2016 USOC Draw

Understood - but there is so little money in this that you can't ask a team from South Boston to travel to Los Angeles. No one is paying for that just yet.
Well they could.... except that the B-squad would get on a bus a week ahead of time and nobody would like the product on the field.....

Reactions: adam
Well they could.... except that the B-squad would get on a bus a week ahead of time and nobody would like the product on the field.....

But they couldn't. South Boston FC can't afford to rent a bus or fly on a plane to play Orange County SC.

If there was a sponsor (Etihad) for the US Open Cup, then maybe it happens. For now, this is what we get.

Understood - but there is so little money in this that you can't ask a team from South Boston to travel to Los Angeles. No one is paying for that just yet.

Sure, but how about the team from South Boston getting drawn against Philadephia Union, or DC United...or NYCFC? My point is, how come we are only able to draw teams from the same city as us at this stage, even though there is only one other qualifier from the city who can get through to our round each year? It's like if the FA Cup 3rd round, when the PL and Championship teams enter, were seeded so that those new entrants could only draw teams from within a 20 mile radius. Eventually the fans will get sick of facing the same team over and over again.

Reactions: adam
Sure, but how about the team from South Boston getting drawn against Philadephia Union, or DC United...or NYCFC? My point is, how come we are only able to draw teams from the same city as us at this stage, even though there is only one other qualifier from the city who can get through to our round each year? It's like if the FA Cup 3rd round, when the PL and Championship teams enter, were seeded so that those new entrants could only draw teams from within a 20 mile radius. Eventually the fans will get sick of facing the same team over and over again.

Lots of these teams are semi pro. Those guys need to be at work on Thursday morning would be my guess. Would love to play Southie FC at their high school ground or whatever. But I would imagine those guys have real jobs come Thursday morning

Lots of these teams are semi pro. Those guys need to be at work on Thursday morning would be my guess. Would love to play Southie FC at their high school ground or whatever. But I would imagine those guys have real jobs come Thursday morning

My home town team plays in the 7th tier of English football. All of its players are semi-pro - they also have "real" jobs. A number of their games are within a 15 mile area, and most are within 70 miles, but the league schedule still made them do such trips as Monday evening games to the likes of Dorchester and Paulton, both in the region of 160-180 miles away - the equivalent of travelling from NYC to Philadelphia - for games with a 7:45pm kick-off.

Come to think of it, there was a team in their league last season (and will be again this coming one) which is based at the very end of the Cornish peninsula - the long, thin sticky-out bit of southwestern England. Their closest team was 80 miles away; the furthest was about 350 miles out. Bear in mind these are teams playing a 44 game season, plus about 4 cups, at least two of which are national. They have to travel long distances around once a week for the entire season. It's simply expected of players to be able to handle it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
My home town team plays in the 7th tier of English football. All of its players are semi-pro - they also have "real" jobs. A number of their games are within a 15 mile area, and most are within 70 miles, but the league schedule still made them do such trips as Monday evening games to the likes of Dorchester and Paulton, both in the region of 160-180 miles away - the equivalent of travelling from NYC to Philadelphia - for games with a 7:45pm kick-off.

Come to think of it, there was a team in their league last season (and will be again this coming one) which is based at the very end of the Cornish peninsula - the long, thin sticky-out bit of southwestern England. Their closest team was 80 miles away; the furthest was about 350 miles out. Bear in mind these are teams playing a 44 game season, plus about 4 cups, at least two of which are national. They have to travel long distances around once a week for the entire season. It's simply expected of players to be able to handle it.

Unfortunately, you have a rabid football culture. If there was a pyramid for American Football, I would imagine we would do it similarly to the UK. But for soccer, it just wouldn't fly. The average Joe working as a pharmaceutical rep in Boston doesn't have a boss that understands why he needs to lose two days of work to playing a soccer match in Philadelphia. I wish that wasn't the case. Hopefully, one day!

Chris Wingert scores the winning penalty.

Was last year a bad dream?