OF.
A.
BITCH!

USATSI_8528102.jpg

USA Today Sports
LA Galaxy transfer defender Omar Gonzalez to Mexico's CF Pachuca
December 22, 20151:54 PM EST
MLSsoccer staffMLSsoccer.com

The LA Galaxy announced on Tuesday that they have transferred defender Omar Gonzalez to Mexican outfit CF Pachuca. Per league and club policy, the terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Gonzalez, a 27-year-old US international, departs after making 180 regular-season appearances with the LA Galaxy since being selected third overall in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. During his time with the Galaxy, he was part of three MLS Cup-winning teams, has been selected to four MLS Best XIs and captured the 2011 MLS Defedner of the Year award.

“We thank Omar for his contribution and dedication to this club throughout the past seven years,” said Galaxy head coach and general manager Bruce Arena in a team release. “We wish Omar the best of luck with Pachuca.”

Think we could have used him? ;)

I hate seeing top MLS guys head to Mexico. It's ridiculous. A better league by a little bit, but if you really want to go "overseas" to get better, then really go "over seas".
Teams can't afford to keep these guys,like Omar Gonzo. Luis Gil was not performing at RSL, so no big loss there.

Reactions: Kjbert
You also have to keep in mind that Omar & Luis has family ties in Mexico. The lure of being closer to family and a new contract can sometimes be too good to pass up (I can also attest to that personally, although to a much smaller extent). Yes, it's arguable that Liga MX and MLS are comparable competitively, but keep in mind that these two players are still very young and if they so desire to move to Europe one day, the door is still open.

I'm confident that MLS as a whole will not only replace the lost talent it's losing this offseason, but also add to its talent pool to make the league more talented every year as it has done in the past 5-10 years. I suppose we'll know for sure in a couple weeks when the transfer window finally opens.

Other rumors:

Jermaine Jones to LA Galaxy
Ashley Cole to LA Galaxy
Shane O'Neill to LA Galaxy or Seattle Sounders

In another talent drain report, over here the Fail on Sunday are reporting that David Accam had a trial with Stoke and they are planning to make a bid for him.

In another talent drain report, over here the Fail on Sunday are reporting that David Accam had a trial with Stoke and they are planning to make a bid for him.
This is a good thing. The more big transfers that MLS can facilitate, the more money comes in to the league and the league then replenishes with cheaper/less discovered talent. There has to be another kid on the Ghana (insert African/SA/Central American) national team that can take his place?

Last edited:
Th

is is a good thing. The more big transfers that MLS can facilitate, the more money comes in to the league and the league then replenishes with cheaper/less discovered talent. There has to be another kid on the Ghana (insert African/SA/Central American) national team that can take his place?

The price will have to be right obviously. An argument can be made that you want to keep as much budding talent as you can in the MLS. However, I agree with you that the way MLS scouting & development has improved this past decade, I'm all for selling ambitious players who wants to play in bigger leagues (for now at least) at the right price.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
I think Accam and Afful moving are bad for MLS. Chicago won't necessarily reinvest those funds. Columbus doesn't offer the cache that other markets do - will be difficult for them to replace Afful.

I think the Omar and Juninho deals were no brainers for LA Galaxy. Omar was overpriced - they could have sold him for a bag of balls. Juninho netted them some allocation money that they need. They have attacking players in their Academy. They think they have a solid Juninho replacement but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.