2024 General MLS Transfer Thread

I was curious on the facts around this.

Heber scored in his first two games for Seattle, and not again after that - another 20 appearances and 10 starts. Total of 2 goals and 1 assist in 1,061 minutes. His shots and shots on goal were also way down as the season progressed.*

He was on $930,000 for Seattle last year, which is way too much money. I do think he can be an effective option in MLS, but not at that price.

Seattle paid us $400K in GAM for Heber, plus up to another $150K depending on performance.
-----
* - This is too bad. He's always seemed like a great guy and a terrific locker room presence. He's only 32, so it would have been good to have seen him get a few more good years.

Heber scored in his first two games for Seattle, and not again after that - another 20 appearances and 10 starts. Total of 2 goals and 1 assist in 1,061 minutes. His shots and shots on goal were also way down as the season progressed.*

He was on $930,000 for Seattle last year, which is way too much money. I do think he can be an effective option in MLS, but not at that price.

Seattle paid us $400K in GAM for Heber, plus up to another $150K depending on performance.
-----
* - This is too bad. He's always seemed like a great guy and a terrific locker room presence. He's only 32, so it would have been good to have seen him get a few more good years.
Lee borderline pulled a heist on Seattle. I didn’t expect Heber to fall that far but nothing he did after 2019 justified what Seattle paid.

-----
He's not a free agent, so a potential next MLS contract would be pricey. I'd take him back at $100k-$300k.

Lee borderline pulled a heist on Seattle.
In the online analysis of Lee, these kinds of moves rarely get (or can get) the notice they deserve - the players let go, the GAM finagled from other clubs, the deals properly walked away from. For this reason I think a job like Lee's is much harder to review from outside the org.

In the online analysis of Lee, these kinds of moves rarely get (or can get) the notice they deserve - the players let go, the GAM finagled from other clubs, the deals properly walked away from. For this reason I think a job like Lee's is much harder to review from outside the org.
It would help if there was any sort of public accounting for GAM/TAM. Getting it is great and all, but what did you use it for?

It seems the rest of the world refers to MLS as a retirement league. But at the same time I hear about the need to adapt and how it’s physically demanding. Why?

It seems the rest of the world refers to MLS as a retirement league. But at the same time I hear about the need to adapt and how it’s physically demanding. Why?
Are the people saying the former the same as the ones saying the latter? It's likely all of those are just not even watching MLS anyway.

Reactions: Gene

The only thing people who don't watch MLS know about MLS is that it's the place where Messi, Beckham, Lampard, Kaka, Henry, Gerrard, Schweinsteiger, etc. went to play when they got done with their careers in Europe so they think its a retirement league. When in fact The vast majority of the league is young players trying to get a shot in Europe or veterans who are good players but not quite good enough to make it to Europe. Combine young hungry players fighting for their big break with veterans who often make up for their slightly less technical skills with grit and hustle and you get a very physical league.

The "retirement league" people know nothing about the league. The average starting lineup age for MLS teams last season was 25.6 years old, I don't know how anyone could call that "retirement age".

Well I likely didn’t explain the question properly. But the new folks that have come to MLS say they need to get used to the physicality of Playing on MLS, or I’ve heard similar type statements, which I always found puzzling. But have heard the pace is faster or such. But for me these statements contradict, one one side it’s a lower inferior league and ex premier league players would do well, then they need time to adjust due to it’s physically demanding.

Well I likely didn’t explain the question properly. But the new folks that have come to MLS say they need to get used to the physicality of Playing on MLS, or I’ve heard similar type statements, which I always found puzzling. But have heard the pace is faster or such. But for me these statements contradict, one one side it’s a lower inferior league and ex premier league players would do well, then they need time to adjust due to it’s physically demanding.
I think the idea is that players in MLS compensate for lesser skills and speed with physicality and effort. So some better international players come here thinking they can coast, but then they get roughed up a bit, and maybe outhustled, and then they figure out they need to work a little harder than they expected to do well. Their superior speed and skills will still give them the edge, but they still have to work for it.

Reactions: Shwafta and Jg65