and will continue to be a top tier league. They had their heads in their asses and waited too long to do something. So the reversal will take time.

The stadiums there are a disaster. Juventus has the most modern facility and the best attendance to capacity ratio. It also is the only team owned stadium. Most of the other stadiums right now are city owned and the team pays to use the stadiums on match days, which greatly reduces their profits potential. The powerhouse teams are all looking to build their own new stadiums and are hoping it will trickle down through the league. Udinese’s stadium is being renovated to a 25k stadium and only half the stadium is usable right now...so that number is abnormal. Roma and Milan are building state of the art facilities and others are waiting for a green light. The stadiums the teams are using were considered modern 35 years ago and nothing has changed. They are run down and provide no amenities of note. Many were built in the early 1900’s and are not SSS. Not a good way to promote continued success.

Calciopoli hit the league hard. A league wide network of referees on the take and match fixing could have killed the league. It was only like 10 years ago. Sponsors ran from the league. Serie A was known to have the top talent in the world, but could no longer pay them. Those players went to England and Spain. Teams took sanctioned hits and were absent from CL..which is another big blow. But if you follow Serie A, they started to spend money this year again. But Calciopoli is one of the biggest culprits to the decline.

Youth development. From 1990-2004 Italy’s under 21 dominated football and has the most championships. They lost their way, but are on the rise again. When a league has financial problems, youth development becomes a top priority. To be successful all the time, it always needs to be a priority. When the youth talent was down, they had to go out and buy players, which wasn’t a good recipe for a league just hit with scandal.

Then there’s the fans. Most stadiums there, are not family friendly and there’s been an influx of violence. Ultras have ramped it up to murder or severely beating opposing fans. There are some rivalries that are down right dangerous to be around. Lazio and Roma’s battle for Rome is one of the most heated rivalries in the world....but there’s no cotton candy there anymore lol.

This is pretty much the gist of things in Serie A....but believe me, it is not dead and will slowly work it’s way back to the top. The future looks like: England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy to remain the worlds greatest soccer leagues and if MLS doesn’t screw it up...they will join that group.

This graph tells a small story. I’m gonna tell you the rest.

These are all lessons for MLS soccer and other leagues to learn from. This is how the biggest league in the world started to collapse. Economic times are another story, but Serie A is not going anywhere and will continue to be a top tier league. They had their heads in their asses and waited too long to do something. So the reversal will take time.

The stadiums there are a disaster. Juventus has the most modern facility and the best attendance to capacity ratio. It also is the only team owned stadium. Most of the other stadiums right now are city owned and the team pays to use the stadiums on match days, which greatly reduces their profits potential. The powerhouse teams are all looking to build their own new stadiums and are hoping it will trickle down through the league. Udinese’s stadium is being renovated to a 25k stadium and only half the stadium is usable right now...so that number is abnormal. Roma and Milan are building state of the art facilities and others are waiting for a green light. The stadiums the teams are using were considered modern 35 years ago and nothing has changed. They are run down and provide no amenities of note. Many were built in the early 1900’s and are not SSS. Not a good way to promote continued success.

Calciopoli hit the league hard. A league wide network of referees on the take and match fixing could have killed the league. It was only like 10 years ago. Sponsors ran from the league. Serie A was known to have the top talent in the world, but could no longer pay them. Those players went to England and Spain. Teams took sanctioned hits and were absent from CL..which is another big blow. But if you follow Serie A, they started to spend money this year again. But Calciopoli is one of the biggest culprits to the decline.

Youth development. From 1990-2004 Italy’s under 21 dominated football and has the most championships. They lost their way, but are on the rise again. When a league has financial problems, youth development becomes a top priority. To be successful all the time, it always needs to be a priority. When the youth talent was down, they had to go out and buy players, which wasn’t a good recipe for a league just hit with scandal.

Then there’s the fans. Most stadiums there, are not family friendly and there’s been an influx of violence. Ultras have ramped it up to murder or severely beating opposing fans. There are some rivalries that are down right dangerous to be around. Lazio and Roma’s battle for Rome is one of the most heated rivalries in the world....but there’s no cotton candy there anymore lol.

This is pretty much the gist of things in Serie A....but believe me, it is not dead and will slowly work it’s way back to the top. The future looks like: England, Spain, Germany, France and Italy to remain the worlds greatest soccer leagues and if MLS doesn’t screw it up...they will join that group.
Fantastic post. Thanks for some really great insight.

Are the teams trying to get a new stadium anywhere close to making that a reality? Will Milan/Inter and Roma/Lazio still share if they do get a new stadium?

Fantastic post. Thanks for some really great insight.

Are the teams trying to get a new stadium anywhere close to making that a reality? Will Milan/Inter and Roma/Lazio still share if they do get a new stadium?

Actually Sassuolo is the only other club that owns its own stadium, but it is an old remodeled one that they own/share with another team I don't remember. A lower level team.

Well AC Milan has unveiled plans for a privately owned 48k stadium for 2018/2019. They will be the only club there.

Roma is also constructing a privately owned 52k stadium. They will be the only club there. Their owner, whom is American, has been instrumental in getting the clubs to see the benefits of owning their own stadiums.

I already spoke of Udinese's stadium remodel..Napoli, Inter, Fiorentina and Sampdoria have all pledged for new or updated stadiums.

The match fixing and stadiums...opened the way and lead to the rise of the Premier League along with the Hillsborough Stadium Disaster in a weird way. For those not familiar with that and the whole Taylor Report...it's an interesting read. It really was the architect to the PL's dominance through new stadiums and kind of sets the tone for modern Soccer/Football stadiums.

Last edited:
Week/round 23

NYCFC v Montreal - 27,645.

DC v RSL - 17,288.

Philadelphia v NYRB - 18,883.

New England v Toronto - 21,362.

Orlando v Columbus - 26,586.

Kansas City v Houston - 19,882.

Colorado v Los Angeles - 18,597.

Seattle v Vancouver - 53,125.

San Jose v Portland - 18,000.

Chicago v Dallas - 14,209.

Total for Week 23 (10 games) = 235,577

AVG for Week 23 = 23,558

Total After Week 23 (218 games) = 4,630,410

Average After Week 23 = 21,240

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Wow, Seattle turns out and still doesn't get results. Small crowd for Orlando, but still plenty big. DC shows why it needs a new stadium - quickly. Chicago - well, the less said, the better.

Chicago - well, the less said, the better.

Location, location, location! This is what happens when you build a stadium in the middle of nowhere, an hour away from the city center, with no direct public transit links. And it's left the local community with $10 millions of debt.

Meanwhile another 11,442 at Sacramento against Seattle reserves.

How come Saturday's NYCFC match was officially a sellout when they were still selling tickets 5 minutes after kick-off?

Location, location, location! This is what happens when you build a stadium in the middle of nowhere, an hour away from the city center, with no direct public transit links.
Same for the NE Revolution. Maybe for Philadelphia too although I'm not as sure about that one.