2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our roster is still poorly constructed and we are going to see a lot of the same problems as last year.

How do you play Mix, Poku, Lampard, and Pirlo in same midfield? How do you give help up top to Villa? Do we have wingers? Do we have a defensive line?

We have guys like Wingert, Mix, AJ and now White are making too much money compared to their role which limits our ability to fix these problems.

2017 might be our year when we can finish getting rid of deadwood and sign DPs that can actually play more than sell tickets.

Reactions: MagnusPax and Gene
5. Year two teams tend to not have that same early slump that year one teams have. The organization knows itself a lot better now and so do the players.

6. We have all of our DP's here at the start of the season. This is a big thing, especially considering how many early games we had to play without Villa when he was hurt.
I think this is a great point. We started horribly. One win in our first 15 games and that was against 10 men with us in our first home game with I think over 40k in attendance.

Then we played fairly well when we got in a rhythm (June/early July).

Then the disruption of 5 new players took its toll. And then we played alright again for a stretch and then fizzled at the end when we had nothing to play for.

Assuming we are mostly healthy (I know, the agists among us will take pot shots at this), we have a really good chance to make waves from the very start next year. Not being in a massive hole by June will do us wonders.

Our roster is still poorly constructed and we are going to see a lot of the same problems as last year.

How do you play Mix, Poku, Lampard, and Pirlo in same midfield? How do you give help up top to Villa? Do we have wingers? Do we have a defensive line?

We have guys like Wingert, Mix, AJ and now White are making too much money compared to their role which limits our ability to fix these problems.

2017 might be our year when we can finish getting rid of deadwood and sign DPs that can actually play more than sell tickets.
^^^This.

Despite Major League Soccer's "Calvin Ball" approach to parity, we're entering our second season once again with a horrendous lack of talent. So far all this team has done is shed several of last seasons whipping boys and replaced them with one potential 2016 version.

IF the Pirlo/Lampard/Iraola combo can elevate this team to 15 wins, then I'd consider 2016 a success.

On the other hand, if MLS wants to show us a little LA Galaxy love and finagle the rules so we can get a player on this squad that can carry us on his back (ala Drogba) then we can revisit this.

^^^This.

Despite Major League Soccer's "Calvin Ball" approach to parity, we're entering our second season once again with a horrendous lack of talent. So far all this team has done is shed several of last seasons whipping boys and replaced them with one potential 2016 version.

IF the Pirlo/Lampard/Iraola combo can elevate this team to 15 wins, then I'd consider 2016 a success.

On the other hand, if MLS wants to show us a little LA Galaxy love and finagle the rules so we can get a player on this squad that can carry us on his back (ala Drogba) then we can revisit this.
I believe this shows a remarkable conviction that Kreis got the best possible results out of the talent we had in 2015.

I, for one, disagree.

Good coaching and a lineup that consistently features our 3 DPs, plus Poku, plus Mix, plus a couple new TAM players. I can't see how that is (a) "a horrendous lack of talent" and (b) a squad with odds against reaching 15 wins (a mark reached by Columbus, Montreal and DC last year).

So far all this team has done is shed several of last seasons whipping boys and replaced them with one potential 2016 version.
TAM was just announced. No college draft yet. Transfer window hasn't started. What are the big moves you would have expected by now?

I believe this shows a remarkable conviction that Kreis got the best possible results out of the talent we had in 2015.

I, for one, disagree.

Good coaching and a lineup that consistently features our 3 DPs, plus Poku, plus Mix, plus a couple new TAM players. I can't see how that is (a) "a horrendous lack of talent" and (b) a squad with odds against reaching 15 wins (a mark reached by Columbus, Montreal and DC last year).

TAM was just announced. No college draft yet. Transfer window hasn't started. What are the big moves you would have expected by now?
Last years team played for Kreis the same way this year's Chelsea team played for Mourinho - they went through the motions but there was an obvious lack of extra effort on so many levels..... once Mourinho was sacked, lo and behold the same players played with a new conviction and got a solid win (granted against Sunderland) with only a week of interim coaching. I fully expect to see a different display from the same NYCFC guys once PV has them in real training sessions (not to be confused with post-season holiday practices).

Reactions: JayH and FootyLovin

I, for one, disagree.

Quite frankly I haven't nor do I expect the team to make any big moves. The way the rules are set up and the cluster**** we have at MF is going to prevent us from doing that. As I mentioned previously, I'm excited to see what the DP's can do, but I'm also not going to stick my head in the sand and think we're going to get a full season out of Pirlo and/or Lampard.

It's fine with me to add Mix and Poku to the equation, but what about the other guys on the field and off the bench? With all due respects, the general consensus on this board at any time during the season was that guys like Wingert, Mena, Jacobsen, Ballouchy , Hernandez, et al sucked ass. These guys are what they are and PV isn't coaching them up. No way.

MCFC isn't going to send us any game changers from EDS and with TAM, I'll start believing in that CFG genius when I see it.

We had 10 wins in 2015. I guess I was talking out of my ass by using 15 as a yardstick, but my point is still stands that the way this team is constructed at the present, squeezing out enough points to reach .500 would make 2016 a success.

Quite frankly I haven't nor do I expect the team to make any big moves. The way the rules are set up and the cluster**** we have at MF is going to prevent us from doing that. As I mentioned previously, I'm excited to see what the DP's can do, but I'm also not going to stick my head in the sand and think we're going to get a full season out of Pirlo and/or Lampard.

It's fine with me to add Mix and Poku to the equation, but what about the other guys on the field and off the bench? With all due respects, the general consensus on this board at any time during the season was that guys like Wingert, Mena, Jacobsen, Ballouchy , Hernandez, et al sucked ass. These guys are what they are and PV isn't coaching them up. No way.

MCFC isn't going to send us any game changers from EDS and with TAM, I'll start believing in that CFG genius when I see it.

We had 10 wins in 2015. I guess I was talking out of my ass by using 15 as a yardstick, but my point is still stands that the way this team is constructed at the present, squeezing out enough points to reach .500 would make 2016 a success.

I'm usually a pessimist (aka realist) too, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some upgrades yet this year.

It's very tough to build a team quickly thru transactions within MLS. But between TAM and EDS loans, we absolutely have the tools to bring in 3-5 new players that will instantly be in the top 11 in talent on our roster (even a guy like Vincent in the draft would probably be better than Wingert), and we have 6 more weeks to do so. Vieira isn't even here full time yet.

Watching Toronto's offseason so far me has me anxious as well, but let's have some patience and see what happens in January.

EDIT: I could see a Vincent - Mena - Teixiera - Iraola defense being more than sufficient to be a mid-range club, assuming PV can coach up the offense and infuse it with some EDS talent or another TAM player at striker.

I'm usually a pessimist (aka realist) too, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some upgrades yet this year.

It's very tough to build a team quickly thru transactions within MLS. But between TAM and EDS loans, we absolutely have the tools to bring in 3-5 new players that will instantly be in the top 11 in talent on our roster (even a guy like Vincent in the draft would probably be better than Wingert), and we have 6 more weeks to do so. Vieira isn't even here full time yet.

Watching Toronto's offseason so far me has me anxious as well, but let's have some patience and see what happens in January.

EDIT: I could see a Vincent - Mena - Teixiera - Iraola defense being more than sufficient to be a mid-range club, assuming PV can coach up the offense and infuse it with some EDS talent or another TAM player at striker.
Yeah but every team is going to have the ability to use TAM. So while we are going to be able to use TAM to add a player or two or our roster, the overall level of competition should get better as well.

I understand the impatience to see something special happen. But ...
the general consensus on this board at any time during the season was that guys like Wingert, Mena, Jacobsen, Ballouchy , Hernandez, et al sucked ass.
Actually, I think the board generally considers these guys to be mostly serviceable backups with the jury still out on Mena. The problem was that most games we had three of them plus Grabavoy starting last year, often in place of Mix and/or Poku being in the starting XI.

Who in the league has a better top 5 than Villa, Pirlo, Lamp, Mix, Poku? Who is going to have a better top 7 once we add two TAMs? Iraola back and healthy - do we really think he was a bad pickup or was he a victim of circumstance (health, midseason integration and coaching)? That's 8 of our starting XI.

Complete the XI with RJ, Saunders and Mullins. Top bench players: Shelton, TMac, Mena, Taylor, Ballouchy. Maybe Brandt and our college pick.

Oh, and this doesn't include any depth or quality from EDS.

Will we suffer injuries? Almost certainly. But so will other clubs. And when it happens to Pirlo and Lamps that just provides extra opportunity for Mix and Poku to move into their more natural starting positions.

Will other clubs upgrade with TAM too? Some yes, some no. But no one will splash more cash. And as has been pointed out, when cash can be spent it makes it easier to build a roster. With the new TAM (which, holy crap, what a Garber-gift for us) our biggest challenge is depth, not starting XI.

But even that, we're in pretty good shape, especially if the goal is for us to win 5 more games next year than we did this year. Low bar considering how awful we were this year.
I guess, based on the history of CFG, I'm a believer. Transfer window opens soon. We'll find out in the weeks ahead.

I understand the impatience to see something special happen. But ...

Actually, I think the board generally considers these guys to be mostly serviceable backups with the jury still out on Mena. The problem was that most games we had three of them plus Grabavoy starting last year, often in place of Mix and/or Poku being in the starting XI.

Who in the league has a better top 5 than Villa, Pirlo, Lamp, Mix, Poku? Who is going to have a better top 7 once we add two TAMs? Iraola back and healthy - do we really think he was a bad pickup or was he a victim of circumstance (health, midseason integration and coaching)? That's 8 of our starting XI.

Complete the XI with RJ, Saunders and Mullins. Top bench players: Shelton, TMac, Mena, Taylor, Ballouchy. Maybe Brandt and our college pick.

Oh, and this doesn't include any depth or quality from EDS.

Will we suffer injuries? Almost certainly. But so will other clubs. And when it happens to Pirlo and Lamps that just provides extra opportunity for Mix and Poku to move into their more natural starting positions.

Will other clubs upgrade with TAM too? Some yes, some no. But no one will splash more cash. And as has been pointed out, when cash can be spent it makes it easier to build a roster. With the new TAM (which, holy crap, what a Garber-gift for us) our biggest challenge is depth, not starting XI.

But even that, we're in pretty good shape, especially if the goal is for us to win 5 more games next year than we did this year. Low bar considering how awful we were this year.

I guess, based on the history of CFG, I'm a believer. Transfer window opens soon. We'll find out in the weeks ahead.
That's nice on paper but we need to see Viera be able to come up with a lineup that fits Mix on the same field as Pirlo and Poku on the same field as Lampard. If we play a 4-3-3 with Villa as CF than its not going to happen unless we play someone out of position. Can that lineup defend? Does Lampard have enough legs to play more than 45-60 minutes?

I think the big thing that CFG has to prove is that it can work with a restrictive salary cap and exploit loopholes in the roster rules like teams like the Galaxy, Sounders, Red Bulls, etc. I would like to be optimistic but I cannot really think of a savvy move the team has made besides getting lucky with signing Poku and RJ Allen.

Reactions: Gene
That's nice on paper but we need to see Viera be able to come up with a lineup that fits Mix on the same field as Pirlo and Poku on the same field as Lampard. If we play a 4-3-3 with Villa as CF than its not going to happen unless we play someone out of position. Can that lineup defend? Does Lampard have enough legs to play more than 45-60 minutes?

I think the big thing that CFG has to prove is that it can work with a restrictive salary cap and exploit loopholes in the roster rules like teams like the Galaxy, Sounders, Red Bulls, etc. I would like to be optimistic but I cannot really think of a savvy move the team has made besides getting lucky with signing Poku and RJ Allen.
Seems to me, before he came here with no offseason and was pretty quickly hampered by injury, we all thought Iraola was a pretty savvy move.

I also seem to recall more than a bit of Pirlo worship before and after his signing.

Lampard, as has been mentioned, hit wood 6 times in a short season and should be better coming up.

As for the "luck" of the RJ and Poku signings, if we are going to blame them for the signings that don't work out, don't they get credit for more than luck on the ones that do?

And BTW, I also remember a few people being happy with the signings of Villa and Mix.

Seems to me, before he came here with no offseason and was pretty quickly hampered by injury, we all thought Iraola was a pretty savvy move.

I also seem to recall more than a bit of Pirlo worship before and after his signing.

Lampard, as has been mentioned, hit wood 6 times in a short season and should be better coming up.

As for the "luck" of the RJ and Poku signings, if we are going to blame them for the signings that don't work out, don't they get credit for more than luck on the ones that do?

And BTW, I also remember a few people being happy with the signings of Villa and Mix.
I also think Pirlo shanking a dozen straight free kicks was an aberration. He's one of the best takers ever, and if he scores the right percentage of those next season it will be a measurable game changer.

I agree with what you said on Lampard and Villa. I have a lot of faith that CFG will get us great European talent and spend money on those DP spots. I am not including the DPs into savvy moves because we can pay them whatever we want.

Mix's salary really does alot of damage to our cap because we have to use nearly all of our allocation money on him. I am bullish on him as a player but we are paying alot of money for a player who has a similar skill set to Pirlo and we can't seem to use him properly on the pitch. Iraola still has to prove that he can stay healthy for a whole season before we talk about him as a savvy move. I would also like to see what his base salary is next season. The player's union has him listed at 200k but was that 200k prorated since he came in the summer transfer window?

Does the value that Poku/Allen bring in outweigh overspending cap wise that we did on Grabavoy, Calle, Nemec, Wingert, Brovsky, AJ, and Hernandez? Regardless of whether it was JK or Reyna that made those roster moves, its CFG responsibility to put someone in charge understands how to exploit the salary cap to get the best possible value for those non DP signing and our moves last year leave a lot to be desired.

Don't forget that we are going to lose Pirlo for 6 weeks in the middle of the summer, and inevitably someone to an injury. Plus the occasional mid-week game.

Point being, depth is great, even if one of our better players has to sit on the bench in the opening day, penciled-in lineup. I'm sure PV is smart enough to either fit all our best pieces on the field, or recognize that we'd be better team leaving one of them off, and then play that formation instead.

It's been a slow week for NYCFC. The biggest news was probably the Lampard marriage. When will the preseason schedule be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.